PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Touch Pro 2 Reviews (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77471)

tsowen 07-31-2009 07:36 PM

Touch Pro 2 Reviews

Post your reviews here

MikeElGiga23 08-05-2009 06:28 PM

Re: Touch Pro 2 Reviews

Anyone? I'm interested in the reviews also since everyone (including me) has had some doubts about it due to the begger screen yet same processor to suck up power, less ram, etc. How are the gfx compared to the touch pro? Is it as laggy? Less? Keyboard delay? Gps lock? Etc.

Let the truth be revealed!! Lol

leanne 08-05-2009 07:08 PM

It's way quicker and snappier. Keyboard kicks *** over the TP one, GPS lock has been an issue for some.

Graphics are awesome!!

No problems for me at all so far, would not trade back to my TP !

CovKid66 08-05-2009 07:24 PM

There are tons of reviews out there that do a better and more thorough job than I could! I just read Mighty Mike's review if that helps.

My $0.02?
  • It's a solid, well built device that feels great in the hand. A little heavy, but it just feels perfect in your hand anyway. The curved / rounded corners and back make it seem less of a brick than the Touch Pro (TP from here on in) used to. That device was so square on the corners!
  • The screen is incredible...bright, large, and clear
  • The keyboard is absolutely fantastic...far better than the TP. Much more space between the keys. I had endless typos on the TP and often found myself using the SIP instead
  • No lag when sliding kbd in / out
  • Nice to have a 3.5mm headphone jack finally!
  • Audio quality and loudness seem just fine
  • I like the ever-so-slightly-raised volume buttons. I found the-almost-flush ones on the TP a PITA! Same for the power button
  • Not using TF3D but the Start Menu link to the Programs was a nice touch when I first tried it. I use SPB MobileShell 3.0 and compared to the Touch Pro the extra real estate is a real bonus
  • Battery life seems fine, but it really is too early to tell. I've only had it since yesterday and I'm on vacation right now anyway
  • Loving the tilt feature. Didn't really give it much thought until I started using the device in landscape. Feels great in your hands...really helps keep it balanced
  • Camera seems okay, but never been a fan of phone camera's...I don't buy a phone for it's camera features...I'm an amateur photographer....enough said
  • Thought I'd miss the d-pad but I think it's just something you have to get used to. I find I'm using this in landscape more than I ever used to use my TP anyway
  • Screen seems way more responsive than the TP
  • Definitely seems faster than the TP. No issues with memory. It's snappy
  • No issues with GPS locking like some others seem to be saying
  • Extra stylus length is nice
Seems like HTC have really done their homework with this device. Hats off to them for this one!

Hope this helps!

EDIT # 1: The zoom finger slider just above the hard buttons is a nice touch too. Zoom in and out in Opera, e-mail messages, etc. (Just got around to trying this out!)

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...11-29-17PM.gif

EDIT2: Here is a link to an update I compiled now that I'm 3 weeks into using my TP2.

Spiderman313 08-06-2009 05:17 PM

What about speakerphone quality and loudness?

eman 08-07-2009 01:47 PM

Is the screen sharper and better looking then the TP and Diamond? Take away that it is larger, does it look better? I know it it has a higher resolution, but the TP has a higher resolution then the iPhone, and I think the iphone screen looks sharper and better. Same thing goes with the Palm Pre. There is just something dated looking about the TP and Diamond screens in my opinion.

O'Neil Mitchell 08-07-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 1087359)
Is the screen sharper and better looking then the TP and Diamond? Take away that it is larger, does it look better? I know it it has a higher resolution, but the TP has a higher resolution then the iPhone, and I think the iphone screen looks sharper and better. Same thing goes with the Palm Pre. There is just something dated looking about the TP and Diamond screens in my opinion.

I'm not sure, but is the iPhone's screen glass

rev800x 08-07-2009 02:55 PM

I'm very curious to here about battery life. If it will last more then a day on a charge I'll be sold!

Cicatrize 08-07-2009 02:59 PM

How is the screen sensitivity in the corners and edges?

TP1 sucks. lol

CovKid66 08-07-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1087486)
How is the screen sensitivity in the corners and edges?

TP1 sucks. lol

Seems to work just fine in those areas.

CovKid66 08-07-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 1087359)

Size aside, I really can't see a difference in sharpness / clarity. It really does just seem to be a "longer" Touch Pro screen. I will say that I've found it to be more touch responsive though -you don't seem to have to tap things as hard as you did on the TP.

eman 08-07-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covkid66 (Post 1087571)
Size aside, I really can't see a difference in sharpness / clarity. It really does just seem to be a "longer" Touch Pro screen. I will say that I've found it to be more touch responsive though -you don't seem to have to tap things as hard as you did on the TP.

That stinks, I was hoping to see the screen and be wowed!

MightyMike 08-07-2009 11:12 PM

www.MightyROM.com, I just posted a little blurb about battery life and such. Enjoy

andsoitgoes 08-12-2009 01:06 AM

I think the screen "surface" probably doesn't help the "wow" factor. I know with the iPhone, the "glass" screen and the UI underneath make up for the cool factor, even being at a lower resolution.

Take the same video on both and I think you'll be happy to see the TP2 coming out way, way ahead.

But I don't think anything will beat the coolness of the Pre or iPhone UI, which I think make a huge bit of difference.

Think about it this way - Imagine running XP on a 42" monitor compared to running Vista on the same monitor. XP would look dirty as can be in comparison to Vista :)

eman 08-12-2009 03:03 PM

How is the sensitivity and response on the edge screen? On the Diamond it is terible. You have to really work your finger into a certain little spot to get it to register. My regular HTC Touch handled the edges of the screen better. Th Diamond was a downgrade in that sense and has made the device very fustrating in that sense......

CovKid66 08-12-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 1097034)
How is the sensitivity and response on the edge screen? On the Diamond it is terible. You have to really work your finger into a certain little spot to get it to register. My regular HTC Touch handled the edges of the screen better. Th Diamond was a downgrade in that sense and has made the device very fustrating in that sense......

This was asked, and answered, on the first page. Answer is "doesn't seem to be an issue with the TP2".

redz1234 08-12-2009 11:10 PM

Edge's are definitely not an issue. I can use the default sized scroll bar using fingers without issue.

eman 08-13-2009 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redz1234 (Post 1097914)
Edge's are definitely not an issue. I can use the default sized scroll bar using fingers without issue.

Great! That is the way it should be.....

northernpenguin 08-13-2009 08:47 AM

The only issue I have with scrolling is when I have the keyboard out. About 50% of the time I want to scroll vertically, I end up triggering the zoom bar instead. Not all applications support the Page Up/Page Down buttons on the keyboard either.

EvilDeadFan 08-13-2009 08:48 PM

Amen to that.. I had some GPS issues, but there is a cab to fix that. I get a lock INSTANTLY.
There are no lag issues with my device.. :)
The camera might seem the same megapixel, but the interface is far improved, and the resolution of the screen REAAALLLY helps. My god the photos look so clear on this screen now!:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CovKid66 (Post 1083817)
There are tons of reviews out there that do a better and more thorough job than I could! I just read Mighty Mike's review if that helps.

My $0.02?
  • It's a solid, well built device that feels great in the hand. A little heavy, but it just feels perfect in your hand anyway. The curved / rounded corners and back make it seem less of a brick than the Touch Pro (TP from here on in) used to. That device was so square on the corners!
  • The screen is incredible...bright, large, and clear
  • The keyboard is absolutely fantastic...far better than the TP. Much more space between the keys. I had endless typos on the TP and often found myself using the SIP instead
  • No lag when sliding kbd in / out
  • Nice to have a 3.5mm headphone jack finally!
  • Audio quality and loudness seem just fine
  • I like the ever-so-slightly-raised volume buttons. I found the-almost-flush ones on the TP a PITA! Same for the power button
  • Not using TF3D but the Start Menu link to the Programs was a nice touch when I first tried it. I use SPB MobileShell 3.0 and compared to the Touch Pro the extra real estate is a real bonus
  • Battery life seems fine, but it really is too early to tell. I've only had it since yesterday and I'm on vacation right now anyway
  • Loving the tilt feature. Didn't really give it much thought until I started using the device in landscape. Feels great in your hands...really helps keep it balanced
  • Camera seems okay, but never been a fan of phone camera's...I don't buy a phone for it's camera features...I'm an amateur photographer....enough said
  • Thought I'd miss the d-pad but I think it's just something you have to get used to. I find I'm using this in landscape more than I ever used to use my TP anyway
  • Screen seems way more responsive than the TP
  • Definitely seems faster than the TP. No issues with memory. It's snappy
  • No issues with GPS locking like some others seem to be saying
  • Extra stylus length is nice
Seems like HTC have really done their homework with this device. Hats off to them for this one!

Hope this helps!

EDIT # 1: The zoom finger slider just above the hard buttons is a nice touch too. Zoom in and out in Opera, e-mail messages, etc. (Just got around to trying this out!)

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...11-29-17PM.gif

ARHMogul 08-14-2009 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiderman313 (Post 1085613)
What about speakerphone quality and loudness?

The speaker phone is OUTSTANDING! As well as the audio quality, very crisp, loud, and even offers a 3D effect. Better than any HTC device yet.

janko10 08-14-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARHMogul (Post 1100524)
The speaker phone is OUTSTANDING! As well as the audio quality, very crisp, loud, and even offers a 3D effect. Better than any HTC device yet.

I'm looking forward to this for the car, not a big fan of bluetooth headsets.

eman 08-14-2009 02:31 PM

Nobody mentioned the lack of a dpad. Is there any way to play games on this device or even scroll line by line?

I just got to play with one at the T-MO store. The screen looks huge and the tilt feature of the screen is pretty cool. It was not as thick as I thought it was going to be but it is still pretty large coming from the Diamond. It towers over the Diamond. On the device I played with it did take a while to open up the Opera browser, contrary to what others have said. It felt pretty wide to. I almost dropped it a couple of times while playing with it and sliding out the keyboard. While I still think I might get the device when Sprint releases it, it really is just a TP with a larger screen.

glidersgalore 08-15-2009 03:48 PM

I am a Sprint person, but had to go to T-mob to check out the TP2, let me start with WOW, the screen is GREAT, the phone is thinner, and lighter. The back I think looks better than Sprints version, it is kinda the same color as the current TP.TF3D works great, not a big need for the stocks icon though. The program tab has more sections, the camera is better, at least it it appears that way. There is no 3.5 jack(not a big deal to me),With the new 3G they have the speeds were very close on with the speed tests I did compaired my TP. The best thing is the memory card has a slot on the side of the phone, so no need to remove the back cover.

CovKid66 08-15-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARHMogul (Post 1100524)

And the dedicated speakerphone mute hard button is a nice touch too! Really well thought out, especially seeing how you can place the phone face down to use the speakerphone and simply tap the mute button as needed during a call. If would be nice if there was a visual indicator that the call was muted e.g. a red LED or something...just in case you didn't press it properly! But you can always turn it over and see the mute icon on the main phone screen.

EDIT: Scratch that last comment...it must have been the bright sunlight where I was outside when I tried it first, because it definitely has an indicator that is green when the speakerphone is on, and flashes red when you press the mute button. Nice!

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...99-14-17PM.gif

CovKid66 08-15-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 1101412)
Nobody mentioned the lack of a dpad. Is there any way to play games on this device or even scroll line by line?

Definitely takes some getting used to...not having one! I read somewhere that part of the reasoning was that you would have the keyboard out more than in, and therefore did not need a d-pad. I'm not so sure about that myself. One of the places I keep struggling with is messaging, and the inability to scroll up and down messages using the dpad, particularly when you want to scroll above or below the current page. I was so used to doing this with the dpad, and now have to use my finger or stylus. Then if I actually want to delete a message without first opening it it's a bit of a pain because there is no way to highlight a particular message now without tapping it...and that of course opens it.

The obvious advantage is the larger screen (WVGA) though, and I know which I use / need more ;)

TheBundo 08-16-2009 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CovKid66 (Post 1103847)
And the dedicated speakerphone mute hard button is a nice touch too! Really well thought out, especially seeing how you can place the phone face down to use the speakerphone and simply tap the mute button as needed during a call. If would be nice if there was a visual indicator that the call was muted e.g. a red LED or something...just in case you didn't press it properly! But you can always turn it over and see the mute icon on the main phone screen.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...99-14-17PM.gif

Videos I've seen show the Mute button, when muted, flashing

razorloves 08-17-2009 03:51 AM

few days old but didn't see it posted in here yet.
cnet review of t-mobile tp2
http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-33738108.html

northernpenguin 08-17-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CovKid66 (Post 1103862)
Definitely takes some getting used to...not having one! I read somewhere that part of the reasoning was that you would have the keyboard out more than in, and therefore did not need a d-pad. I'm not so sure about that myself. One of the places I keep struggling with is messaging, and the inability to scroll up and down messages using the dpad, particularly when you want to scroll above or below the current page. I was so used to doing this with the dpad, and now have to use my finger or stylus. Then if I actually want to delete a message without first opening it it's a bit of a pain because there is no way to highlight a particular message now without tapping it...and that of course opens it.

The obvious advantage is the larger screen (WVGA) though, and I know which I use / need more ;)

Games are a ROYAL pain in the butt on the device, but not for the lack of a dpad. The cursor keys on the keyboard work great for that sort of thing. Most games don't understand that 800x480 resolution though - even the ones that display correctly often have the touchscreen buttons misaligned (you have to touch the screen an inch or so away from the button you want to hit). Also, most games will rotate landscape to the right-handed alignment, which puts the game upside down when viewed with the keyboard open.

SCUMMVM works fine (Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle, etc), if you run the *beta* version of the software. Most of the EA games I tried failed miserably with either inaccessible on screen controls (touch alignment issue) or insufficient memory to run game errors.

For scrolling in apps, the Telus version has Page Up/Page Down buttons on the keyboard, granted with the use of a Fn-Cursor Key sequence.

dabackwoodboy 08-18-2009 11:37 PM

things sound good guy it might be worth dropping my pre and coming back to windows phone

jvloyola 08-20-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CovKid66 (Post 1103862)

Any thoughts about reading books? how are we supposed to "turn" pages now?

Thanks!!

Vinny

Young_breedent 08-20-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glidersgalore (Post 1103424)
I am a Sprint person, but had to go to T-mob to check out the TP2, let me start with WOW, the screen is GREAT, the phone is thinner, and lighter. The back I think looks better than Sprints version, it is kinda the same color as the current TP.TF3D works great, not a big need for the stocks icon though. The program tab has more sections, the camera is better, at least it it appears that way. There is no 3.5 jack(not a big deal to me),With the new 3G they have the speeds were very close on with the speed tests I did compaired my TP. The best thing is the memory card has a slot on the side of the phone, so no need to remove the back cover.

The phone is a little thinner not much but it definitely is not lighter. It may just seem like it because the weight is more spread out. You also still have to take the battery cover off to get to the memory card slot because even though there is a door on the side you can't open it unless you stick a knife in there or something which in return will ruin the device. My cousin has this phone and i have planned with it for several hours

CovKid66 08-21-2009 05:30 PM

I still stand by my original review on page 1, and the pluses I outlined there.

I'll have had this 3 weeks I believe by the end of the weekend, and I can honestly say that I use this device more than any other I've owned in the past. And definitely way more for browsing, and even posting here as I'm doing now, than I would have considered with the TP, and really would not have considered with my Treo Pro if you know what I mean.

Here are my thoughts after about 3 weeks of use...

Pros
  • Keyboard is the absolute biggest pro. I love typing on this thing. With the TP I found myself using the SIP almost as much as the slider. Now I never use the SIP :)
  • Screen size is still a pro i.e. the W in WVGA
  • Tilt is a nice pro
  • Build quality -solid with no creaks (Telus model)
  • I personally like the slightly raised volume and power buttons. I did not like the fact they were virtually flush on the TP. At least I can find them now without having to look first!
  • New Bluetooth software interface is vastly improved and makes ActiveSync and File Transfer a breeze. I use File Transfer way more now, and always tended to pop my SD card out on the TP and transfer files that way for ease before
  • No overheating issues!!!
  • Battery is lasting longer than the TP...no real stats or #'s though sorry. Let's just say that I no longer worry about it running out if I'm on wifi and browsing for a few hours like the TP did
  • 3.5mm jack -I typcially never used by TP as an MP3 because of that. Can't say I've used the TP2 much for it either as yet, but I have used it a few times and it does make a big difference in terms of cable / connector clutter

No Issues
  • Size /weight has not been a pro or con -I can't say I've noticed it -not as far as coming from a TP is concerned anyway. However, if you're going from something like a Diamond, you're gonna notice it!
  • Phone features (calling/receiving) seems the same in terms of functionality
  • Can't say I've really noticed a difference in terms of call quality...but I'm not a huge phone call user, and use a BT headset for the most part when I do
  • I do not use TF3D so I can make no comments on the main UI sorry

Cons
  • Lack of a dpad is somewhat of a con. This will mean more to some and less to others. Gamers may hate not having it for instance.
  • Lack of a CTL key is a bit of a pain when you need a copy/paste and the tap and hold isn't available
  • Microsoft Voice Command takes longer to initiate when I press my BT headset button -and perhaps it's just me, but less reliable in terms of initial recognition too! I love that app too :( I will try another version I already have soon and see if it makes a difference
  • Lack of custom ROMs a real con ;) But I know they're just around the corner baby!
My pros/cons are primarily hardware based. I won't comment too much on software in general as to me that's a moot point. Custom ROMs and 3rd party apps help in that department. In terms of software, everything I've always used still seems to work just fine. I use SprintDB for a database app and the extra screen size is a big plus there. And the same goes for SPB MobileShell 3...it rocks on the new screen!

Hope this helps.

akayareal 08-21-2009 11:12 PM

How is the sound quality as far as MP3s are concerned. I understand call quality is good with the speakerphone but what about bass heavy songs and things of that sort.

And can everyone else report that this phone doesn't have an over heating problem like the tp.

Baron Baron 08-23-2009 10:45 PM

how about scratch-proofness? does it scratch easily? (front and back)

CovKid66 08-24-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Baron (Post 1118324)
how about scratch-proofness? does it scratch easily? (front and back)

The finish on the back of the Telus model seems pretty scratch resistant, as opposed to something like the shiny black finish on the Treo Pro that I had. It picked up scratches easily and I'm not heavy handed! I'm 3 weeks in and not a mark yet -however, I tend to look after my devices really well. I have a screen protector on and that is helping the display. There are some minor marks on it, but that's why you put the protector on anyways right.

Overall very happy. Watch me drop it this afternoon now !

Young_breedent 08-24-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akayareal (Post 1115298)
How is the sound quality as far as MP3s are concerned. I understand call quality is good with the speakerphone but what about bass heavy songs and things of that sort.

And can everyone else report that this phone doesn't have an over heating problem like the tp.

Just think about. The speakers have been upgraded for the speakerphone and conference calling. There are dual speakers and an amp. You play music through the speaker phone so naturally it will sound better then before. My cousin has the t mobile TP2 and the music sounds sooooo good. Nice, loud and crisp. definitely better than the original touch peo. If you listen to alot of music on your phone as i do, you will no be disappointed at all. I am an artist and actually listen to music and write on my phone so if it is sufficient for me im sure someone who just listens to music will definitely enjoy it. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

jessiethe3rd 08-25-2009 02:10 AM

Time for a review...

It's been 2 weeks now with my Touch Pro 2. We have been our ups... we've been through our downs... we are now married and you know what? I couldn't be more happy - I made the right decision.

I have used many HTC Winmo devices... for that matter I have been a heavy Winmo user since well... hmm... The Hitachi G1000... any of you remember this device? :D

But I digress... the review of the TP2. So what's the TP2 about... really? SCREEN. REAL ESTATE. Room to move, room to view... room for whatever you like. When I look at the TP2 the obvious jumps outs and hits you upside the head with a hammer - the device is almost pure screen on the TP2 side... in comparison the Touch Pro looks well... dinky. No the TP is not a dinky device at all but once you get the screen on the TP2 a whirl you won't want anything else. 800x480 is a fantastic resolution for viewing websites, pictures, and text messaging. Popping the TP2 into landscape I am treated with widescreen goodness. It's absolutely fantastic. Pop the soft QWERTY and you are treated with plenty of screen REAL ESTATE to view and type at the same time.

Sensativity is WAY up on the TP2 vs the TP. They have made some solid strides. There is a little bit of slack between the screen press and the actual contact (maybe this is because the screen is larger?) and I do not mind it at all. When scrolling through things, closing applications, and just general use you can tell a difference. No it's not as precise as a capacitive iPhone but it is a big step in the right direction... and I can see this as being HTCs last chapter in resistive screens (I am all for it if they can allow me to still use my stylus when I want to here and there.)

There really isnt a comparison from a keyboard perspective. Yes they both can type letters on the screen. One obviously has a MUCH better experience. The give on the keyboard has been mentioned in many previous reviews so I won't go into a long explanation. The lack of a control button didn't actually bug me until someone said something about it. One does have to use the screen for things like c,c,p but overal the keyboard is like no other device I have used with a QWERTY hardware keyboard. Speed, efficiency, and good tactial feel mark a very professional messaging input system.

Here's some applications I use a lot and a bit of information on the experience with the HTC Touch Pro2 versus HTC Touch Pro.

Garmin XT - more to see... in landscape - BAM its perfect - one needs not buy a stand alone GPS device now.

Email - More to see... Cleartype on the landscape... it looks looks absolutely great. TP? Looks okay but nothing like the TP2.

Music - I plug in my headset to the TP2 and listen. TP? I look for my dongle, plug the doggle into the TP, plug my earphones into the dongle and listen. One less step, one less thing to remember... as a matter of fact I had music loaded on the TP but never used it because of the time and energy it took to keep track of one more piece.

SPB TV - Cramped on TP - TP2 with the screen tilt function it's fantastic. I can set up the TP2 and just sit back and watch movies, news, etc... it's great!

Texting - I like TF 2.1 - I really like the contact card and the ability to send text right from TF versus the 6.1 SMS application. Threaded or not TF 2.1 is just better then 6.1. I have an updated ROM on my old TP but the screen real estate mading doing texting in TF 2.1 just a better experience then the TP.

I could go on and on... quick summary of the pros and cons...

Pros:
SCREEN
KEYBOARD
TF 2.1 native
3.5mm socket
Battery Life

Cons:
Sort of miss the hardware controls
Zoom bar needs more uses
Not really happy with the inability to assign buttons to different tasks (I use Voice Commander - don't want to give it up to other applications)
Wish the screen tilted just a TAD bit more!
Wish there was a speaker phone hardware button
Would of liked to have a magnetic stylus
Wish Telus would of packed a good case with the device

TripleAgent 08-25-2009 11:06 AM

Re: Time for a review...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd (Post 1120492)
It's been 2 weeks now with my Touch Pro 2. We have been our ups... we've been through our downs... we are now married and you know what? I couldn't be more happy - I made the right decision.

I have used many HTC Winmo devices... for that matter I have been a heavy Winmo user since well... hmm... The Hitachi G1000... any of you remember this device? :D

But I digress... the review of the TP2. So what's the TP2 about... really? SCREEN. REAL ESTATE. Room to move, room to view... room for whatever you like. When I look at the TP2 the obvious jumps outs and hits you upside the head with a hammer - the device is almost pure screen on the TP2 side... in comparison the Touch Pro looks well... dinky. No the TP is not a dinky device at all but once you get the screen on the TP2 a whirl you won't want anything else. 800x480 is a fantastic resolution for viewing websites, pictures, and text messaging. Popping the TP2 into landscape I am treated with widescreen goodness. It's absolutely fantastic. Pop the soft QWERTY and you are treated with plenty of screen REAL ESTATE to view and type at the same time.

Sensativity is WAY up on the TP2 vs the TP. They have made some solid strides. There is a little bit of slack between the screen press and the actual contact (maybe this is because the screen is larger?) and I do not mind it at all. When scrolling through things, closing applications, and just general use you can tell a difference. No it's not as precise as a capacitive iPhone but it is a big step in the right direction... and I can see this as being HTCs last chapter in resistive screens (I am all for it if they can allow me to still use my stylus when I want to here and there.)

There really isnt a comparison from a keyboard perspective. Yes they both can type letters on the screen. One obviously has a MUCH better experience. The give on the keyboard has been mentioned in many previous reviews so I won't go into a long explanation. The lack of a control button didn't actually bug me until someone said something about it. One does have to use the screen for things like c,c,p but overal the keyboard is like no other device I have used with a QWERTY hardware keyboard. Speed, efficiency, and good tactial feel mark a very professional messaging input system.

Here's some applications I use a lot and a bit of information on the experience with the HTC Touch Pro2 versus HTC Touch Pro.

Garmin XT - more to see... in landscape - BAM its perfect - one needs not buy a stand alone GPS device now.

Email - More to see... Cleartype on the landscape... it looks looks absolutely great. TP? Looks okay but nothing like the TP2.

Music - I plug in my headset to the TP2 and listen. TP? I look for my dongle, plug the doggle into the TP, plug my earphones into the dongle and listen. One less step, one less thing to remember... as a matter of fact I had music loaded on the TP but never used it because of the time and energy it took to keep track of one more piece.

SPB TV - Cramped on TP - TP2 with the screen tilt function it's fantastic. I can set up the TP2 and just sit back and watch movies, news, etc... it's great!

Texting - I like TF 2.1 - I really like the contact card and the ability to send text right from TF versus the 6.1 SMS application. Threaded or not TF 2.1 is just better then 6.1. I have an updated ROM on my old TP but the screen real estate mading doing texting in TF 2.1 just a better experience then the TP.

I could go on and on... quick summary of the pros and cons...

Pros:
SCREEN
KEYBOARD
TF 2.1 native
3.5mm socket
Battery Life

Cons:
Sort of miss the hardware controls
Zoom bar needs more uses
Not really happy with the inability to assign buttons to different tasks (I use Voice Commander - don't want to give it up to other applications)
Wish the screen tilted just a TAD bit more!
Wish there was a speaker phone hardware button
Would of liked to have a magnetic stylus
Wish Telus would of packed a good case with the device

Thanks for the feedback. I had the G1000, lol. Wow, what a difference a few years makes. I am sold! I'm tired of these TP1 issues, just waiting for Sprint now...

mrsamtee 08-25-2009 05:36 PM

anyone use remote desktop on tp2. with the bigger screen how does it pan out?