PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: VZW TP2 GREATEST VZW PHONE EVER
Carrier: VZW

isdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: VZW TP2 Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender519 View Post
So... I am really curious about something. I've searched these boards so apologies if this is a repeat question..

This thing has both CDMA and GSM radios in it, since it is a world phone. But how exactly do the two radios work in tandem? Will it have access to GSM networks in the US, or is it only for when traveling overseas?

Also, a big shortcoming of CDMA has always been that you can't use 1x/Ev data and voice at the same time... is it now possible to use one radio for data and the other for voice? In my mind, that would totally obliterate any urge for me to move to GSM networks.. I use my phone for work and I love Verizon's coverage but at the same time, if I need to tether my phone I can't take calls, which is rather inconvenient.

How about if you are in an area where CDMA signal is weak but GSM is stronger.. will it use that?

I'm sure that in actuality the two radios won't work this seamlessly, but wouldn't it be great? Best of both worlds there..
GSM or CDMA, not both. Same rules apply, voice or data, not both.

I'm guessing, from experience with other global phones, the first time you turn it on, if in global mode, it will search for CDMA, then GSM. I don't think it will actively be searching for signal to switch between the two.

Last edited by isdnmatt; 09-02-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
This thing has both CDMA and GSM radios in it, since it is a world phone. But how exactly do the two radios work in tandem? Will it have access to GSM networks in the US, or is it only for when traveling overseas?
They don't work in tandem. The TP2 will not have access to US networks unless you unlock it via a 3rd party.

Quote:
Also, a big shortcoming of CDMA has always been that you can't use 1x/Ev data and voice at the same time... is it now possible to use one radio for data and the other for voice?
No.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vx6800

csa02221862 is just getting started

It is my understanding that if you call your carrier they will give you the code to enable the GSM radio. I'm going to Germany next spring and they better damn well turn it on, World Phone my a$$!

By then I'll have a custom ROM anyway, Most of us will. Moot point.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X

symyn is keeping up the good worksymyn is keeping up the good work

The world phone is all based off a sim card you get from VZW and the World Phone plan, you need both of these for it to work. I don't have much experience with unlocked VZW phones so I am not sure if it is possible to hack it to ATT or TMobile networks.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

redlegend is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to redlegend Send a message via MSN to redlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa02221862 View Post
It is my understanding that if you call your carrier they will give you the code to enable the GSM radio. I'm going to Germany next spring and they better damn well turn it on, World Phone my a$$!

By then I'll have a custom ROM anyway, Most of us will. Moot point.
Is this what VZW told you? That would be pretty lame. Is it too much to expect you just pop in a SIM and away you go (abroad at least)? Sheesh.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2

frozendevl is a n00b

Quote:
So... I am really curious about something. I've searched these boards so apologies if this is a repeat question..

Also, a big shortcoming of CDMA has always been that you can't use 1x/Ev data and voice at the same time... is it now possible to use one radio for data and the other for voice? In my mind, that would totally obliterate any urge for me to move to GSM networks.. I use my phone for work and I love Verizon's coverage but at the same time, if I need to tether my phone I can't take calls, which is rather inconvenient.

How about if you are in an area where CDMA signal is weak but GSM is stronger.. will it use that?

I'm sure that in actuality the two radios won't work this seamlessly, but wouldn't it be great? Best of both worlds there..
Well it would be great, except that the phone would get too hot with both radios on at the same time. Also I'm sure we will get the phone unlocked at some point to be able to use the GSM frequencys in the U.S. it's only a matter of time. Once the phone has been unlocked I would think you would still have to manually change which radio you would want to use.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

redlegend is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to redlegend Send a message via MSN to redlegend

For those of you jonesing for any scrap of VZW TP2 news like I am, I saw this on WMExperts.com and didn't see any reference to it in this thread yet (I apologize if there is).

http://www.wmexperts.com/more-shots-verizon-touch-pro-2

They have the pics we've seen, but more importantly for me, was pics of the supposed Quick Start guide for the VZW version. There isn't anything entirely new there either, but it's good to see anything and everything we can. I for one am pretty stoked to see the 3.5mm jack make it's debut (FINALLY!) on a VZW device
Old 09-03-2009, 07:19 AM
g00s3y

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlegend View Post
I for one am pretty stoked to see the 3.5mm jack make it's debut (FINALLY!) on a VZW device
Other VZW devices have had a 3.5 jack already. The LG Dare has it, don't know for sure about any others.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Just so everyone knows here is how the sim slot works. You can call verizon global services after the phone is activated for a short period. If your account is in good standing then tell them you want to unlock the sim for a local sim card when you travel abroad. They will go through there talking about not being responsible for the charges you may incur from the sim carrier. They then give you the unlock code to unlock the sim slot. Then any sim card will work in the phone including AT&T and Tmobile. You can select when you travel abroad. GSM only mode which will only read the sim and not use the CDMA radio. I think you only get 1 unlock code per account per year. This is how the HTC Ozone sim is unlocked. Also unlocked the spl and unlocking the sim are two different things. So I imagine it will be awhile before a free sim unlock is created being that the CDMA spl unlock is not available.

Last edited by drewcam888; 09-03-2009 at 09:06 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Just Havin Fun Pimpin!!!
Pocket PC: xv6800,xv6850(TP)xv6875(TP2),xv6900

jdume is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjdume is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjdume is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjdume is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjdume is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjdume is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjdume is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjdume is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjdume is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjdume is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjdume is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jdume
New Pics Of the Verizon TP2!!!!!!!!

http://www.wmexperts.com/more-shots-verizon-touch-pro-2

Most likly old news but its new to me.
WM6.5 Dialer
If you like my work or if I helped you and would like to buy me a cup of coffe click HERE
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2