PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre and proud of it!
Carrier: Sprint

Rafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Rafy0003
Re: CDMA version missing features? Anyway to add these features from the GSM version?

It will take about 45 days for a refund if you cancel your Sprint account as well. They mail the check out to you after 45 days of cancellation.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid 2
Carrier: Verizon

xenokira is becoming a great contributor
Re: CDMA version missing features? Anyway to add these features from the GSM version?

For #2. In Google Maps (and Garmin for that matter) my GPS kicks in within just a few seconds my activating it. For just looking up stuff in the area, Google Maps seems to successfully triangulate my location on the cell towers (GPS disabled) to 4700m..which is a ways, but it works for a very rough approximation for my location.

I'm (obviously) using stock ROM and no extra software other than Google Maps & QuickGPS
Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

For Google Maps, Advanced Forward Link Trilateration (AFLT) works fine on the Sprint version. This is not aGPS/GPS but cell tower triangulation and it works instantly and accuratley on the Touch Pro 2, Snap, Treo Pro and Intrepid. I have never seen AFLT work on CDMA and Bing though. Must have to do with the API & Sprint.

As others have mentioned, the weather/GPS thing is coming with Manilla 2.5+ and may be in our WM6.5 update.

Add caller is not there b/c CDMA conference calls are limited to 3 parties.

At least our weather shows up in the calendar, unlike AT&Ts , we have 3.5mm jack and world-phone ability (CDMA + GSM)
Old 10-29-2009, 12:47 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Threadstarter

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Okay, so after some checking I guess Google Maps does work. I just figured it wouldn't because the weather and Bing didn't.

All of you guys using Google Maps, can you see if Bing also works? Because Bing is way, WAY better than Google Maps. If only 1 of them work, I'd much rather it be Bing than Google Maps. Maybe there is some setting somewhere that I am missing?
Old 10-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
So I just got the Sprint version of the Touch Pro 2. Much to my surprise, it is lacking some functionality of its GSM counterpart.

#1: The Sprint dialer screen has a "Hold" button where the GSM version has an "Add Call" button. It sure was nice being able to instantly and easily conference in 1 or more other parties into a call.

#2: Bing and Google Maps can't instantly detect my position on this Sprint version the way they do on the GSM version. If I go into settings and use GPS to get the location, I have to wait a few minutes for the GPS to locate me. On the GSM version it finds you (presumably by using the cell towers) within about 5 seconds of you opening the app. The "Locate Me" option in Bing is actually greyed out when installing it on the Sprint Touch Pro 2. Is there any way to get this functionality?

#3: This one is not as big of a deal, but the weather app doesn't know where I am. On the GSM version, the weather sets itself to the correct city automatically. You can add another city if you like, but it automatically picks up your current city. I don't care about this one too much, but it would be nice. The other 2 (no "Add Call" and no "Locate Me") are borderline deal breakers for me.

Are these limitations just part of the Sprint ROM, or are they limitations of the CDMA technology itself? If this is a limitation of CDMA itself, then that is a major dissapointment to me. In fact, had I know about this beforehand I probably would have never left AT&T for Sprint. I got caught up in the cheaper pricing, and saw the Sprint version had a 3.5mm jack, but I wasn't aware I would have to give up my Bing/Google Maps and conference calling.

If this is a limitation in CDMA itself, then how on earth can anyone claim this is better than GSM? And also, if this is a limitation of CDMA itself, does anyone know what I would need to do in order to reverse this and port my numbers back to AT&T? Is that even possible or would I have to open a new account? Or if I port to T-Mobile, how long do i have to wait for Sprint to give me a refund on the 4 Touch Pro 2's I just bought?

I guess not too many people have owned the GSM version and the CDMA version, so you don't really see posts mentioning this stuff before you buy the CDMA version. After using the GSM version for several months, I don't know if I can give these features up.
1) thats a GSM feature, CDMA networks dont support conference calling like they do so its a mute point to add this.

2)Google maps will be included and gps works fine in any custom rom, mine is a gsm port of 6.5

3) you're referring to sense UI, and this will also be included in custom roms such as mine.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:19 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

It is a shame that there needs to be these differences though. Will 4g eliminate a lot of these, or will it not change a thing?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2