PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 11:20 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CDMA version missing features? Anyway to add these features from the GSM version?

So I just got the Sprint version of the Touch Pro 2. Much to my surprise, it is lacking some functionality of its GSM counterpart.

#1: The Sprint dialer screen has a "Hold" button where the GSM version has an "Add Call" button. It sure was nice being able to instantly and easily conference in 1 or more other parties into a call.

#2: Bing and Google Maps can't instantly detect my position on this Sprint version the way they do on the GSM version. If I go into settings and use GPS to get the location, I have to wait a few minutes for the GPS to locate me. On the GSM version it finds you (presumably by using the cell towers) within about 5 seconds of you opening the app. The "Locate Me" option in Bing is actually greyed out when installing it on the Sprint Touch Pro 2. Is there any way to get this functionality?

#3: This one is not as big of a deal, but the weather app doesn't know where I am. On the GSM version, the weather sets itself to the correct city automatically. You can add another city if you like, but it automatically picks up your current city. I don't care about this one too much, but it would be nice. The other 2 (no "Add Call" and no "Locate Me") are borderline deal breakers for me.

Are these limitations just part of the Sprint ROM, or are they limitations of the CDMA technology itself? If this is a limitation of CDMA itself, then that is a major dissapointment to me. In fact, had I know about this beforehand I probably would have never left AT&T for Sprint. I got caught up in the cheaper pricing, and saw the Sprint version had a 3.5mm jack, but I wasn't aware I would have to give up my Bing/Google Maps and conference calling.

If this is a limitation in CDMA itself, then how on earth can anyone claim this is better than GSM? And also, if this is a limitation of CDMA itself, does anyone know what I would need to do in order to reverse this and port my numbers back to AT&T? Is that even possible or would I have to open a new account? Or if I port to T-Mobile, how long do i have to wait for Sprint to give me a refund on the 4 Touch Pro 2's I just bought?

I guess not too many people have owned the GSM version and the CDMA version, so you don't really see posts mentioning this stuff before you buy the CDMA version. After using the GSM version for several months, I don't know if I can give these features up.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: CDMA version missing features? Anyway to add these features from the GSM version?

2.) Google Maps find me in a few seconds. Have you run Quick GPS?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:31 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Threadstarter

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: CDMA version missing features? Anyway to add these features from the GSM version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGOvoruhk View Post
Yes, I've run quick gps. But that is my point- on the GSM version you don't have to run quick gps. You can be in a basement and if you open Bing it finds you instantly. I'm pretty sure it uses cell tower data.

Obviously for turn by turn directions or something you want as GPS lock. But if you are just trying to find out what movies are currently playing in your area, or traffic conditions in your area, or whatever- cell tower location data is fine for that, and much faster than a GPS lock.

There just has to be some way to make it work. If Sprint's family locator (or whatever it's called) workd, then there has to be a way to make Bing work too...

By the way, Bing is 100x better than Google maps. You should try it sometime. It sucks having to use the GPS to get located, but it has more features than Google Maps.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
So I just got the Sprint version of the Touch Pro 2. Much to my surprise, it is lacking some functionality of its GSM counterpart.

#1: The Sprint dialer screen has a "Hold" button where the GSM version has an "Add Call" button. It sure was nice being able to instantly and easily conference in 1 or more other parties into a call.

#2: Bing and Google Maps can't instantly detect my position on this Sprint version the way they do on the GSM version. If I go into settings and use GPS to get the location, I have to wait a few minutes for the GPS to locate me. On the GSM version it finds you (presumably by using the cell towers) within about 5 seconds of you opening the app. The "Locate Me" option in Bing is actually greyed out when installing it on the Sprint Touch Pro 2. Is there any way to get this functionality?

#3: This one is not as big of a deal, but the weather app doesn't know where I am. On the GSM version, the weather sets itself to the correct city automatically. You can add another city if you like, but it automatically picks up your current city. I don't care about this one too much, but it would be nice. The other 2 (no "Add Call" and no "Locate Me") are borderline deal breakers for me.

Are these limitations just part of the Sprint ROM, or are they limitations of the CDMA technology itself? If this is a limitation of CDMA itself, then that is a major dissapointment to me. In fact, had I know about this beforehand I probably would have never left AT&T for Sprint. I got caught up in the cheaper pricing, and saw the Sprint version had a 3.5mm jack, but I wasn't aware I would have to give up my Bing/Google Maps and conference calling.

If this is a limitation in CDMA itself, then how on earth can anyone claim this is better than GSM? And also, if this is a limitation of CDMA itself, does anyone know what I would need to do in order to reverse this and port my numbers back to AT&T? Is that even possible or would I have to open a new account? Or if I port to T-Mobile, how long do i have to wait for Sprint to give me a refund on the 4 Touch Pro 2's I just bought?

I guess not too many people have owned the GSM version and the CDMA version, so you don't really see posts mentioning this stuff before you buy the CDMA version. After using the GSM version for several months, I don't know if I can give these features up.
i have the verizon verison and google map and live search finds me in seconds first the agps then the gps kicks in!!

cdma is said the be limited to only 3 way calls hence conferance calls like the gsm verison was cut down!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:41 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2 Metro Pcs WAP MMS Youtube
Carrier: Metro PCS

pimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on rep

It may be missing features to you. But I like the fact I have the option of having both GSM and CDMA. Oh yea, and 3.5mm HEADPHONE JACK

HTC's I have Full Flashed To Metro. (I define Full Flash as Phone, Text, Picture Message, Email, and youtube, GPS on some) Diamond,Touch Pro,Imagio, Touch Pro 2
I BUY SOME BROKEN PHONES TOO!! PM ME
Old 10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium)

techSage is a n00b

Quote:
Yes, I've run quick gps. But that is my point- on the GSM version you don't have to run quick gps. You can be in a basement and if you open Bing it finds you instantly. I'm pretty sure it uses cell tower data.
QuickGPS only has to be run once a week at most if you do it manually as the data is good for a week, but you can set it up to update automatically, too.

By using QuickGPS to get the data at once, you have the advantage that if there is no signal when you go to get a GPS lock, it won't matter because you already have the data whereas aGPS would take longer in that situation.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: CDMA HTC Touch Pro TWO!

Beandogg is keeping up the good workBeandogg is keeping up the good workBeandogg is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGOvoruhk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techSage View Post
QuickGPS only has to be run once a week at most if you do it manually as the data is good for a week, but you can set it up to update automatically, too.

By using QuickGPS to get the data at once, you have the advantage that if there is no signal when you go to get a GPS lock, it won't matter because you already have the data whereas aGPS would take longer in that situation.
+1 Google Maps is instantaneous, inside and outside
Old 10-29-2009, 11:51 AM
mmmm Freebirds
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (X2)

Darkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIP

Quote:
\
#3: This one is not as big of a deal, but the weather app doesn't know where I am. On the GSM version, the weather sets itself to the correct city automatically. You can add another city if you like, but it automatically picks up your current city. I don't care about this one too much, but it would be nice. The other 2 (no "Add Call" and no "Locate Me") are borderline deal breakers for me

This is part of the manila build that is on the phone. I had a custom ROM on my sprint TP that auto found the weather via tower info

Good things don't end in 'eum,' they end in 'mania'...or 'teria'
Easily switch between TouchFlo and Mobile Shell
If you like my work feel free to
Old 10-29-2009, 11:53 AM
mcom
Pocket PC: Panther 850e, RhodiumW500, BlackBerry8220
Carrier: Telus & Rogers

briggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91898

see that.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

gibwar is a n00b

I don't know about #1 and #3 but with my Sprint TP2 Google Maps located me within "200 meters" of my current location, and I'm in a basement of an old building that hardly gets any cell reception. It never got a full GPS lock (obviously) but it used AGPS just fine.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2