PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 02:51 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

FirstOverboard is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Just got my HTC Touch Pro2 ... Now what?

Just got my HTC Touch Pro2 in the mail (from Sprint) I've read lots of forums and posts. Seems like there are dizzying number of different opinions and approaches for things to do to set it up and tweak our TP2s. From Touch Flo 3D to third party menu apps to registry tweaks... I need everybody's help...

So what do you guys think are the best, most important and fundamental steps someone like me should take once I open the box?

This is an opportunity to provide a cool quick start guide for me and others who are moderately savvy. Please be serious about this... Thank you!
Old 09-20-2009, 03:15 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Re: Just got my HTC Touch Pro2 ... Now what?

Read and Search
Old 09-20-2009, 04:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

gutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuff

First thing to do after you open the box is put the battery in and power on, Have it activated than learn your way through TF3D and the menus, After you master the basics of your phone than you are ready for tweaks. search and do lots of reading before posting.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: evo
Carrier: sprint

correct knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuff

no one can answer that for you. the purpose of tweaking is to set up YOUR phone to YOUR liking..... if you have to ask, i'd suggest that you take the time, and learn the phone/os, then determine what you would like to change based off of personal preference.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work

I'm in the same situation - pretty tech savvy in general (with a Palm TX for almost 4 years), but completely new to Windows Mobile.

For example, what about basic backup of data and OS? Does Windows Mobile contain tools to do this right up-front, included, or will 3rd party solutions be necessary? And if a 3rd party app is needed, what are the top ones?

Thanks.

Last edited by DLCPhoto; 09-20-2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-20-2009, 09:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2, XV6900, XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

Speed_419 is just getting started

I would be in your boat with regard to being a little tech savvy and feeling a little daunted by what to do. The guys above are correct in saying that you really need to read and become familiar with the phone before you make any changes. After all, it is your phone and you need to determine what changes you actually want to make to your phone. I have been reading and reading and reading. I can totally understand wanting some direction with the plethora of information and tweaks that are available.

With that being said, I will tell you that the first thing that you should do is add some backup software to your phone. There are a lot of options out there, and many of them can do the trick. For me personally, I used Sprite Backup. It is a $25 dollar program, but I was able to find it and the Terminator Software for $20 since I am putting it on a HTC device.
That can be found here: http://www.spritesoftware.com/produc...up-htc-special

You are going to need a registry editor as well. Some of them are free and some can be a little pricey. It kind of comes down to what you feel most comfortable with. I have the trial version of Resco Editor on my phone right now. It gives you a registry editor and a new file explorer to use. Haven't purchased it yet, but I have a feeling that I will. It is $30 which is a lot compared to some freeware that is out there so you might go a different route.
You can find that here: http://www.resco.net/pocketpc/explorer/

Other than those two things, the rest will honestly come down to what you want or need your phone to do on a daily basis. Do you use the calendar a lot? How about tasks? Is music your thing, or do you just want to make the screen cooler by modifying the taskbar? For me personally, I had to install SBSH Calendar Touch so that I could better organize and use both my appointments and my tasks. Very cool program if that is something that you need. It gives me a way to stay organized and doesn't require the stylus's use all of the time.
You can find that here: http://www.sbsh.net/products/windows...calendar_touch

Other than that, I would suggest the text message notification hack which you can easily find with a search, and if I was a betting man, I would say you have already installed..
Right now, I have been reading about taskbar mods and have found that Tsowen and Gadgetfreak have been making some amazing new taskbars. Problem is that for a newbie on the taskbar mod front, trying to do it for the first time, there is a lot to read and try and get caught back up on. I have made one attempt, but didn't get the result I was expecting. Soo, guess I am going to go back to reading and searching until I get the result that I want...hehehe
Hope that my direction helped. Just remember, the answer is out there, you seriously just need to do a lot of reading to find the answer.
Speed...

Currently Running
Mighty ROM SE
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Threadstarter

FirstOverboard is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_419 View Post
Speed...
Awesome reply Speed... You about nailed my situation. I've had a WM phone before and I've flashed and made a few registry mods and tweaks..but, I'm new to this device (as is almost everybody I guess). But some of the more tech savvy users are devouring this phone like they are a hungry pitbull and it's a big juicy T-Bone...

I'm reading a bunch, and I've done this on previous phones, but I guess what I'm really hoping for are the experienced users to call out some of the killer apps and tweaks that are just too obvious not to go for... that's the experience I'm hoping people will share...and you did Speed..I'm looking into that calandering app right now...and I might pay for resco also, if there is some consensus that it's the best (its pricey!)...so thanks Speed. (and others that responded constructively)

and if anybody else for that matter knows any more Must-Haves or Must-Dos... please jump in on this...
Old 09-21-2009, 03:04 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

Nagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverboard View Post
Awesome reply Speed... You about nailed my situation. I've had a WM phone before and I've flashed and made a few registry mods and tweaks..but, I'm new to this device (as is almost everybody I guess). But some of the more tech savvy users are devouring this phone like they are a hungry pitbull and it's a big juicy T-Bone...

I'm reading a bunch, and I've done this on previous phones, but I guess what I'm really hoping for are the experienced users to call out some of the killer apps and tweaks that are just too obvious not to go for... that's the experience I'm hoping people will share...and you did Speed..I'm looking into that calandering app right now...and I might pay for resco also, if there is some consensus that it's the best (its pricey!)...so thanks Speed. (and others that responded constructively)

and if anybody else for that matter knows any more Must-Haves or Must-Dos... please jump in on this...
There are no KILLER apps for this phone that haven't existed for a long time on other phones. Period. I've used many phones, I build my own ROMs, and do my own tweaks. Really, just try things. The wrong way to use a phone is to get a brand new one, and start applying old tweaks to it and programs to it because someone said so. Use it and tweak what you don't like. Don't apply other people's tweaks, just 'cause. Read the forums here and at xda and when you see something you like, try it. There is a list of good software at the xda rhodium forum, but there are other apps that are good too.

Moral: You will have to read and search and trying things out yourself.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:08 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

There is a tilt toward the latest version of SPB Backup as working the best, but Sprite may work well for some too. Backing up to your storage is an absolute must, and even more so before you add software. That is because most of the software you will use is being brought over from the TP1 and Diamond, and some works great, others don't work at all (yet), and some partially work. I do daily scheduled backups always, but when adding software (like tonight, many programs), I do a full backup after every 5 added programs. That way, if I have a bad crash, it's easy to backtrack and figure it out easily. And the new version of SPB Backup only takes about 3 minutes to do a backup, so no waiting, I just read online about the next batch of stuff to add.

I usually email myself the cab files. I don't like hassling with ActiveSync, much less removing the SD Card on this beast.

There are programs that are useful to gamers, others for heavy business users, and some to everyone. Research is where it is at.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:45 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

tbran is becoming a great contributor

I wouldn't spend the money on Resco Explorer, you can get Total Commander for free, which is nearly a clone of Resco Explorer. Also PHM Regedit is nearly identical to Resco's version. Both of these programs are free as shareware. Also I swear by SPB Backup, but that is just personal preference.
http://www.ghisler.com/
http://www.phm.lu/Products/

Last edited by tbran; 09-21-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: typing on TP early in the morning
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2