PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: tmobile

r3nzo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TP2 and GSM/CDMA use and summary (What we know thus far)

I am currently a tmo user who wants to use a vzw tp2. My plan is to have someone who is a verizon customer to activate and unlock the phone for me. My question is, would the phone still work with my tmo gsm sim after the phone is deactivated with verizon?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

djsiva knows their stuffdjsiva knows their stuffdjsiva knows their stuffdjsiva knows their stuffdjsiva knows their stuffdjsiva knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to djsiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3nzo View Post
I am currently a tmo user who wants to use a vzw tp2. My plan is to have someone who is a verizon customer to activate and unlock the phone for me. My question is, would the phone still work with my tmo gsm sim after the phone is deactivated with verizon?
Based on all the presented info, yes. The VZW model apparently can be used on ATT and TMO without having to do anything crazy. I just SIM unlocked my phone with VZW tonight and it was a piece of cake. They didn't give me any problems or try to hard sell me on their global plans. I just told them I'd be roaming in EU and planned on using prepaid SIM cards while there.

Nate
Old 10-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: VZW TP2 GREATEST VZW PHONE EVER
Threadstarter

isdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3nzo View Post
The phone will work fine GSM only once unlocked. It DOES have to be activated once via CDMA or it will keep asking you to activate (You can also do this manually using ##778SEND. Otherwise, you're good to go. The activated phone number won't matter because it default to the GSM number when in use.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work

I appreciate this post - I haven't used a cell phone internationally, instead just using a calling card with minutes and local phones when abroad. But I now have a Verizon TP2, and this opens up possibilities.

I will be traveling to Peru at the end of the month. Verizon's roaming rates are ridiculous, so it seems best to purchase a local SIM card. Having never used one (been on Alltel/CDMA for many years), I am not exactly sure how this works:

1. I assume the SIM card I'd purchase in Peru would have a certain number of prepaid minutes, or does this work differently? No plan needed? Activation fees?

2. Would I have a different number that people could call me on from the US? I seem to recall someone saying that if I Unlock, and use a non-VZW SIM, my regular VZW number would no longer work.

3. What about data and texting - how does this work? Is this typically available, do I need to get a SIM card specifically that contains this capability, or what? I don't want to accidentally run up huge data charges with VZW or anybody else.

On my TP2, I currently have it set to "CDMA Only" - I figure I'm in the US, won't be using GSM, so that seems most appropriate. When I travel to Peru, what is the appropriate setting - Global or GSM Only?

Anything else that I'm not thinking of that will also need to be done (other than obviously getting the phone unlocked!).

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: VZW TP2 GREATEST VZW PHONE EVER
Threadstarter

isdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I appreciate this post - I haven't used a cell phone internationally, instead just using a calling card with minutes and local phones when abroad. But I now have a Verizon TP2, and this opens up possibilities.

I will be traveling to Peru at the end of the month. Verizon's roaming rates are ridiculous, so it seems best to purchase a local SIM card. Having never used one (been on Alltel/CDMA for many years), I am not exactly sure how this works:

1. I assume the SIM card I'd purchase in Peru would have a certain number of prepaid minutes, or does this work differently? No plan needed? Activation fees?
Yes, the carrier will have a ~$10 SIM card kit with like $5 worth of credit already on it. No activation fees, just plug it in and your phone now has a local number.

Quote:
2. Would I have a different number that people could call me on from the US? I seem to recall someone saying that if I Unlock, and use a non-VZW SIM, my regular VZW number would no longer work.
You would have a local phone number that people would have to make an international phone call to reach. Your VZW number will only be unavailable while the phone is in GSM or Global mode and on a GSM network, but you can switch freely between the two.

Quote:
3. What about data and texting - how does this work? Is this typically available, do I need to get a SIM card specifically that contains this capability, or what? I don't want to accidentally run up huge data charges with VZW or anybody else.
Verizon has no control over your foreign SIM, thats why they make you agree to additional TOS. Texting will probably work right out of the box and needs no special SIM, just verify what the local operator charges to send and receive them. As for data, it usually needs to be enabled by a TEXT. For example, for my Mobitel pre-paid, when I want to activate data I have to send a text to 1918 that says "Prenos podaktov DA" (DATA transfer YES) Also, you will need to set up a APN and username/password in your data settings for that carrier.

Quote:
On my TP2, I currently have it set to "CDMA Only" - I figure I'm in the US, won't be using GSM, so that seems most appropriate. When I travel to Peru, what is the appropriate setting - Global or GSM Only?
US - CDMA only, unless you're using a domestic SIM card. Peru - GSM only.

Quote:
Anything else that I'm not thinking of that will also need to be done (other than obviously getting the phone unlocked!).

Thanks!
That's it. If you buy the SIM card at an actual carrier's store, they'll probably set up your phone for you. Not at like a bodega or something.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work

isdnmatt - many thanks for the detailed response!=D>
Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Lurker

r3nzo is a n00b

would i be able use sprint service on a verizon tp2 since they both use CDMA?

would i be able to use 3G with any other service besides verizon?

Last edited by r3nzo; 10-06-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Lurker

r3nzo is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdnmatt View Post
The phone will work fine GSM only once unlocked. It DOES have to be activated once via CDMA or it will keep asking you to activate (You can also do this manually using ##778SEND. Otherwise, you're good to go. The activated phone number won't matter because it default to the GSM number when in use.
thanks

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2