PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 02:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

mountainwampus is keeping up the good workmountainwampus is keeping up the good workmountainwampus is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TomTom is really slow!

Link above. This works.

Last edited by mountainwampus; 09-19-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC/Vz Touch Pro
Carrier: VzW

Big Calhoun is a n00b

I applied the GPS logging fix last night and just tested it a little while ago -- no go. Seems no faster or different without the hack and when I manually configured the GPS for 115200. This is on a stock VZ TP2 -- the only things I've added are Rescoe Explorer and TomTom so far.

I'm going to get iGo installed and go with that that. I prefer TomTom but I'm a field tech and use GPS to get to where I need to be. Since I already carry a cellphone (GSM) for work, having one device with GPS that works accurately is crucial.

Although, as an anecdotal aside, I do find the situation odd. With the original TP, I used a puck with TomTom and performance was spot on. Once VZ unlocked the GPS, I started using the internal chip and TomTom performances did take a slight hit, but nothing like what I'm experiencing on the TP2.

EDIT: Pardon my spelling and grammar mistakes, I'm working through a bad cold. Damn kids.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

rdcrds is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrdcrds is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrdcrds is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrdcrds is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I just do not understand why the lag with tomtom makes no sense to me but owell.Maybe when 6.5 comes out in a few weeks that might fix it.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:36 PM
N00b

Big Calhoun is a n00b
Unhappy Still no love

So I've tried a few things.

First, I've done the the GPS logging hack and didn't notice any change.

Second, I've tried gfxboost and also haven't noticed any improvements.

Lastly, I tried installing Igo (x.x.96054) and the performance is no better than TomTom.

This is all on a stock Verizon TP2 -- no reg edits or cab hacks installed. Just got the phone on Thursday.

One thing that does seem to help with TomTom is using 2D display. That display mode seems to draw the screen faster and everything is very accurate. Not how I'm accustomed to using TomTom, but in the meantime, it'll work.

Sadly, I think we'll have to wait for later versions to address the screen drawing issues.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community
Re: Still no love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Calhoun View Post
So I've tried a few things.

First, I've done the the GPS logging hack and didn't notice any change.

Second, I've tried gfxboost and also haven't noticed any improvements.

Lastly, I tried installing Igo (x.x.96054) and the performance is no better than TomTom.

This is all on a stock Verizon TP2 -- no reg edits or cab hacks installed. Just got the phone on Thursday.

One thing that does seem to help with TomTom is using 2D display. That display mode seems to draw the screen faster and everything is very accurate. Not how I'm accustomed to using TomTom, but in the meantime, it'll work.

Sadly, I think we'll have to wait for later versions to address the screen drawing issues.
Yup, its the 3d/2d issue I have been hammering away for a while. There wont be a fix sorry to say. We will wait for tegra devices.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

tiny1055 is a n00b

I have been messing around with the gps on the Verizon version for the last few days and here is my experience. First, I turned off gps logging.

I have the VGA version of TomTom 7.916.9189 installed and have about a 15 second lag using the internal gps. Pretty useless. I then tried it with my old iBlue bluetooth gps device and it is spot on and runs very smooth. So it is obviously some kind of gps issue with TomTom and not a 3d issue. I do have the At0mAng Enhanced D3D Driver installed but am not sure if that makes a difference. I also saw some posts saying you need the QVGA version to run smooth but the VGA version worked fine for me (with the iBlue gps device).

One annoyance I have with the external gps is that every time the applications connects with the device, I get a prompt asking with gps device to use on the Bluetooth Com Port 2 which is very annoying. It seems like the device sets up all bluetooth serial devices to be slaves on Com Port 2 and the program must prompt so you can select which slave to use. On my XV6700 I was able to setup a new Com Port for the iBlue but I could not do that on this phone.

I then installed iGo 8.3.4.102680 and have about a 1 second delay going about 40mph using the internal gps. Unless you are staring at the gps constantly, you probably wouldn't even notice and the turn by turn directions still work perfectly.

I really love TomTom and have been using it for years on my XV6700 but I will be using iGo on the new phone until the TomTom gps lag is fixed. I guess I could always use TomTom with the external gps but I really wanted to use the internal gps since it is a pain to always keeps that device with me. Also the gps device prompt I get every time I start the app makes me not want to use it.

I found that iGo is not as intuitive as TomTom but I am starting to get used to it and was able to find a cool skin and get text-to-speech working which TomTom doesn't do. I also has some cool graphics and is completely customizable. Maybe I'll get so used to iGo that I won't even care about the TomTom lag. We'll see.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:08 PM
N00b

Big Calhoun is a n00b

So no news on this issue?

I'm coming to the conclusion that it has to be an issue with the GPS. Just for the heck of it, I tried using my Emtac puck this morning and performance with TomTom was almost spot on. I'd say maybe a .5 second delay...definitely usable.

I just don't get the differences in performance with external bluetooth GPS vs. internal.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

This is a deal breaker for me. Luckly I found out about it before I get the TP2.

My TT7 .9189 works great on my Treo Pro.

BTW, can you use the bottom part of your TP2 to zoom and out of the map? Dont you miss the physical d-pad because of this?
Old 09-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

rdcrds is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrdcrds is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrdcrds is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrdcrds is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Deal breaker? LOL i am sure when the new update comes out or some other update it will get fixed.The phone has not been out a month yet.Deal breaker LOL.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:28 PM
N00b

Big Calhoun is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
This is a deal breaker for me. Luckly I found out about it before I get the TP2.

My TT7 .9189 works great on my Treo Pro.

BTW, can you use the bottom part of your TP2 to zoom and out of the map? Dont you miss the physical d-pad because of this?
I haven't tried. I never used that feature to be honest.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2