PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 04:08 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell Canada

ladyofthemist is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can I use an Unlocked HTC Touch Pro 2 on Bell?

Hi

I am in need of some help/clarification. I have had my phone stolen and so I am reviewing my options. I used to have an HTC Touch with Bell and i loved my phone but i hated that it didn't have a QWERTY keyboard other then on screen.

I have been looking on Ebay for a HTC Touch and found i could get a TP2 and this got me thinking. Can I get a Bell Sim card and use it in an unlocked TP2? So far i have been reading that Bell doesn't have a GSM network which is what the TP2 uses but i know Bell just changed networks so i don't know if the new one would ally me to do this or not.

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me. If this doesn't work i will just get a Touch again (found one on Ebay).

Lady
Old 07-30-2010, 06:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Telus

cosmok is a n00b
Re: Can I use an Unlocked HTC Touch Pro 2 on Bell?

If you are in Manatoba or Saskatchewan the HSPA networks aren't active yet, you can view their coverage map here http://support.bell.ca/en-on/Mobilit...rage_in_Canada

Last edited by cosmok; 07-30-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:15 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofthemist View Post
Hi

i could get a TP2 and this got me thinking. Can I get a Bell Sim card and use it in an unlocked TP2? So far i have been reading that Bell doesn't have a GSM network which is what the TP2 uses but i know Bell just changed networks so i don't know if the new one would ally me to do this or not.
the TP2 does not only use GSM.. theres 5, yes 5, models for the TP2 - and even all 5 are both worldphones, meaning CDMA/GSM capable

2 CDMA - Verizon and Sprint
3 GSM - AT&T(called Tilt II), T-Mobiles, and HTCs unbranded unlocked device

if Bell uses CDMA, then get a cdma variant of the TP2 either Sprint or VZWs.. if Bell use GSM, but one of the other models...

no need probably to play around with SIm unlock and SIM cards..
Old 07-30-2010, 07:23 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
the TP2 does not only use GSM.. theres 5, yes 5, models for the TP2 - and even all 5 are both worldphones, meaning CDMA/GSM capable

2 CDMA - Verizon and Sprint
3 GSM - AT&T(called Tilt II), T-Mobiles, and HTCs unbranded unlocked device

if Bell uses CDMA, then get a cdma variant of the TP2 either Sprint or VZWs.. if Bell use GSM, but one of the other models...

no need probably to play around with SIm unlock and SIM cards..
got the wrong info there bored.
the at&t and t-mobile tp2's are gsm only
the verizon, sprint, uscc, telus (and a couple other obscure carriers) tp2's are cdma and gsm

if bell uses gsm, then any of them will work.

Last edited by razorloves; 07-30-2010 at 07:27 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorloves View Post
got the wrong info there bored.
the at&t and t-mobile tp2's are gsm only
the verizon, sprint, uscc, telus (and a couple other obscure carriers) tp2's are cdma and gsm

if bell uses gsm, then any of them will work.
gotcha and thank you for the correction
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: TELUS

verkion is becoming a great contributor

Couple things...only the CDMA versions will work IF you can have the pESN added or somehow modify the phone's (which is not a topic we can discuss here anyways). Bell's HSPA+ network is HSPA only...not backward compatibility with 3G/Edge/GSM and I don't think the TP2 has HSPA capability.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:51 AM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

I am overseas and Sprint TP2 shows both H and 3G where I am at. I would love to get some decent speed with it in CA as well...
Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Also, will Bell accept a foreign ESN on to their network? Might be worth asking before you buy a new device.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Telus

spikey is a n00b

The only version that will work is the HTC Tilt 2 (AT&T).

They don't allow foreign CDMA ESN's onto the network no do they have a GSM network so you need one that has WCDMA/HSPA/UMTS 850/1900.

T-Mobile's would be WCDMA/HSPA/UMTS 1700/2100 so the phone would not pick up any service.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2