PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   DIY Black VZW battery cover (pics!) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88279)

kern417 10-08-2009 10:37 PM

Re: DIY Black VZW battery cover (pics!)

someone at ssk did this too, that's where i first heard about it

http://www.sskusers.net/support/showthread.php?t=203

i found that if you leave the stylus in the dye it only blackens the tip and the part that sticks out the battery cover. I also have put an invisible shield over it with excellent results, and eliminates chances of the dye rubbing off (OP at ssk said it began rubbing off after a while)

djsiva 10-09-2009 11:13 PM

Pics of mine done tonight with my how to... :)

2 Attachment(s)
Just did the dye job tonight and couldn't be happier. I've attached a pic of the finished product as well as my redneck rig to dye only the visible part of the stylus.

I predissolved the dye in 2 cups of almost boiling water along with 1 tablespoon of powdered laundry detergent. Once mixed, I added the predissolved dye to 8 cups of almost boiling water on the stove.

The directions in the box call for the item to simmer on the stove but I didn't want to take that chance with the plastic so I removed the dye bath from the heat as I put the cover and stylus in. It was still plenty hot, even after the 30 mins was up, to get the job done.

After 30 mins in the dye bath, I began rinsing the items in warm water and gradually made to the transition to cold water.

Nate

mickeyleah 10-10-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richgetsy (Post 1210134)
I used a paint for plastic/rubber. I used this before with excellent results.

where did u get it from/brand. I used the sharpie, it came out purple and didn't stick

Major_Nate 10-26-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99accordv6 (Post 1210494)
I can dye your touch pro 2 covers!

Virtually any color even pink! :D

How can you color the TP2 batt doors a lighter color than the back normally is?

psycho_maniac 01-16-2010 02:45 AM

hey look im bringing another thread back from the dead :(

what i want to know is for the people who did this. what does the battery cover look like now? did it rub off? have you dyed it more then once cuz it rubbed off?

im thinking of having my friend paint mine. he paints cars. and has lots of black paint.

djsiva 01-16-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho_maniac (Post 1493243)

what i want to know is for the people who did this. what does the battery cover look like now? did it rub off? have you dyed it more then once cuz it rubbed off?

im thinking of having my friend paint mine. he paints cars. and has lots of black paint.

Still looks great. No thin spots and nothing has rubbed off anywhere. I can't even imagine the phone without it. Hands down, it's the best aesthetic mod there is.

Nate

psycho_maniac 01-16-2010 03:38 PM

i used a sharpie to black out the map and it worked for a week, then the map came back.

kern417 01-16-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho_maniac (Post 1493243)

I have invisible shield on mine and in those areas it hasn't rubbed off at all (of course). By the stylus it has rubbed off a little but not to the point of getting silver. I think it is just smearing from always pulling out the stylus, so it has turned a dark bronze color just on that corner. but it doesn't bother me really.

psycho_maniac 01-16-2010 04:28 PM

if somebody could mass produce these black battery covers, with the map off, and the soft reset hole, they would make a lot of money. i know i would buy one.

rnhok82 01-21-2010 03:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are my extended battery cover dyed and my regular cover dyed as well. Unfortunately my volume rockers did bronze, but they don't look terrible on the extended cover since the mute button bronzed as well. Thanks Op.