PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 11:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint EVO 4G
Carrier: sprint

mjcole2003 is keeping up the good workmjcole2003 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: To remove the plastic or not

seems like everyone has the same prob with right side. my scrunchd up as well so i removed it though my left side is still on
Old 09-18-2009, 12:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

Slack3r is keeping up the good workSlack3r is keeping up the good work

I took them off because I'm getting a replacement phone tomorrow...

My right side did scrunch up though, but my left and back protectors were fine.

And don't worry, whoever gets this as a refurb eventually, I'm taking very good care of it.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Priest is becoming a great contributor

Has anyone ever contacted HTC to find out whether these are supposed to be removed or if they're supposed to stay on for an important reason?
Old 09-19-2009, 02:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU KEEP THEM OR REPLACE THEM!

That being said, the reason I say this is because I was really rough on my mogul towards the end and I keep my phone in my front pocket. Sometimes when I'm wearing jeans, they put a great deal of force on the corners of the phone, eventually my talk and end buttons stopped working. I could see where the corner had bent down and hte plastic had slightly cracked.

I also disassembled my mogul at some point and got a good look at the ribbon cable and sliding mechanism. I've owned a lot of electronics of the years and one of the biggest failing things is the ribbon cable, even all the way back to my first tape Sony walkman that was waterproof and had controls or a display on the door (can't remember).

Now this is just my opinion, but after I removed the two (more permanent compared to the TP2) plastic pieces, I started having problems, keyboard and slider related.

Now with the TP2, because the screen tilts, I believe it has more of a chance of the top half rubbing on the bottom half, in fact you can start to slide the screen closed with it tilted up slightly.

Now the fact that the factory plastic bunches up, tells me that there is enough slop in the hinge to allow both halves to touch while closing.

When I ordered my mogul, not knowing that the sprint comes with a screen protector, I ordered the 10 pack of universals with the phone. So I had scraps that I used to make new pieces for the side of my keyboard, as my old one's bunched up.

Just from them being on there for the last couple of days, there are heavy marks where the top "dug" into the plastic.

With the plastic from the scrap screen protector, it seems to just barely ride on it, enough to keep it from being off angle when I open it. I usually use my left hand and my left thumb, it's hard not to apply a little bit of down pressure because of how thin the top part is.

Also when the phone is closed, if you barely squeeze the two halves (top and bottom) together, you can see that it has a tiny bit of play and will actually touch the pieces together. That has to be putting a slight strain on the hinges while in my pocket, nothing that is major, but over the course of a year, I may have "sloppy hinge syndrome".

I hope by having the screen protector material in there, it takes up some of the slack and allows the phone to be more rigid and not allow it to deteriorate like my mogul did.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2

marcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

remove them.. theyre meant to be removed.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero

DarkManX4lf is becoming a great contributor

My right side started to peel and bunch up...so I removed that and kept the left side on. After a week the left side started to do the same so I removed that as well.

Last edited by DarkManX4lf; 09-19-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:41 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

em2y0 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to em2y0

Took mine off since sis works for sprint and i can easily get the phone replaced =D

Old 09-19-2009, 08:32 AM
you know ...
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

meatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to meatgel

I considered them part of the packing for shipment and took them off ... same as I did with my Mogul years ago.

Sprint Evo 3D! ...

Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

mdphoenix is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmdphoenix is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmdphoenix is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmdphoenix is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to mdphoenix Send a message via AIM to mdphoenix Send a message via MSN to mdphoenix Send a message via Yahoo to mdphoenix

Mine are staying until they fall off.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

geraldem is a n00b

wow..did not notice it either. thanks for pointing out.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2