PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, TP2, Pre, Pixi
Carrier: Sprint

newone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How to get a FREE Navigator for your Touch Pro2.

didnt know that. i always preffered bing though for its movie and gas prices search features
Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

deadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deadwrong03 Send a message via MSN to deadwrong03 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwrong03 Send a message via Skype™ to deadwrong03

from my experience Bing is alot slower than Google Maps as far as determining your location, i prefer Google Maps, it finds satellites much faster i only use Bing for the novelty of finding gas prices and movie theaters and such
Old 11-15-2009, 12:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Rogers

wraith79 is keeping up the good workwraith79 is keeping up the good work

If you want something that is Text to Speech, you have to pay, IGO8, Navigon and others like those that has TTS support! As for amaze gps, its good, but, uses your data plan! IGO8 and others I marked above are standalone, meaning, if you put your phone into airplane mode, the GPS will still work! If you want to check it out go here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88692
I've been using IGO8 since I had my HTC Vogue!
Old 11-15-2009, 01:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint/Employee

c0011j is becoming a great contributor

I used to use Gmaps, but after I used Bing i changed my mind.
Simply speaking, Bing is Turn-By-Turn while Google Maps isn't. I will use google maps if I am not trying to get directions but when I am needing specific directions Bing is the way to go.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

bullet2300 is keeping up the good workbullet2300 is keeping up the good work
Question Re: How to get a FREE Navigator for your Touch Pro2.

Bing is definitely better for directions than Google Maps. They need to step it up!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

This is an age-old discussion... Google Maps offers driving directions, but it is NOT a navigator... that is, it does not offer turn-by-turn updates, spoken or not.
The reason is rumored to mostly be licensing... Google paid for the right to use map data supplied by third parties, but part of the licensing deal was that they are not allowed to offer a navigation service with it.

The result is that they will show you were to go, and show you a blinking dot that happens to tell you were you are, but the directions do no update as you drive. You have to figure out how far you are from the next turn, etc. on your own. Its basically tantamount to printing the directions out from your PC beforehand and following it while driving. Not the same as having an in-dash GPS as any GPS user will tell you.

In fact, the only advantage to having a GPS function in Google Maps is that you don't have to tell it your starting location.

If you want a Navigator, then yes, you will need one of the apps wraith79 mentioned, that usually includes spoken directions and works exactly like a standalone GPS navigator.

Bing, on the other hand, is a perfectly acceptable alternative that uses your data connection (just like Google Maps). They have licensed maps that allow them to use it for navigation, so navigate it does! I actually find it more accurate and up to date than iGo and some of the other paid apps, since the data is LIVE in the cloud. Microsoft kept the UI pretty simple, but if you pay attention to it, it updates in real time and tells you how much farther until the next turn and when to turn (no voices at all, just beeps and tones).

Now, the real clincher is going to be Google's Navigator... Google's street view project, etc, has enabled them to no longer need to license maps from third parties... they now have enough mapping data of their own to do whatever they want with it. If you've seen the Navigator on the Droid, you know what I'm talking about- spoken TTS as well as speech recognition using the Goog-411 routines (Bing actually has a similar feature to recognize spoken destinations, but still no TTS).
Right now, its only in Android 2.0, but there are rumors it will roll out to other smartphones capable of Gmaps with a GPS as well.
http://www.mopocket.com/2009/10/google-navigation.php
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Airave
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Edwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Bing is way better than Google Maps.
I agree. Bing is much better as a Navigation program. Not nearly as good as a real Navigation app, though. Bing follows the cursor closer and better than Google, and shows large turn by turn directions, along with blip noises to alert you to upcoming turns.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: T-Mobile TP2
Carrier: T-Mobile US

zylograth is a n00b

CoPilot Live 8 is only 34.99, I find it worsk quite well for the price.
Radio 4.49.25.17
(RETIRED)HTC TyTn (HERM200)
(RETIRED) HTC Blue Angel
Old 11-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, TP2, Pre, Pixi

newone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuff

Co Pilot 8 looks NICE. might buy it, but Ive heard their maps are terribly inaccurate, out of date, and never get updated (eventhought the feature is built in), hmmm, i dunno
Old 11-17-2009, 03:43 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

lol he just taught people how to use bing.

I wonder if I could get some thanks out of showing people how to look up restaurants

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
bing, free, gps, navigation, touch pro 2