PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   ѠѳѺ Ultimate Overclocking, Tweaks and Tools Guide For TP2 ѺѳѠ Updated 10/21/2010 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132714)

gono666 08-31-2010 02:42 PM

ѠѳѺ Ultimate Overclocking, Tweaks and Tools Guide For TP2 ѺѳѠ Updated 10/21/2010

7 Attachment(s)

Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ

Disclaimer

Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ

Follow this guide at your own risk ANY DAMAGE to your device is your responsibility blah blah something stuff stuff, so yeah overclocking\tweaking is good but bad if done wrong,well kinda bad even if you do it right since it shortens the life of your CPU\Device.

***All cab files are attached on the bottom of this post***

Overclocking

Version 1.666

Files Needed for version 1.666 of my guide are attached at the end of this post

Instructions

1. Download and install "BulletProof Overclock"
  2. Download and install "Total Commander" and "Msm7kCpuSpeed"
  3. Install "Msm7kCpuSpeed_v2" and run it, change the overclocking speed to 604MHz and click on the "MENU" soft key and select "APPLY SPEED AT BOOT"
  4. Using "Total Commander" go to "\Windows\Startup\" find the shortcut named "SetCpuSpeed.Ink" click and hold on the shortcut to get the right, click menu click on "PROPERTIES" and click on the top tab "SHORTCUT" now on the target line you have to add "/boot" (No quotation " ") to the link location and it should look like this "\Program Files\SetCpuSpeed\SetCpuSpeed.exe" /boot now you can click "OK" Look at picture attached
  5. Using "Total Commander" in the "ROOT MENU" (Look at picture attached) go to "\\Plugins\registry\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Msm7kCpuSpee d\" and find the key "PerformanceLevel" and double click it, now change the value to "40" and click "OK" (Highest stable overclock i have done with no crashes or problems, value 40=768MHz. Stability can SOMETIMES depend on rom build, if you experience instability issues lower this setting)
And... DONE! you can now soft reset your device and enjoy the new improved performance of your TP2! YES ITS WAY EASIER THEN MY FIRST GUIDE! (Version 0.666)

Picture below is to be used as reference for step 4, this is how it should look to have the overclock kick in at device boot time.

Picture below shows "ROOT MENU" or 'MAIN MENU" on Total Commander, as you can see \\Plugins is the first option on the top of the list.

http://l4dhydra.webs.com/root.png

Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ
-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ-Ѻ

Tips and Useful Information

SetCpuSpeed Registry Key Explanation

The following information is for SetCpuSpeed it explains what each registry does to the overclocking process.

Command - (default value: 0) - If set to 1 SetCpuSpeed reloads the parameters and restores Command to 0. If set to 2 SetCpuSpeed restores Command to 0 and terminates itself.

BootTime - (default value: 20000) - If run with parameter "/boot" SetCpuSpeed waits BootTime milliseconds before acting on the clock.

CheckTime - (default value: 200) - SetCpuSpeed checks the CPU clock every CheckTime milliseconds.

SettlingTime - (default value: 10) - Time to wait after restoring CPU clock to safe value (604 MHz).

PerformanceLevel - (default value: 33) - This is the overclock factor, the CPU clock is approximately PerformanceLevel * 19.2 MHz (e.g. 33 * 19.2 = 633.6 MHz).

ScreenOffPerformanceLevel - (default value: 9) - This is the underclock factor, the CPU clock is approximately ScreenOffPerformanceLevel * 19.2 MHz.

PerformanceLevel Reference Tips

Here is some value reference data for the "PerformanceLevel" registry key

44=845 MHz
43=826 MHz
42=806 MHz
41=787 MHz
40=768 MHz
39=748 MHz
38=729 MHz
37=710 MHz
36=691 MHz
35=672 MHz
34=652 MHz
33=633 MHz
32=614 MHz
31=604 MHz
30=576 MHz
29=556 MHz
28=537 MHz

Battery Performance Tweak

Please refer to THIS POST for information on this cab, created by Maxx134, so far i have really noticed a better battery performance i would say at least 30% better, i am currently overclocked at 768MHz. Cab is also attached at the end of this post. Please hit the THANKS button on Maxx134 post he really did an awesome job on this cab!

Advanced Configuration Tool v3.3

Advanced Configuration Tool 3.0 is now available, I did a lot of research and disassembling to give you access to more than 200 tweaks, this new version is fully compatible with HTC Diamond. It includes TouchFLO 3D customization and supports TouchFLO 3D soft-keys mapping.

For complete feature list please go HERE

This are the settings im currently running under the performance settings;

File system cache:
Enabled
File system cache size: 4mb
File system filter catch: 8192 sectors
PNP unload delay: 1500
PNP wait I/O delay: 1500
Glyph cache: 32kb

HTCADDICTS cleanRAM

One solution when your PDA slows down is to reset (reboot) and the another is to use cleanRAM. Welcome to a world without Soft Rest !!

For complete feature list go HERE

Special thanks to the developers and users who made this possible

NetRipper<-----Creator of Msm7kCpuSpeed_v2.
oruam57<------Creator of SetCpuSpeed.
BoominSVX<---For finding the registry key fix causing the crash issue when finishing a call.
Dotfred<--------For his awesome FDCSoft Task Manager.
Christian Ghisler<-For his awesome file manager Total Commander.
Maxx134<------Creator of the awesome battery tweak cab.
schaps<--------Developer of Advanced Configuration Tool.
HTCAddicts<---Developers of cleanRAM.
GoNo666<------For making BulletProof Overclock cab and this guide.

It took me about 1.5hrs to make this guide and about 2hrs making the cab for version 1.666 of my guide i don't ask for donations but i do appreciate if u hit the "Thanks" button, it only takes a couple of seconds to do it. :eek:

FOR THOSE WHO JUST COME IN AND POST THAT THIS IS "OVERLY COMPLICATED,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH" PLEASE RESERVE YOUR COMMENTS OR START A NEW THREAD THIS IS HOW I GOT A PERFECT OVERCLOCK AND IM NOT FORCING ANYONE TO DO IT THIS WAY I JUST THOUGHT I SHOULD SHARE WHAT I KNOW.
THANK YOU
:mrgreen:

ChangeLog

08-31-2010 Wrote version 0.666 of my overclocking guide

09-06-2010 Created my own cab (BulletProof Overclock) and created a modified version of my guide 0.666 which has been updated to version 1.666, also added some screen-shots because a couple of users had problems following my guide.

09-06-2010 Had issues with my new cab,registry errors were fixed

09-11-2010 Some tips and important info was added also added Maxx134 battery tweaks.

10-21-2010 Added ACT and cleanRAM, also cleaned up and re-arranged the post.

twobeaglesjtj 08-31-2010 02:51 PM

Re: ѠѳѺ Ultimate Overclocking Guide For TP2 ѺѳѠ

Bad link for "overclocking files"

Dr.8820 08-31-2010 02:53 PM

great job op, thanks hit!

gono666 08-31-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobeaglesjtj (Post 1930323)
Bad link for "overclocking files"

Thanks for reporting the bad link, link has been fixed :mrgreen:

bitslizer 08-31-2010 02:58 PM

Why the heck is this so complicated? not that i can't follow it, but basically I just download the Cabs for MSM72kSpeed and SetCPUspeed from XDA and install those and everything works fine already! why need to do all this folders / shortcuts creation?

gono666 08-31-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitslizer (Post 1930344)
Why the heck is this so complicated? not that i can't follow it, but basically I just download the Cabs for MSM72kSpeed and SetCPUspeed from XDA and install those and everything works fine already! why need to do all this folders / shortcuts creation?

If you only install Msm7kSpeed and SetCpuSpeed you will have stability issue when finishing phone calls, to be honest i didnt know that SetCpuSpeed had been packed into a cab file can you please post the link to it maybe the reg fix was added to this cab you are talking about,and BTW alot of users are still lost on how to overclock thats why i made a detailed guide of how to do it.

gono666 08-31-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobeaglesjtj (Post 1930378)
For number 9, where do I find the "root menu"?? Thanks

root menu will be the main browsing menu on total commander where u will find \\\Plugins,My Documents,Program Files,Windows,etc if you click on "\" on the top of the window next the address bar that will take you to the main\root menu of total commander.

twobeaglesjtj 08-31-2010 03:33 PM

When I restart I get an error message after i unlock it that says..the file 'SetCpuSpeed.exe/boot' cannot be opened. It locks the phone up and I have to restart................ What next????

gono666 08-31-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobeaglesjtj (Post 1930406)
Awesome!!!! Thanks for your hard work!!!

your welcome, and thanks for reading my guide =)

Phen0m 08-31-2010 03:42 PM

I really like OCT v1.5 once i got the hang of it

bitslizer 08-31-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gono666 (Post 1930354)
If you only install Msm7kSpeed and SetCpuSpeed you will have stability issue when finishing phone calls, to be honest i didnt know that SetCpuSpeed had been packed into a cab file can you please post the link to it maybe the reg fix was added to this cab you are talking about,and BTW alot of users are still lost on how to overclock thats why i made a detailed guide of how to do it.

Here you go

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1000

gono666 08-31-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobeaglesjtj (Post 1930406)
When I restart I get an error message after i unlock it that says..the file 'SetCpuSpeed.exe/boot' cannot be opened. It locks the phone up and I have to restart................ What next????

make sure you use "/" you need to hit space once after the link's quotation mark it should like this SetCpuSpeed.exe" /boot

shadixmax 08-31-2010 04:31 PM

I like this walkthrough, i used it very easily. my question is when it's all done and after soft resetting. will it show the new speed? or does it still show the stock 528?

gono666 08-31-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadixmax (Post 1930483)
I like this walkthrough, i used it very easily. my question is when it's all done and after soft resetting. will it show the new speed? or does it still show the stock 528?

to see your current speed just open Msm7kCpuSpeed located in your start menu,the stock speed still shows as 528 in the hardware information found under system settings but this is not the actual speed in which your cpu is currently running.

shadixmax 08-31-2010 04:55 PM

oh, ok. thanks, another question then. it reads 633.6 i cant seem to get it to go higher. is this what you ment by it differ's by roms?

jdpman 08-31-2010 05:03 PM

This seems overly complicated and confusing compared to the solution we already have thanks to nayr1482. Its basically just 3 steps with a GUI for setting all the options. You could have just made this thread link to the other thread which is already the ultimate OC guide for TP2...

Gorby 08-31-2010 05:07 PM

Thanks for putting it together, this gives another option for people to try in case if they have issues with other methods. Nice work!

Please ignore the bashers. Most of the time it's people who contribute nothing complain the most.

gono666 08-31-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadixmax (Post 1930518)
oh, ok. thanks, another question then. it reads 633.6 i cant seem to get it to go higher. is this what you ment by it differ's by roms?

if you followed all the steps on my guide,the only thing you want to double check the reg. key AutoPerformanceLevel found under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Msm7kCpuSpeed and change the value to 40 which is 768MHz

shadixmax 08-31-2010 05:19 PM

alright, i checked everthing and its set to 40 like you said. now would that be 40 Dec? or Hex? or maybe i'm looking at it wrong hmm...

gono666 08-31-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadixmax (Post 1930554)
alright, i checked everthing and its set to 40 like you said. now would that be 40 Dec? or Hex? or maybe i'm looking at it wrong hmm...

40 decimal,you might have missed a step, double check the guide and make sure you covered all the spots =) let me know if you need more help.

sprinttouch666 08-31-2010 10:19 PM

has anyone found a solution to not being able to boot android while winmo is overclocked? (sorry is this is slightly off topic)

creedo 08-31-2010 11:05 PM

Something I'm surprised more people don't ask, how safe is it? I mean, if you try to go too high can you kill your phone? Or is it just minor stuff like sudden freezes or reboots?

Is it safe enough to just try for the maximum speed once, and if you run into issues, get in there and change the settings before anything serious happens? Some say just try it in steps, increasing speed gradually. How long should I look for a speed to be stable before I decide to try the next higher speed?

If I OC the phone and it somehow burns out, will insurance cover it (assuming you just tell them it died by itself, not admitting you OCed it to hell)?

Has anyone heard of that happening?

gono666 08-31-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprinttouch666 (Post 1930895)
has anyone found a solution to not being able to boot android while winmo is overclocked? (sorry is this is slightly off topic)

LOL 666 on your name... SUP EVIL BRO! ok moving on to your question, when i tried android Os on my phone it was in early stages of the development so i didn't use for long,i will install it on my phone and as soon as i get it to run properly ill let you know.

gono666 08-31-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creedo (Post 1930949)
Something I'm surprised more people don't ask, how safe is it? I mean, if you try to go too high can you kill your phone? Or is it just minor stuff like sudden freezes or reboots?

Is it safe enough to just try for the maximum speed once, and if you run into issues, get in there and change the settings before anything serious happens? Some say just try it in steps, increasing speed gradually. How long should I look for a speed to be stable before I decide to try the next higher speed?

If I OC the phone and it somehow burns out, will insurance cover it (assuming you just tell them it died by itself, not admitting you OCed it to hell)?

Has anyone heard of that happening?

ok ill try to answer the best i can, so here i go;

Q1-how safe is it?
i have gone over 800MHz and all it does is work for a while and randomly freeze up

Q2-if you try to go too high can you kill your phone?
i dont think it can since it reaches high levels of instability which causes the phone to crash completely

Q3-is it just minor stuff like sudden freezes or reboots?
as far as i have tested it, yes only freezes no reboots though

Q4-Is it safe enough to just try for the maximum speed once, and if you run into issues, get in there and change the settings before anything serious happens?
i recommend goin up one setting at a time which is 19.2MHz each level you lower or scale up

Q5-How long should I look for a speed to be stable before I decide to try the next higher speed?
stick to settings for at least a whole day of normal usage if you get no crashes then you move to the next level,which should include calls that last more then 5min(just example) so you know its fully functional

Q6-If I OC the phone and it somehow burns out, will insurance cover it (assuming you just tell them it died by itself, not admitting you OCed it to hell)
im sure it will, in my case i just go to the nearest sprint store and get new phones right away or wait a couple of days while they mail me a new one, i know that my sprint store will cover so...LET IT BURN ! I WANT MORE POWER!

I hope i helped with the questions you had :mrgreen:

BTW my sprint tp2 is perfectly stable at 768Mhz currently running Mr.X Titanium rom, i never crash or feel the phone getting hot,battery performance has not been affected in a notable way. I'm happy but as soon as i flash a new rom ill try for more speed.

creedo 09-01-2010 12:25 AM

Thanks for taking the time to answer all that :) Based on that I'm gonna give it a shot, let y'all know the results.

bitslizer 09-01-2010 07:30 AM

To boot into android while overclocked,

get the dualboot cab or set a longer time to wait after booting into WinMo before SetCPUSpeed do it things

joeadamo 09-01-2010 01:11 PM

You got my thanks! Thanks for your efforts.

japper88 09-01-2010 01:40 PM

This seems way over complicated.
Another post has alternate directs that I have been using for weeks without problems:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=129661

gono666 09-01-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeadamo (Post 1931587)
You got my thanks! Thanks for your efforts.

Thank you for reading my overly complicated and impossible to follow guide :mrgreen:

creedo 09-01-2010 07:40 PM

I found the guide dead simple and was done in 5 minutes. It wouldn't surprise if "easier guides" just overlook/leave out important stuff like setting it up to boot automatically or making the necessary registry changes.

Thanks again for this guide. I'm at about 20 hours without a hitch. Good stuff.

JokeZony0u 09-01-2010 08:31 PM

haha- recently my phone's been freezing up a buncha times- OC'd at 748. It usually runs fine though...sigh* hope it's not my processor dying on me

gono666 09-01-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creedo (Post 1932130)
I found the guide dead simple and was done in 5 minutes. It wouldn't surprise if "easier guides" just overlook/leave out important stuff like setting it up to boot automatically or making the necessary registry changes.

Thanks again for this guide. I'm at about 20 hours without a hitch. Good stuff.

Thanks for the good feedback

gono666 09-01-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JokeZony0u (Post 1932178)
haha- recently my phone's been freezing up a buncha times- OC'd at 748. It usually runs fine though...sigh* hope it's not my processor dying on me

Random freezes? after calls? when goin to sleep mode? i might be able to help if you provide a little more details on your problems,if you did it through another guide try mine and let me know if it works for you,but if you used my guide and followed each step it might be something wrong with the device or\and rom.

Maxx134 09-02-2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gono666 (Post 1932234)
Random freezes? after calls? when goin to sleep mode? i might be able to help if you provide a little more details on your problems,if you did it through another guide try mine and let me know if it works for you,but if you used my guide and followed each step it might be something wrong with the device or\and rom.

Props to you.
I gave you thanks for having positive influence and helping others here.
Feel free to use my link in my sig for any added info on the overclock.
I see you are using one of three types of overclock solutions.
I liked "Nayr1482" script type solution best overall even though there are others.
For extreme overclock and for underclock, there are also other solutions I posted in link.
Lotsa variables as how much you want to control the processor, and how much you want to load the processor with polling or resource load.
I am going to list, and correct me if I am wrong, the least to most taxing on the Processor:
1-SetCpuSpeed1.0d
2-OC_ Auto_v4.21
3-OCT_V-1.5
It is not by much at all anyway.
With so many variable on each user device it may be impossible to say which solution is right for you,
so I would encourage all users to try all solutions.
My recommendations is:
1-SetCpuSpeed1.0d= for difficult to overclock users.
2-OC_ Auto_v4.21= for most users.
3-OCT_V-1.5= for users that can clock high without much problems, as this app has dynamic clocking.

Goodluck to all.

abednego 09-02-2010 02:23 AM

OP:

Any noticeable differences in CPU temperature or excessive heat?

One of my main gripes from the original TP was how hot the device got under normal wear....

gono666 09-02-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abednego (Post 1932467)
OP:

Any noticeable differences in CPU temperature or excessive heat?

One of my main gripes from the original TP was how hot the device got under normal wear....

i have only noticed the phone getting hot when i play alot with the phone while its plugged to the charger, for example while running slacker radio,having palringo running,and playing warfare inc. at the same time =) but while running on battery i dont see any temp. difference running at 768MHz, i hope this info is useful for you.

neudof 09-02-2010 08:24 AM

I would love to see this stickied, so here are some tips:
  1. You have packaged other peoples work into a zip.
    1. Link to the origional creators thread so the people that made the app can get credit,
    2. Users can have the most up to date app.
    3. Discussion on how to use or problems with each part can be directed to the correct thread rather than trying to discuss multipe different methods in one thread.
  2. There are at least 2 other OC methods. Add information on how to use those as well.
  3. Add the information on how to dual boot to android using the different OC methods.
All the information is out there, if you could pull it all together that would be awesome!
Great start, keep up the good work!

neudof 09-02-2010 08:57 AM

Everyone should be aware that your device is different than mine. Two devices with the exact same ROM, settings, SD Card, apps could max OC at two completely different speeds.

I am able to get to 786 without any issues both on stock and the latest NRG ROM, there are a lucky few that are able to achieve 806

The best advice I can give you is start low, and work your way up :)

If you think you have found your max speed, here is the best test I have found to verify stability...
  1. Open a text message
  2. Flip open your keyboard and start typing,
  3. If you lock up you need to drop the speed a level and try again!

gono666 09-02-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neudof (Post 1932547)
I would love to see this stickied, so here are some tips:
  1. You have packaged other peoples work into a zip.
    1. Link to the origional creators thread so the people that made the app can get credit,
    2. Users can have the most up to date app.
    3. Discussion on how to use or problems with each part can be directed to the correct thread rather than trying to discuss multipe different methods in one thread.
  2. There are at least 2 other OC methods. Add information on how to use those as well.
  3. Add the information on how to dual boot to android using the different OC methods.
All the information is out there, if you could pull it all together that would be awesome!
Great start, keep up the good work!

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, i just downloaded the android Os again i will install it as soon as Mr.X releases the update\fix for his titanium rom,once i flash it i will test the other overclocking methods except for the one using motorscript i thought it could be to hard to do for less experienced users,i also plan on making the full guide with pictures and maybe videos to make it alot easier for everyone,so far the method i described on my guide has been the most stable overclock i have achieved.
Thanks again!

gono666 09-02-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neudof (Post 1932569)
Everyone should be aware that your device is different than mine. Two devices with the exact same ROM, settings, SD Card, apps could max OC at two completely different speeds.

I am able to get to 786 without any issues both on stock and the latest NRG ROM, there are a lucky few that are able to achieve 806

The best advice I can give you is start low, and work your way up :)

If you think you have found your max speed, here is the best test I have found to verify stability...
  1. Open a text message
  2. Flip open your keyboard and start typing,
  3. If you lock up you need to drop the speed a level and try again!

I will make sure that on next update of my guide i post your method of testing the stability of the overclock,do you know any other ways to trigger instability that i can use during my testing?