PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Can I use an Unlocked HTC Touch Pro 2 on Bell? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=130135)

ladyofthemist 07-29-2010 04:08 PM

Can I use an Unlocked HTC Touch Pro 2 on Bell?

Hi

I am in need of some help/clarification. I have had my phone stolen and so I am reviewing my options. I used to have an HTC Touch with Bell and i loved my phone but i hated that it didn't have a QWERTY keyboard other then on screen.

I have been looking on Ebay for a HTC Touch and found i could get a TP2 and this got me thinking. Can I get a Bell Sim card and use it in an unlocked TP2? So far i have been reading that Bell doesn't have a GSM network which is what the TP2 uses but i know Bell just changed networks so i don't know if the new one would ally me to do this or not.

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me. If this doesn't work i will just get a Touch again (found one on Ebay).

Lady

cosmok 07-30-2010 06:46 PM

Re: Can I use an Unlocked HTC Touch Pro 2 on Bell?

If you are in Manatoba or Saskatchewan the HSPA networks aren't active yet, you can view their coverage map here http://support.bell.ca/en-on/Mobilit...rage_in_Canada

boredandtattooed 07-30-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofthemist (Post 1888642)
Hi

i could get a TP2 and this got me thinking. Can I get a Bell Sim card and use it in an unlocked TP2? So far i have been reading that Bell doesn't have a GSM network which is what the TP2 uses but i know Bell just changed networks so i don't know if the new one would ally me to do this or not.

the TP2 does not only use GSM.. theres 5, yes 5, models for the TP2 - and even all 5 are both worldphones, meaning CDMA/GSM capable

2 CDMA - Verizon and Sprint
3 GSM - AT&T(called Tilt II), T-Mobiles, and HTCs unbranded unlocked device

if Bell uses CDMA, then get a cdma variant of the TP2 either Sprint or VZWs.. if Bell use GSM, but one of the other models...

no need probably to play around with SIm unlock and SIM cards..

razorloves 07-30-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1890601)
the TP2 does not only use GSM.. theres 5, yes 5, models for the TP2 - and even all 5 are both worldphones, meaning CDMA/GSM capable

2 CDMA - Verizon and Sprint
3 GSM - AT&T(called Tilt II), T-Mobiles, and HTCs unbranded unlocked device

if Bell uses CDMA, then get a cdma variant of the TP2 either Sprint or VZWs.. if Bell use GSM, but one of the other models...

no need probably to play around with SIm unlock and SIM cards..

got the wrong info there bored.
the at&t and t-mobile tp2's are gsm only
the verizon, sprint, uscc, telus (and a couple other obscure carriers) tp2's are cdma and gsm

if bell uses gsm, then any of them will work.

boredandtattooed 07-30-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorloves (Post 1890627)
got the wrong info there bored.
the at&t and t-mobile tp2's are gsm only
the verizon, sprint, uscc, telus (and a couple other obscure carriers) tp2's are cdma and gsm

if bell uses gsm, then any of them will work.

gotcha and thank you for the correction

verkion 07-30-2010 07:54 PM

Couple things...only the CDMA versions will work IF you can have the pESN added or somehow modify the phone's (which is not a topic we can discuss here anyways). Bell's HSPA+ network is HSPA only...not backward compatibility with 3G/Edge/GSM and I don't think the TP2 has HSPA capability.

HBOOT 07-31-2010 06:51 AM

I am overseas and Sprint TP2 shows both H and 3G where I am at. I would love to get some decent speed with it in CA as well...

demonlordoftheround 07-31-2010 07:31 AM

Also, will Bell accept a foreign ESN on to their network? Might be worth asking before you buy a new device.

spikey 07-31-2010 09:36 PM

The only version that will work is the HTC Tilt 2 (AT&T).

They don't allow foreign CDMA ESN's onto the network no do they have a GSM network so you need one that has WCDMA/HSPA/UMTS 850/1900.

T-Mobile's would be WCDMA/HSPA/UMTS 1700/2100 so the phone would not pick up any service.