PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:20 PM
EricGlock

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: How is the TP2 faster that the TP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayareal View Post
For this reason i will wait a few weeks before i make the leap and see what other former tp users have to say about it.
Smart move! I WISH I could be this disciplined. To me though, the speed isn't what gets me randy, it's the screen size/resolution. The speed on the TP IMHO is decent. Now battery life, that certainly could use some improvement. But either way, I'll be buying Day 1. No need for me to wait and see what others have to say. The size of the screen is a VAST improvement.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS
Threadstarter

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exil3d View Post
From all my Travels on the intertubes I have come to a conclusion about the CPU the Pro 2 has. First of all, yes its a 7600 that supports gsm. Second of all, it STILL lacks proper 3d accelaration. Its has been proven thru all the youtube videos for the telus and tmobile versions. Just find those vids on youtube and look at the part where some of the vids show tom tom or Igo running. It runs as choppy as our Pro 1. Only reason it feels faster is because the interface TF3d 2 has been optimized. Other than that...... 3d accelaration is nill.
That's what I was afraid of. I have no need of TF2D, 3D, 3D2, or any variant. I like the standard WinMo (5.0-6.1) Today screen. When I turn it off/cook it out with a custom ROM - The perceived performance benefits will vanish. (Even though it *should* be faster because the standard Today screen is much less graphically complex and much less processor intensive than TF3D, plus TF3D sucks up a fair chunk of RAM.)

Damn it HTC! Why do you make such nice phones and then cripple them with a lack of drivers?

I'll still get the TP2 for its bigger screen (hooray death of the useless d-pad, which HTC slowly made less and less usable), much more usable keyboard, and tilt feature. I was going to say that the 3.5mm jack was nice, but I have an HTC remote on the way that plugs into the USB port, has a long cord, and ends in a small remote with a mic, call send & end buttons, track next/prev (also ff/rewind), volume up/down buttons, and as the icing on the cake, it has a plug for any 3.5mm headphones you want to use. Oh yes, and it has a clothes clip. This remote will let me do calls and music (and voice control too) from one unit, so in my mind it's much better than a separate 3.5mm jack that only does audio out.

Last edited by SweetBearCub; 08-24-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Young-E
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

Young_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exil3d View Post
From all my Travels on the intertubes I have come to a conclusion about the CPU the Pro 2 has. First of all, yes its a 7600 that supports gsm. Second of all, it STILL lacks proper 3d accelaration. Its has been proven thru all the youtube videos for the telus and tmobile versions. Just find those vids on youtube and look at the part where some of the vids show tom tom or Igo running. It runs as choppy as our Pro 1. Only reason it feels faster is because the interface TF3d 2 has been optimized. Other than that...... 3d accelaration is nill.
I disagree completely. Have you actually played with the TP2??? Well i have and the overall experience on the device is better, not just TF3D. I don't know what they did to make the screen more sensitive, and the device run faster but it's definitely an improvement over the original TP. SO for those of you who just use the regular windows mobile home screen you will still see the improvements. Also the battery life is better, the speakers are waaaayyy better, the keyboard is waaayyyy better, the screen is waaayyyy better, and you don't have those heat issues. I was never disappointed with the speed of my touch pro just other things. So for them to make it faster with all the other improvements is definitely worth the upgrade
Minnesota Militia/Touch Pro Division
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch
Carrier: sprint

nitussi is just getting started

Yeah, all HTC phones seem to have the same 528mhz processor in them, which I feel is behind the time for the TP2. It should of had atleast an omap 3430 that way we could get decent video playback on that beautiful screen. I'm actually thinking about holding off on the TP2 and getting the samsung omnia pro b7610--which has an 800mhz processor and windows mobile.. keyboard just isnt as nice tho and sprint may not get it.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:12 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

It is not only missing 3d acceleration, but 2d drivers as well...its like having a dual core computer and not using one of the cores at all.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Focus (unlocked)
Carrier: Telus

jessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to jessiethe3rd

Having both... having used both, quite extensively as a power user, there is no question... no ifs, no ands, no buts... the TP2 is a superior device. You can argue many points that the TP2 is just not that much of an upgrade and on paper you may be right. From an experience perspective, however, the TP2 is just all around better. Screen resolution, screen sensitivity, speed, battery life, and even hardware ports (3.5mm headphone jack...) this device is just more useable for every day.

Areas I have seen a difference:

Web browsing - there is no comparison - the screen on the TP2 enabled me to check sites with relative ease.

Nav - the larger screen makes it easy to use a it as a navigation device. I have the updated drivers and I use Garmin XT - it works like a dream (can't speak for Tomtom or iGo

Landscape is really landscape - quite honestly, when I switch to landscape I get a real landscape feel - I usually to opt to run the unit in landscape anytime I get into my car and it performs fantastic

OEM vs OEM speed - out of the box the TP2 is just faster and smoother - don't ask me why - I do not know - it just is. Just this can be overcome with some tools / custom ROMs for the TP but truth is in the pudding here on speed and the TP2 wins

Touchflo 2.1 and beyond, the way it was meant to be - I'm back on the screen again but the space on a TP feel cramped and way out of place with a TP 2.1 ROM... a TP 2.5 ROM looks even more dorky... there just isn't enough space on the screen to get things done. Segments are cut off where they shouldn't be - the TP 2.1+ experience is obviously optimized for a 800x480 screen.

Productivity - again... more space = more room to view and use. I can type out an email and have enough space on the screen to not have to either a.) put the font down to small or b.) make the font large enough to see but get like 5 works on the screen per line. 640x480 on a smaller screen is just not good enough IMHO.

Keyboard - not even in the same realm. The keys are spaced out naturally. The device begs for you to use the keyboard - so simple, so clean, so... well just RIGHT. With the TP the keys felt smashed together (albeit you can type on the TP) you just don't get the same experience

Onscreen keyboard - back to the screen AGAIN - bigger screen = larger onscreen keyboard... I can now use the onscreen keyboard and have space to actually SEE what's going on versus get the sliver of space I was getting with the TP

Speaker phone - I cannot express how nice it is to be on the phone - put it face down and you have a GRADE A speaker phone. Not a tin can but a SPEAKER PHONE with noise reduction. There is absolutely no comparison - it just sounds better

Speakers in general - in the morning you'll catch me singing in the shower... why? Well because all my Zune subscription content is synched with my TP2 and the speaker on the phone actually sounds OKAY for music. Yes, I know, not the booming house system but it is PERFECT for a quick listen! It works well and I can actually hear a bit of bass in the music (I kid you not.) NO it's not BASS that makes the house quake but it is bass none the less.

Sensor - unit goes to my face... screen goes off... unit comes off my face.... screen comes on... so easy... so necessary...

These are just some of the reasons why the TP2 is a worthy upgrade. It made sense for me and I will never go back (I sold my TP yesterday for that matter lol.)

Last edited by jessiethe3rd; 08-24-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: MORE STUFF!
This post has been thanked 12 times.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: evo
Carrier: sprint

correct knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd View Post
Having both... having used both, quite extensively as a power user, there is no question... no ifs, no ands, no buts... the TP2 is a superior device. You can argue many points that the TP2 is just not that much of an upgrade and on paper you may be right. From an experience perspective, however, the TP2 is just all around better. Screen resolution, screen sensitivity, speed, battery life, and even hardware ports (3.5mm headphone jack...) this device is just more useable for every day.

Web browsing - there is no comparison - the screen on the TP2 enabled me to check sites with relative ease.

Nav - the larger screen makes it easy to use a it as a navigation device. I have the updated drivers and I use Garmin XT - it works like a dream (can't speak for Tomtom or iGo

Landscape is really landscape - quite honestly, when I switch to landscape I get a real landscape feel - I usually to opt to run the unit in landscape anytime I get into my car and it performs fantastic

OEM vs OEM speed - out of the box the TP2 is just faster and smoother - don't ask me why - I do not know - it just is. Just this can be overcome with some tools / custom ROMs for the TP but truth is in the pudding here on speed and the TP2 wins

Touchflo 2.1 and beyond, the way it was meant to be - I'm back on the screen again but the space on a TP feel cramped and way out of place with a TP 2.1 ROM... a TP 2.5 ROM looks even more dorky... there just isn't enough space on the screen to get things done. Segments are cut off where they shouldn't be - the TP 2.1+ experience is obviously optimized for a 800x480 screen.

Productivity - again... more space = more room to view and use. I can type out an email and have enough space on the screen to not have to either a.) put the font down to small or b.) make the font large enough to see but get like 5 works on the screen per line. 640x480 on a smaller screen is just not good enough IMHO.

Keyboard - not even in the same realm. The keys are spaced out naturally. The device begs for you to use the keyboard - so simple, so clean, so... well just RIGHT. With the TP the keys felt smashed together (albeit you can type on the TP) you just don't get the same experience

Onscreen keyboard - back to the screen AGAIN - bigger screen = larger onscreen keyboard... I can now use the onscreen keyboard and have space to actually SEE what's going on versus get the sliver of space I was getting with the TP

Speaker phone - I cannot express how nice it is to be on the phone - put it face down and you have a GRADE A speaker phone. Not a tin can but a SPEAKER PHONE with noise reduction. There is absolutely no comparison - it just sounds better

Speakers in general - in the morning you'll catch me singing in the shower... why? Well because all my Zune subscription content is synched with my TP2 and the speaker on the phone actually sounds OKAY for music. Yes, I know, not the booming house system but it is PERFECT for a quick listen! It works well and I can actually hear a bit of bass in the music (I kid you not.) NO it's not BASS that makes the house quake but it is bass none the less.

Sensor - unit goes to my face... screen goes off... unit comes off my face.... screen comes on... so easy... so necessary...

These are just some of the reasons why the TP2 is a worthy upgrade. It made sense for me and I will never go back (I sold my TP yesterday for that matter lol.)
good post, but you now made me even more impatient
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Cheers! ^^
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO 2

TnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TnA-2xXtReM Send a message via Yahoo to TnA-2xXtReM

Quote:

Thanks for a detailed personal view of the phone.. I just can't wait for mine on the Sprint network

Temporary selling Sprint SERO 500 plans for $80.

The SERO 500 plan is only $30 a month and it gives you: 500 minutes monthly, unlimited data, unlimited text, unlimited picture mail, nights and weekend from 7PM to 7AM, and more!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC hero

jjday7 is keeping up the good workjjday7 is keeping up the good work

Quote:

you make me want to get the phone now. I might be throwing my pre out the window. I think I am going to be selling it with my diamond and getting the pro...not sure yet thought. I am getting an itch to get the touch pro 2. I know I said I probably wouldn't, but the more reviews I do, I am realizing that it's a great phone. I appreciate your review and it really put some insight from a user.

Last edited by jjday7; 08-24-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_breedent View Post
I disagree completely. Have you actually played with the TP2??? Well i have and the overall experience on the device is better, not just TF3D. I don't know what they did to make the screen more sensitive, and the device run faster but it's definitely an improvement over the original TP. SO for those of you who just use the regular windows mobile home screen you will still see the improvements. Also the battery life is better, the speakers are waaaayyy better, the keyboard is waaayyyy better, the screen is waaayyyy better, and you don't have those heat issues. I was never disappointed with the speed of my touch pro just other things. So for them to make it faster with all the other improvements is definitely worth the upgrade
You are missing the point. 3d accelaration does not exisat on the phone. TF3D feels snappier cuz its been rewritten to a moree optimized performance. Everything else will feel the same. Look at the vids.. look at all the vids and judge it yourself. I think you have a bias opinion and you wWANT it to be better but I dont blame you.I wish it was better.. but I wont fall sucker to the whole 3d Drivewr fiasco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitussi View Post
Yeah, all HTC phones seem to have the same 528mhz processor in them, which I feel is behind the time for the TP2. It should of had atleast an omap 3430 that way we could get decent video playback on that beautiful screen. I'm actually thinking about holding off on the TP2 and getting the samsung omnia pro b7610--which has an 800mhz processor and windows mobile.. keyboard just isnt as nice tho and sprint may not get it.
Yup, a step backwards. At least since HTC puts in a older CPU for gods sake give us 3d accelaration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
It is not only missing 3d acceleration, but 2d drivers as well...its like having a dual core computer and not using one of the cores at all.
Yup even those are terrible. They are a bit better but nothi9ng to jump in joy about. Again.. all the people who really want to see how different and better the Pro 2 is just go youtube the Pro 2 videos and see for yourself. Trust me.. I want to get one but I ahave seen pretty much all the vids out there and one thing i saw in common was jow similar 2d and specialy 3d was being rendered. The last nail in the coffin for me was when I saw TOm TOm run at 4 FPS. LOL! thatw as enough for me. Only way I will get the PRO 2 is if they give it for free.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2