PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Touch Pro 2 Reviews (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77471)

BenC 09-07-2009 08:42 PM

Re: Touch Pro 2 Reviews

I have found it to be an excellent device. I got tired of seeing Opera as a running application, so a registry change took care of that. Also another registry change to get rid of the SMS notification. Used MemMaid to move temp files to the card.

Programs w/emotional problems: HanDBase freezes up when the keyboard is not extended.

Extreme Agenda - takes a long time to load with bunches of appointments.

pTunes - does not like the resolution. I need to continue playing with it.

Documents To Go spreadsheet - the screen gets all messed up.

Opera - no scroll bar.

eReader does not maintain its background settings.

QuickMenu sometimes becomes undefaulted, but not enough to bother me.

That's it for now.

BigDiesel07 09-07-2009 09:00 PM

Re: Infosync TP2 Sprint Review (76% out of 100%)

Threads merged.. Thank you for your time and please enjoy the stay.. But please, no raiding the mini fridge!

bigdaddie 09-08-2009 12:42 AM

Re: Infosync TP2 Sprint Review (76% out of 100%)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZ* (Post 1146664)
Based on my usage and my opinion, their device was either faulty, or needed a good Hard-reset:mrgreen: (I do agree about Sprint TV though...too many stations worth watching need the subscription IMO)

Thought I would pass it on either way...(originall read on my RSS feed on my TP2:)

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...ro2/10499.html

Either way...Lovin my TP2!

Funny, I found all the things they faulted to work quite well.

augie0041 09-08-2009 11:54 AM

Has anyone tried the TV out feature yet? I read that the original TV out cable from the TP1 works with the TP2. If it matters, I care most if it works with the Sprint version.
TIA!

jimmyz 09-09-2009 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by augie0041 (Post 1148291)
Has anyone tried the TV out feature yet? I read that the original TV out cable from the TP1 works with the TP2. If it matters, I care most if it works with the Sprint version.
TIA!

yes- tv cable that works on TP1 works on TP2

TheBundo 09-09-2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddie (Post 1146489)
I’ve been playing with this device for three days now. My initial reaction is WOW! I spent yesterday going through all of the Sprint software on the TP2 so I’ll start there.

The OS 6.1 build that HTC uses on the TP2 is responsive and fast. Touchflow 3D works well and is very intuitive. The biggest difference in the makeover from the TP is that all of the apps seem to be much more in depth. An example is the battery app in settings. It has a page that shows the date of last full charge, standby time, talk time, etc. That brings me to battery life. I charged this thing on Sept 5 and just now plugged it in two days later and it had 1/3 battery left. I used text messaging, all the apps, tether mode for about an hour, and about 20min of talk time. The battery rivals Palm devices I have had in the past. There is absolutely no comparison with the terrible battery life on the TP1. Kudos HTC! The software interface on the Touch Pro 2 is just the right balance of ease of use and function. When you click start, you get a list of apps ala iPhone but can click “all apps” at the bottom. It goes on and on like that. If you’re used to the classic WM interface and want that, you’ll be customizing the TP2. I like the new front end so far.

Ok, so you say “yea they optimized the software, I can do that myself and don’t need to spend $350.” True, but you will not have that huge screen. It is responsive and the feel is great. The on screen keyboard is very usable with the extra real estate and the slide out keyboard is excellent. Does anyone know a key combo to get “ctl?” I miss that key for cutting and pasting. I found the GPS to be quick and pull in a signal much better than the TP. On a airplane recently, where my TP would very rarely get a gps signal, the TP2 got it in about 2 min. The hardware keys a few but work well. Man I remember my Mogul had buttons everywhere. The zoom bar is cool and I like it better than that device on the TP. Oh yea, the speakers, awesome. I ran some music and just sat the TP2 down and it was very good quality being in stereo. The speaker phone is actually useable too. Last but not least, the camera. Yea I know it didn’t get an upgrade from 3mp and there is no flash, but I took a few pics in low light and they look great. The camera works the best I’ve seen in a phone. The zoom bar makes short work of zooming for photos.

To sum up here’s my impression of the pluses and minuses.

Pluses
1) Great battery life
2) Much improved software interface
3) More in-depth system software
4) Beautiful screen
5) Great camera
6) Fast
7) Speakers that are loud and clear
8) Bluetooth 2.1 works great
9) Big slide out KB with tilt screen
10) Standard 1/8” audio jack
11) Fast GPS

Minuses – not many but here goes
1) Less memory, but I have yet to run out
2) No flashlight. Buy a $2 keychain light. I’m good without it.
3) They didn’t release this a year ago when I bought my TP

If you guys (and girls) are not convinced of HTC innovation and the future of Windows Mobile, go to an Apple store and spend some time with the iPhone. I have twice now. Cool device and what they do they do quite well but in true Apple style they are limited in scope to incorporate ease of use. My vote is still for Windows Mobile.

Cheers!

Great review. I'm pretty much decided to order one, probably Wednesday. I want WM 6.1, and the chance to wait on 6.5 to be vetted.

On you minus list, I agree with # 2. On my Mogul, I almost never use the flash for the camera, but rather as a flashlight. I remember when the flashlight hack came out, and everyone was worried that the bulb would burn out. I never heard of one that did, though, and that was the best use of it, except for an urgent picture within 10 ft. when a real camera wasn't available.

As far as # 1, there is not actually any less memory. They simply use page-pooling to make things load faster, and there is no evidence that some of that memory isn't released when needed. The "missing" 32 megs aren't missing at all, it's video shadow ROM on the TP1 and TP2, and never would be user accessible. Just a different way of displaying the memory.

ONFUS 09-09-2009 06:58 AM

Got mine yesterday - a long overdue replacement that I had been putting off.
First, I will say I was unimpressed by the packaging. Not that it is something that important, but I recall my old touch had a very decent packaging, at least twice as big and had more goodies. I'll say it is better for the environment, but Sprint definetively went for cheapo on this one, a holster would have been nice. Ordered one form Amazon for $15.

The phone feels smaller in my hand than I thought it would but is definetively a heavy phone. Perhaps a ruberized finish would have made it even easier to hold.
The screen is fantastic. Graphics look sharp, text reads great and the bigger screen is a big plus.

Sound is also better and while the speaker phone will not overtake your office's Polycom, it does a good job.

The interface seems to be well put together, it still has some lags here and there but is reasonable responsive most of the time. I will see how well we get along since I usually tend to disable these things and deal with the OS directly. It resembles quite a bit 6.5 that I was playing with on my prior phone, yet for people that couldn't care less about WM, HTC has done their homework tucking it away.

Not having a d-pad will take some getting used to as I will have to "learn" how to use my fingers to move between screens without navigating out.

I wish it had a few more side harware keys - I had reprogrammed them as shortcuts and I am missing this. I am sure I will figure out a way to reprogram one of the keys in the front, but it will not be the same.

WLAN works flawlessly. But for some reason some applications, like SprintTV do not work over WiFI. I guess they want you to take up their data plans.

Battery, too soon to tell. Yet it seemed to charge up faster.

Program memory usage is high, mine is constantly over 70% with all "apps" closed. Seems like manila is a heavyweight and I am afraid it might overtax the phone eventually. I am sure you guys will come up with options around this eventually.

eman 09-09-2009 08:51 AM

Here is my quick review....

An FYI, I have used a pocketpc for the last 7 years and had or used almost every Sprint ppc device since the ppc6600. I am coming from the Diamond.

This is truly a touch phone. I do not see a need at all to even include a stylus. You will not need it with this device. Although I never used one with my previous devices, I think it was more that I wanted to prove that I didn't need to use it and would struggle through things instead of pulling it out. Well at least now there is no struggle. Everything is so easy to use by hand, even the scroll bar on the right can be used easily by hand. No need to make it larger and fill half the screen so you can use your fingers. Bottom line, touch screen devices should not be made any smaller then this!

The device is pretty peppy so no complaints there.....Opera mobile is pretty fast on this device. Definetly better then any other version I have tried on my Diamond. Although it has had a lot of fans in the past, I was never one of them as it always seemed way to slow. Well I think it is actually useable now. Althogh my first browser of choice for surfing is Opera mini and it works great on the TP2. Nothing else compares to the speed of this thing.

For GPS I am using iGo8 and have not had any issues with it. It runs and looks fantastic!

The onscreen keyboard is very useable for typing out short messages. Definelty not as many mistakes as when using the Diamonds onscreen and hitting the letters on the corners is actually possible now! Of course it is nice having the hardware keyboard for those long emails....

As far as cons go, there is always a list that you can come up with but everyone's needs are different so I feel like that is based on the user at hand.

In conclusion, while the device is much larger then the Diamond I have gotten pretty used to it. To me it feels better then the TP which I felt was short and stubby. With the screen size if the TP2, I feel like the size is much more justified......When I ordered the phone I was thinking I just spent all this money on something I already have and was not to excited about it. Well after using this device for 5 minutes, it totally felt like something new. There was just no comparison to the Diamond and TP. I can't imagine going back to it. For anyone contimplating if they should upgrade, I definetly say it is worth it and what a difference a screen makes!

thgmotivation101 09-09-2009 09:06 AM

does anyone have a Touch pro 2 for sale at a decent price????

Huggybear 09-09-2009 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiderman313 (Post 1085613)
What about speakerphone quality and loudness?

The speaker phone quality and volume kick a$$! I've been in loud environments (press rooms, outdoor cafe's in Toronto) and all parties involved had no difficulties hearing or being heard.

I don't know what the TP speaker phone was like...but this is WAY clearer than the P6800.