PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: verizon

WythDryden is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Just got my HTC Touch Pro2 ... Now what?

I actually was going to recommend all the same things tbran just did.

+1
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

FirstOverboard is a n00b

I just checked out Total Commander... Looks GREAT... thanks for the suggestion.

I still don't know why people insist on making these "your gonna just have to do a bunch of reading and figure it out for yourself" comments.

I'm not asking about getting my phone to make ice cream, I'm asking that it perform the obvious functions that it should perform as well as possible, I'm asking about the best and latest of the basic apps and setup tips. And to suggest that there aren't any is ridiculous.

Obviously just about everybody is going to want a good file and registry manager. Obviously everybody needs to back up their data. Obviously everybody would benefit from a tweak that makes things less cumbersome or frees unnecessarily tied up resources. WM is quirky and it's obvious to anybody whose ever had a WM phone. Obviously everybody would benefit from enhanced calendar functionality that is more finger friendly...

so please hold the "if your a noob yur just gonna have to put in your time and figure things out" comments...they're not productive...and they distract and miss the point of this thread.

I may edit my thread-starting post to include the best of the suggestions with links if things keep going well... so thanks for the continued input
Old 09-21-2009, 01:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Your resistance to the suggestion to read is mis-guided, as well as your is your idea of turning this into a "best of the suggestions" thread. It's already there, in the Stickies at the top op the TP2 forum, and it's 18 pages and 175 posts long. The first post alone has more info than this thread ever will have

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78019
Old 09-21-2009, 01:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

JStewartx is keeping up the good workJStewartx is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverboard View Post
I just checked out Total Commander... Looks GREAT... thanks for the suggestion.

I still don't know why people insist on making these "your gonna just have to do a bunch of reading and figure it out for yourself" comments.

I'm not asking about getting my phone to make ice cream, I'm asking that it perform the obvious functions that it should perform as well as possible, I'm asking about the best and latest of the basic apps and setup tips. And to suggest that there aren't any is ridiculous.

Obviously just about everybody is going to want a good file and registry manager. Obviously everybody needs to back up their data. Obviously everybody would benefit from a tweak that makes things less cumbersome or frees unnecessarily tied up resources. WM is quirky and it's obvious to anybody whose ever had a WM phone. Obviously everybody would benefit from enhanced calendar functionality that is more finger friendly...

so please hold the "if your a noob yur just gonna have to put in your time and figure things out" comments...they're not productive...and they distract and miss the point of this thread.

I may edit my thread-starting post to include the best of the suggestions with links if things keep going well... so thanks for the continued input
obviously...
Old 09-21-2009, 03:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2, XV6900, XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

Speed_419 is just getting started

FirstOverboard,
Glad that I could help. I totally understand your frustration with people telling you to read. I know that in my case, I read, and read, and read some more and sometimes still don't find exactly what I am looking for. The threads are long, usually with a lot of BS posts that don't contribute to the overall board topic. Searches help, but usually force you to read all through the BS to find the meat of the thread. If you are looking for a place to start, try the stickies at the top of the forums. They are extremely useful, but will also become bloated over time. Case in point, check out the Tsowen taskbar stickie. I want to learn how to do it, but there are over 6 different versions now and there are others cabs designed by others that add to the chaos. Let alone the fact that you have to use multiple cabs to do the job which requires you to understand what they are doing as well if you want to actually know what is happening to your phone. I have 40 posts per page and end up with 37 pages so now you get a picture of what you have to go through sometimes. You do get "lucky" sometimes and someone will point you in the right direction, but other times you are left with a search that sometimes take you places you never thought you would go...

I would take tbran's advice and look into those registry editors. I personally haven't tried them, but was going to look into finding a free alternative. $30 is just to much cash for a program that I can also get for free. So, thanks tbran for the help. I will be using those links.

The other thing that I would highly recommend you do is use the Thanks button. People are more apt to help you out if they know you are willing to say thanks afterwards. If you don't have a lot of thanks, you aren't going to get a lot of help.

Nagrom Nniuq,
I would agree that there are a lot of apps that have existed before this phone and that they will be used on this phone as well. That doesn't mean that there aren't new things for people to check out. Remember that we are all coming from different phones and as such have used different programs to accomplish the same function. Now that we have a new phone to play with, there might be something better that will work for this phone then say a 6900 or a TP. (Which was what FirstOverboard was asking about.)

Again, hope I helped.
Speed...

Currently Running
Mighty ROM SE
Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: VzW

Okeif_ObD is just getting started

FirstOverboard,

First, I'm right there with you--except this ain't my first rodeo (read: winmo device Or development/designing).

But, this is my first HTC device. So, for now, I'm just keeping tabs on the communites here and at xda; trying some tweaks out, testing them for a few days then reverting back to a clean install.

Secondly, I'd just ignore posters like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStewartx View Post
obviously...
who just seem to be trolling, and hopefully he'll either grow out of it or the community/mods will shut him down.

On to the meat and yams:
Right now I'm just getting aquainted with manila/Tf3D; seeing what I like about the interface, and what I don't, and what I can change. I know it can feel quite dautning at times, and maybe a little overwhelming; especially if you browse through the "Show Me your Today screen" threads and see screencaps of other people's devices. But, the thing is, you shouldn't jump the gun and try and mimic what you see, because, as they say, a picture's worth a thousand words, ' and you really don't know how many (if any) negatives that user is dealing with just to get a certain 'Look'. Just be patient, and you and your device will come out on the other end just fine.

For starters, as other sage commentors have advised, make sure you backup; not only the fresh/clean build, but also incrimentaly between major changes(or when ever you feel comfortable). I've used spb backup for a number of years, and after all this time it still hasn't let me down.

After that, I think it really boils down to a few things:

-your technical ability: on your own or w/ assitance
-what's feasibly possible due to hardware, software or time limitation; i.e new devices take time to find that comfy zone
-form over function OR function over form
-and on that note, preference.

As it stands I can barely find good screen/body protectors, cases or other accessories -- so I'm not expecting much in the way of "New" software improvements just yet. However, there's a few stickies and posts here and over at xda that are worth reading/considering and trying. Here they are in no particular order, and there is some redundancy.

Touch Pro 2 Cleanup - title says it all
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=84404

Free up 25-30 megs of Ram with 2 cabs here: For Verizon (CDMA?) version - Disable Push Internet and Enable Dynamic Resource Proxy
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=85996

Scott's Simple Kitchen (SSK) Tweak thread fo TP2 - list of, considered, essentials for the TP2
http://sskusers.net/support/showthread.php?t=149

MightyMikes Touch Pro 2 Tweaks, Hacks, Tips & Modifications -again, title./end
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78019

Cabs,Tips,Tweaks etc Last Update 22/7/09 - title./end
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=524655

While I haven't tried all the tweaks yet--it's only been about a week or so since launch--there just hasn't been enough time to determine if all the mods/tweaks listed above are truly reliable, stable, or improvements that will effect everyone the same.

On top of all tweaks mentioned above, there are several carrier-specific developments shaping up--but there isn't a huge difference between software version, and very little difference between hardware. While I can't/don't pay attention to all of these, it is worth checking them out, giveing them try, and reporting any feedback.

I guess at the end of the day, the best advice anyone can give at this juncture is just see what works.

Whether it does or doesn't get the results you want or expect, make sure to give adequete feedback, suggestions, or donations.

Last edited by Okeif_ObD; 09-21-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Threadstarter

FirstOverboard is a n00b

awesome...i'm all over it... thanks guys...
Old 09-25-2009, 01:01 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I think its time for a Touch Pro 2 Wiki >.>..as there seems to be like 5 pages of threads to go through

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2