PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (Previously Diamond, Touch, 6800, 6700, Dell Axims, Various iPaqs and Philips Nino)
Carrier: Sprint

k000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do I confirm I can use TP2 overseas ?

It's been close to 1 year and I have forgotten what all I unded to unlock the TP2/SIM...

Now I am looking at a vacation next month and would love to be able to use my TP2 with all the phone numbers etc in there already.

Can someone please tell me what all I need to check to make sure I am unlocked ?

When i click on Settings-->personal-->Security I see that it saus "SIM Unlocked" is that good enough and all I need to do is take out the whiteSprint card and pop the other SIM card in ? How do I check if I can also use it on US non-Sprint networks ?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

ntl555 is becoming a great contributor
Re: How do I confirm I can use TP2 overseas ?

well you got several options..

1. call sprint to activate the SIM card for use internationally. This is what I did and it was more convenient for me.

2. pay for the SIM Unclocker (make sure your phone is HSPL unlocked as well) and buy an International SIM card for overseas use. This of course will give you an international number for the country you will be traveling.

3. If you paid for the unlocker, just go to bootloader mode and it should say security unlocked and your radio is like 2.23.00WU. and just set your phone to global mode with an activated sim card for international use.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: MoPho

krnfrk6663 is keeping up the good workkrnfrk6663 is keeping up the good workkrnfrk6663 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to krnfrk6663 Send a message via MSN to krnfrk6663 Send a message via Yahoo to krnfrk6663

You don't need the unlocker for oversea use. Just get a prepaid simcard from the country you'll be in, or call sprint for an international plan to use with the simcard that came from sprint.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnfrk6663
You don't need the unlocker for oversea use. Just get a prepaid simcard from the country you'll be in, or call sprint for an international plan to use with the simcard that came from sprint.
+1 on buying a pre-paid sim for whatever network is available where you are going to. Your device is already SIM Unlocked for non-US networks.
Have a good trip!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:57 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

Sprint phones are already SIM unlocked from the store/factory. They just locked out US GSM signals, but you can use any SIM in the phone that you want. If you want to use it on AT&T/T-mobile, you'd have to get the security unlocker that will allow you to flash a modified radio to your phone which unlocks the US GSM networks.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G in the US, TP2 in Prague
Carrier: Sprint/T Mobile CZ

mplsfalls1973 is just getting started

As the previous posters mentions you can purchase a prepaid sim card to use overseas. I have found that internet typically costs around $10 a month to use for up to 100mb and $15-20 for up to 300mb. In Europe where I have traveled extensively, typical internet pricing is tiered on usage. The companies which do offer flat unlimited access are hit and miss, and will cost around $40 a month. Depending on which countries you are visiting you might or might not find an English speaking rep at allot of stores though. Also, roaming on a prepaid sim card is fairly expensive so I would not spend too much in any one country if you are traveling around allot.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k000 View Post
It's been close to 1 year and I have forgotten what all I unded to unlock the TP2/SIM...

Now I am looking at a vacation next month and would love to be able to use my TP2 with all the phone numbers etc in there already.
I forgot to mention, just because your phone numbers are already stored in the phone does not mean that you will be able to dial as you would here in the United States. You probably will not. Typically you would add 001 then the area code to call the United States, or 0044 to call the UK etc. If you plan to call the United States much I would suggest purchasing a $39 Magic Jack and taking an inexpensive corded telephone and using the free wifi connections most hotels have available. It could save you allot of money. Calls to the US from most of the countries I have traveled to or lived in are around $.75 to $1 a minute which adds up quikly. I have yet to travel to a country which blocks the ports for Magic Jack whereas I have traveled to countries which block other VOIP alternatives.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Verizon

machek is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplsfalls1973 View Post
I forgot to mention, just because your phone numbers are already stored in the phone does not mean that you will be able to dial as you would here in the United States. You probably will not. Typically you would add 001 then the area code to call the United States, or 0044 to call the UK etc. If you plan to call the United States much I would suggest purchasing a $39 Magic Jack and taking an inexpensive corded telephone and using the free wifi connections most hotels have available. It could save you allot of money. Calls to the US from most of the countries I have traveled to or lived in are around $.75 to $1 a minute which adds up quikly. I have yet to travel to a country which blocks the ports for Magic Jack whereas I have traveled to countries which block other VOIP alternatives.
I have a question related to this, does that mean that when you place your sim from the country your visiting, do your contacts phone numbers come up in your contacts list, or do they not since you now have a new number, Correct?

Secondly, I'm assuming by placing a new sim in, you have a new number therefor your friends cant call you unless you give them that number?

Thirdly, I have asked this before but never really got a straight answer, but seeing as how if I was to go overseas, I wouldnt want my emails to come, so how do you turn data off. (and will this include all data off, like weather, stocks, groovemobile, etc)
Old 10-05-2010, 08:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

When you place a new sim card in your phone, the contacts you have stored should remain in your telephone unless they were stored on a sim card which is unlikely since your phone does not have the HardSPL unlock if I read correctly. Contacts in Windows mobile are stored by default in the device memory, so this should not be an issue.

For your question about the phone number your friends would have to call, yes it would be a different number and if calling from the United States an international call. I am not sure if using the sim card that Sprint offers still has your normal number, but I would assume so. The problem with that is when you get your bill you could very easily find out that your airfare and hotel were the inexpensive portion of your trip, especially if the people calling you are not paying at all because it is a local call.

Turning off the internet services is simply a matter of going into each program and unchecking the auto update feature. Weather and Stocks are both pretty easy as is the email, but I am unsure of exactly how to turn off the update feature on Groove mobile.

I hope you have a nice trip and enjoy traveling abroad.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Am in France right now. Am up and running on the best network, Orange, for $40 for a week now and works fine. I used to use the Spring Service, but they want $16 a MB. Not sure if Orange is cheaper, but at least it is limited, given the way Sprint loves to overbill.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2