PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Touch Pro 2 Reviews (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77471)

want2tokyo 09-11-2009 12:06 PM

Re: Touch Pro 2 Reviews

^ Very well said here.

After only one night of playing around with the TP2 I must say that it is superior in almost every way to the TP1. The stock rom out of the box is unbelievably fast and responsive (can't wait for the roms to start cooking), and the battery life is great. The best feature is the bigger screen. Now I was very skeptical about upgrading to the TP2 from the TP1 because all I really saw was an increase in screen size but let me tell you, THIS ALONE IS WORTH IT. On the TP1 I would run into the problem of the onboard keyboard popping up and scrunching up the rest of the screen; not a problem with the TP2. For those of you on the fence about upgrading to the TP1, all I have to say is once you upgrade you will smile with pleasure.

Not everything is peaches and cream, my biggest gripe is with the stylus. Why couldn't they have kept it like the TP1 with the magnetic tip in there. It's now so hard to pull out that I feel like I might pull off my fingernail getting it out at times. Also, the absence of the flash on the back leaves me without a pocket flashlight. All in all though I am very happy.

want2tokyo 09-11-2009 12:06 PM

Double post like a dummy....

marcus_cruz 09-11-2009 07:24 PM

Ok.. Mine finally got here.
So far I "like" it.
I miss my tab key on the KB.
I also noticed it's a different CPU in the device information.
The Touch PRO showed a 7501A, and my Touch Pro 2 shows 7600.
The display could also use some upgraded video drivers as I find the manilla TF3D to be a bit grainy. Pictures look awesome in the HTC Album though, I also love the ISO feature in the camera. Shooting in low light conditions will be easier with an ISO800 setting.
I'm sure there are other settings in the camera, but theyre just locked down. Such as shotter speed etc. The battery cover was a bit of a pain, but that will improve over time. It only heats up to about 50 % of what the TP1 used to, at least according to my IR thermometer. I was able to drain the battery within an hour of heavy use. That was on a 50 % charge out of the box. The large display makes web pages so much more usable. I absolutely love the back cover colors. The dark charcoal/silver are lovely. The orange portion underneath looks like it's removable, I'll investigate that later. All in all on a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 8.

GoodThings2Life 09-12-2009 12:41 AM

Now that I've worked with it in full use for a few days, my verdict is still the same: overall, I absolutely LOVE it, and I can't imagine using any other phone on the market today. Period.

I do miss having a proper D-pad, however, there are several ways to accommodate it, and it's just a matter of getting used to it. The easiest workaround is to use the soft keyboard or physical keyboard arrow keys, both of which are almost always available. Finger gestures also work really well, after all, it IS the Touch Pro 2.

The new TouchFLO 3D is nice. Very nice. But it's still too gimmicky/consumer-grade for me to really like it full time. I switched back to Mobile Shell 3.0 within 24 hours.

orlandojumpoff 09-12-2009 04:35 PM

/\ you can also use this to remap volume rocker to dpad controls, but you lose volume keys of course. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=552947

Dragon2 09-12-2009 08:03 PM

coming from a sprint tp1 to tmobiles tp2, i couldnt be happier.....

tp1 keyboard was decent and one of the best imo, but wow does the tp2 have a really nice spaced out keyboard with nice buttons that have a great feel when pressed and the phone dont creak....

screen on the tp1 was always a downfall as alot of phones now a days have bigger screens than it even though its resolution was nice..... the tp2 is wayyy bigger and the colors are just brighter imo....

the battery on the touch pro 1 sucked, it would get way to hott and would eat away at battery life and barely make it through the day with hardly any use.... now the tp2 battery lasts two maybe 3 times as long, it dont heat up to a scary temp and i dont have to worry anymore about it.

the build quality on the tp1 was ok, it creaked at some times and the keyboards pooped out.... so far i see no signs of creaking or heat to kill the keyboard, there is no gap between the screen and keyboard and its solid as can be....

the os on the tp1 lag at times causing a furry inside me that would wanna throw it against the wall, but i havent had any lags, freezes, hickups or wierd things happening on the tp2....

almsot all my programs that worked on the tp1 works on the touch pro2....

there is no lag while texting or no major slowing down while trying to do stuff while sending a email.....

the no d pad is kinda hard to get used to but once you do its great and no biggie....

the gps seems very fast and gets a lock indoors in like 3 seconds.....

there is no need for a custom rom as its very fast and smooth....

i love my htc touch pro 2, its fast, beautiful, and lasts alot longer than its little brother.......

Nikkirox_1 09-14-2009 02:03 PM

Some people have touched on the speaker volume. I guess I was looking for more information. I have the TP1 and the speaker and ringer volume is a joke. What I want to hear is more on that how much louder is it. I am slightly hearing impared and it would great if the volume sounded like my friends Blackberry Bold the volume on that thing is outstanding. He once was standing about 6-8 feet away from me with it in his pocket playing the mp3's and I asked where is that music coming from thinking it was a radio and he said it was his phone. The TP couldn't begin to match that sound. Now if the TP2 can then I will be sold. I am sad to hear about the TP2 not having the flashlight for the camera and the d-pad. I didn't use my d-pad all that much on my Mogul but I do use it on the TP1. What about applications? What is on the TP2. I have a friend who has the ATT HTC Fuze and she got some really good applications on her phone. A deal breaker would be if it didn't include the MP3 Trimmer and the Voice Recorder I use those on my TP1.

christak 09-14-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orlandojumpoff (Post 1160317)
/\ you can also use this to remap volume rocker to dpad controls, but you lose volume keys of course. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=552947

This is better... if you map a "long press" for "dpad" control and "click" to default key, you don't have to lose default volume keys...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=10

vick2080 09-14-2009 04:06 PM

thats probably whats user accessible
in TP1 i think VZ had about 192, but you could only see about 120 depending on the Pagefile set for the ROM
i am a novice myself, i might be wrong

transcend73 09-14-2009 10:33 PM

Here are my thoughts for those on the fence about upgrading to the TP2.

I switched from a Diamond to a Touch Pro 2 and would never go back. The Diamond was my first pocket PC/smartphone and there were some things that kept nagging at me for the year I've had it. Sure the Diamond could do most things that the Pro can while maintaining a small form factor. I didn't even bother with a case for the Diamond because I carried it around in my pocket and it was barely noticeable.

What bothered me almost from day one was the small screen compared to the iPhone that made Internet browsing somewhat challenging and typing on the screen keyboard was difficult at times. The battery life was not good even with all of the tweaks applied.

IMO, the TP2 solves these problems. The screen is nice and large and I can read most web pages (like this one) without even zooming in. The on-screen keyboard is useable and it's actually taking me a while to get used to having a big hardware keyboard. Not only that but, my co-worker has a TP1 and I can feel the difference described by others when compared to the TP2. The TP2 feels nice and sturdy. The battery has been much better than my Diamond's even at stock settings.

For the past five days that I've owned the TP2 I've been carrying it around in my jeans pocket and don't really notice it. I don't see what the big deal is when people describe it as being a "brick" or big and bulky. It feels "just right" to me.

As far as the "classiness", the TP2 looks classier to me because next to it, the Diamond appears to be more plasticy with the huge button in the center. The TP2 has the metallic colored buttons miniaturized and out of the way beneath the screen.

The screen is what really makes it worth its weight in gold. The screen alone is what motivated me to switch. The keyboard is just a luxury to me, but the more I use it the more I'm glad it's there.

In short, I'd say that the upgrade from a Diamond to a TP2 is worth the cost. It's a totally different experience. In my opnion, the large, crisp screen alone is worth the upgrade.