PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Strong Points of the TP2 [over Android] (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=126376)

bobbyblack 06-23-2010 08:57 PM

Strong Points of the TP2 [over Android]

1. So many ROMs to select from, some great and some good.

2. Three Letters... *CHT* Need I say more?

3. The updates and constant changings.

4. Damn near every App. on Droid you can get on windows.

5. Maxsense, a growning U.I. that is the SHIZZ-NIT.

6. All the people that help, the community.

7. All the different CABS. and ZIPS; Themes (different colors) and customs.

8. CHEF's: ERG, VINN, Mr.X (still using some of his app. in all the different ROM's I flash) and Mighty.

9. Then your SATODS and BignAdad (I call him BIGGS)

10. I think the TP2 (HD2) has more fans.

So on that note; I'll wait to get a DROID phone as long as they have the TOP TEN, MY TP2 IS A TEN, Till they come out with something that has all the above.:toothy7:

Please tell me what you think.

P.S. I'm still a noob... LMAO

Wesley762 06-23-2010 09:00 PM

Re: ***ten reasons why my tp2 is better than a droid phone***

Nice lol, and Haters STAY OUT.

deadwrong03 06-23-2010 09:02 PM

i havent seen a playstation network app on winmo yet thats what im waitin on

they also have a private chat app where they can password lock their text messages, where u can give some one a fake password and it will unlock the phone but unlock t to pictures or something not text related...

2 good apps i havent seen on winmo...but otherwise i agree...winmo >>>>> droid

mbritt80 06-23-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadwrong03 (Post 1833476)

they also have a private chat app where they can password lock their text messages, where u can give some one a fake password and it will unlock the phone but unlock t to pictures or something not text related...

Just saw that password thing today with a friend at work, he had some rounchy sh!t on it

Wesley762 06-23-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadwrong03 (Post 1833476)

If you want Private Text Messages theres a App for that..........

And its FREE

Thanks to bdurst08 for the link.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ight=smsfilter

variance 06-23-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyblack (Post 1833461)

8. CHEF's: ERG, VINN, Mr.X (still using some of his app. in all the different ROM's I flash) and Mighty.

So on that note; I'll wait to get a DROID phone as long as they have the TOP TEN, MY TP2 IS A TEN, Till they come out with something that has all the above.:toothy7:

Maybe you can help me out here.
I'm confused.
how can my TP2 be better than a droid phone when it is very much a droid phone half the time.
I'm afraid it has a bit of a multiple personality syndrome. alot of self-loathing there I think.

Wesley762 06-23-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by variance (Post 1833493)
I'm confused. how can my TP2 be better than a droid phone when it is a droid phone half the time.

Very Cleaver ;p and just another reason why the TP2 Rocks.

pimpsuprazx 06-23-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

I'm confused.
how can my TP2 be better than a droid phone when it is very much a droid phone half the time.
I'm afraid it has a bit of a multiple personality syndrome. alot of self-loathing there I think.

versatility at its best

bobbyblack 06-23-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

I'm confused.

I couldn't agree more!:king:

chong67 06-23-2010 11:25 PM

WM got more WAREZ than Android. I got 3 GPS program on my TP2.

JokeZony0u 06-23-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chong67 (Post 1833784)

Lol, did you just openly admit pirating software? That's not right...

YnYng 06-24-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

hahaha i dunno if you should be saying that outloud buddy...

muyoso 06-24-2010 01:10 AM

This is a ridiculous list. A majority of your things have nothing to do with the phone, but rather the developers. There are a ton of things that "Droid" phones can do that the TP2 cant.

Unified speech to text in EVERY text field
Shoot 720P video
HDMI out 720P video
Wireless N
Flash

Thats just to name a few and isn't even beginning to bridge the field of APPS, which Android puts a hurting on windows mobile with. Also, Android looks a lot nicer overall than windows mobile does, and is certainly more finger friendly. It is updated with real world improvements every few months, instead of basically no updates to windows mobile for the last couple years, unless you are REALLY counting finger friendly menus and hexagon start menu from 6.5.

The Tp2 is a great phone that is hindered by an OS that was great YEARS ago and hasn't stayed current or evolved at all. "Droid" phones have pretty much everything on your list, multiple roms, multiple amazing developers, certainly more apps that are useable and functional than windows mobile, etc, etc.

No need to crap on what is probably the best mobile OS out right now just because windows mobile is dying. Its a great OS, and hopefully it will be ported to our TP2's so those of us who are cheap and haven't already abandoned this platform because we are on SERO can get some of that delicious droid love too.

Edit: Seriously, to the Android haters out there, load up even the buggy AOSP build on your TP2 and you will be amazed even during the startup tutorial at how stupidly smart the OS is. The tiniest things like auto capitalizing the first letter of each "word" in a Name field of text. Those things are impressive.

QMeli907 06-24-2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

No need for 3 GPS on Android. Free Google Maps/Navigation.

To the OP, that is a good list. Well put together.

I loved my TP2, but now have Incredible. Not gunna hate in this thread, so good luck to all TP2 users. Cheers :D

Dr.8820 06-24-2010 02:08 AM

Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Opera/9.70 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) TMO-US_LEO)

I agree with what was mostly said by the op, but i'm still gonna get a bag of popcorn for this one!

nrfitchett4 06-24-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muyoso (Post 1833965)
This is a ridiculous list. A majority of your things have nothing to do with the phone, but rather the developers. There are a ton of things that "Droid" phones can do that the TP2 cant.

Unified speech to text in EVERY text field
Shoot 720P video
HDMI out 720P video
Wireless N
Flash

Thats just to name a few and isn't even beginning to bridge the field of APPS, which Android puts a hurting on windows mobile with. Also, Android looks a lot nicer overall than windows mobile does, and is certainly more finger friendly. It is updated with real world improvements every few months, instead of basically no updates to windows mobile for the last couple years, unless you are REALLY counting finger friendly menus and hexagon start menu from 6.5.

The Tp2 is a great phone that is hindered by an OS that was great YEARS ago and hasn't stayed current or evolved at all. "Droid" phones have pretty much everything on your list, multiple roms, multiple amazing developers, certainly more apps that are useable and functional than windows mobile, etc, etc.

No need to crap on what is probably the best mobile OS out right now just because windows mobile is dying. Its a great OS, and hopefully it will be ported to our TP2's so those of us who are cheap and haven't already abandoned this platform because we are on SERO can get some of that delicious droid love too.

Edit: Seriously, to the Android haters out there, load up even the buggy AOSP build on your TP2 and you will be amazed even during the startup tutorial at how stupidly smart the OS is. The tiniest things like auto capitalizing the first letter of each "word" in a Name field of text. Those things are impressive.

here we go again....
seriously, give me 2 weeks with an HD2 and it will do laps around any android device.

InvincibleLiving 06-24-2010 02:39 AM

So far I've yet to see an Android device running any version of winmo or even windows CE... meanwhile we have devices like the Vogue which is three almost four GENERATIONS past it's lifecycle running eclair....that's gotta count for something right?

Because of this alone and the further potential it holds for the future, winmo wins in my book.

Flame away, I'm fireproof.

redd214 06-24-2010 02:49 AM

Quote:

wow where to start lol. ive still got plenty of love for my tp2 (actually typing on it now) but your list my friend, honestly its not very well thought out to say the least.

lets review it:

1. Roms: android has roms (probably not as many though, but honestly the quality seems to be waning with each new "chef" in the upgrade forum. no offense to anyone)

2. CHT' well android will never have cht obviously but with widgets on android you can accomplish EVERYTHING cht does and more

3. Updates/changes: not sure what u mean here. if you mean updates/changes to software well its the same on android, programs get updated. if you mean all of the random builds of winmo that leak out, well android has new builds coming out as well
4. no explanation needed

5. just like cht, unless max gets an android phone, maxsense will never be on android however with widgets you can do EVERYTHING maxsense does on android

6. android has a large/helpful community just like this one

7. well android uses apks but its virtually the same thing. android has downloadable themes just like winmo so this entire point is really a wash

8. while i havent flashed my incredible (no need to really, oh and its for sale btw ;) ) there are many talented chefs for most popular android phones just like winmo. you may not know them by name but theyre just as talented and skilled as the guys you mentioned

9. no clue what u mean here. perhaps you are refering to the mods santod and bignand make. well there are plenty of people who are making similar mods as theirs with android also im sure

10. so you are waiting to get a droid phone till it has more fans??? huh? dont really understand this one either but android has a remarkable following and its growing by leaps and bounds.

well there you go bobbyblack. so which android phone are you gonna get....?

nrfitchett4 06-24-2010 02:54 AM

sorry redd, but the android custom ROMs are way behind WinMo in functionality. Even calk seems to be having some problems. New OS, takes time to learn and android isn't there yet.

redd214 06-24-2010 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 (Post 1834048)
sorry redd, but the android custom ROMs are way behind WinMo in functionality. Even calk seems to be having some problems. New OS, takes time to learn and android isn't there yet.

lol what?! which funtionality is missing from the android roms? just becuase calk is having issues doesnt mean the os is the problem. like you said, its a new os for HIM and he has to learn it.

nrfitchett4 06-24-2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redd214 (Post 1834055)
lol what?! which funtionality is missing from the android roms? just becuase calk is having issues doesnt mean the os is the problem. like you said, its a new os for HIM and he has to learn it.

Just head over to the android sections for the Moment or Evo and look at the custom ROM threads.

redd214 06-24-2010 03:07 AM

specifically what functions are you saying are not there? im not gonna comb thru posts to look for stuff thats missing. if its not too much trouble for you perhaps you could point out some examples for me. im aware of things such as no bt dialing, limited exchange support, and little issues such as those but out side of that what ru referring to?

[sammich] 06-24-2010 03:33 AM

Thread moved to the Phone Comparison forum.

InvincibleLiving 06-24-2010 03:55 AM

Redd... I'm bout to drive to Chantilly and thump you in the head... nothing to do with Winmo or Android or this thread for that matter, just pissed you jumped ship lol. Still good to see you in the TP2 forums... that is until Sauman just relegated us all to Off Topic obscurity.

redd214 06-24-2010 04:28 AM

^^lol, ur a nut man! yeah my tp2 is my baby, will take a lot for me to get rid of it but its not the king of the hill anymore. still flash it probably 3 or 4 times a week. just checkin out new stuff, come to the dark side you will love it haha!!

InvincibleLiving 06-24-2010 05:40 AM

Tell you what... you blow up the black card in your avatar and I'll gladly give in to the dark side, compliments of Redd214 lol

bignadad 06-24-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the Props.... I Agree! :razz:

bobbyblack 06-25-2010 04:51 PM

Since they moved my post... No one come here to read it, WOW!

bignadad 06-25-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyblack (Post 1837777)
Since they moved my post... No one come here to read it, WOW!

yeah, i happened to find it on a search :)

[sammich] 06-25-2010 09:57 PM

Re: Strong Points of the TP2 [over Android]

After a request and further review, the title has been adjusted and the thread moved back to the TP2 forum. :D

muyoso 06-25-2010 10:29 PM

Let me just state some things I like about Android that the TP2 will never do with Windows Mobile:

1. Centralized app store with 65,000 applications, most of which are free.
2. All app updates happen through a centralized app store, and you update with 2 screen presses.
3. Voice to text in EVERY search field in ANY application
4. The on screen keyboard takes control in text fields, allowing you to tap "Next" at the lower right to skip to the next text field and "Done" after you have reached the last. This is better than having to tap the screen hiding the keyboard, scroll down, tap the next text field which brings up the keyboard again.
5. Google search integrated searches the web, your files on the phone and your programs for ridiculously easy access.
6. Full Flash implementation which will NEVER come to Windows Mobile.
7. Entire OS actually utilizes the back button, including applications. Have never had to use the back button in windows mobile, and when I have used it, it never did anything predictable.
8. The OS is designed completely to be used with fingers and not a stylus. No tiny OK buttons or menus to deal with. Windows Mobile has never rid itself of these completely.
9. Keyboard auto capitalizes first letter of each word when in a name field.

These are just some of what I have noticed running the latest build of android on my TP2. I have spent about 2 hrs in the OS total. This list, unlike the OP's list, is valid and is actually based on things Windows Mobile either cannot do or does not do anywhere near as well. I could go into how nobody released apps on windows mobile anymore and how android is the only real competition to the iPhone in that regard, but I didn't put that in the list because its not actually a feature of the OS itself.

PS - The very point that these threads are being made is proof that Android is a more modern and "better" OS. No one who owns a Mercedes goes onto a car forum and gives a 10 point list why their car is better than a Toyota, while the opposite happens quite often.

pimpsuprazx 06-25-2010 10:53 PM

the day you might see me with a droid is when they make a hybrid phone like winmo and blackberry have, meaning CDMA and GSM, and the battery life gets better

Adrianh85 06-25-2010 11:22 PM

Wirelessly posted (AdrianH85(Droid I or EVO): Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I love winking (that's where I started) but remember Android is less then 2years old and has almost surpassed winmo in features and stability! I was never a big fan of 6.5 (hence I made blackout Rom) sooner Android will pull most of the top winmo chefs and mode (Already got Mighty Mike ) I'm not a great chef (just a great idea, good help and a pretty good release) but soon all the wonderful mods we have grown to love with winking will make there way to Android (cuz the future doesn't look to bright for win mo 7 unless u like closed source devices and OS like the iPhone)

This was typed using my evo on 4g los!!

Amamba 06-25-2010 11:33 PM

I got TP2 because it had stylus, a huge k/b, decent (comparatuively) battery life, and I could use my collection of WinMo software, much of which I use for work and it's not yet available on Android.

In 2 years, I am 90% sure my next phone will be Android based.

bastian74 06-26-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

You must get lost all the time, in a spectacular fashion.

gTen 06-26-2010 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpsuprazx (Post 1838317)
the day you might see me with a droid is when they make a hybrid phone like winmo and blackberry have, meaning CDMA and GSM, and the battery life gets better

Well there is a rumor that the Samsung Galaxy S Pro is Wimax/CDMA/GSM and it is android >.>

TP2 has its advantages and disadvantages..In the end run we will all most likely go Android...while there is some hope for WP7 so far it is not looking well..but who knows..

I mean what killed winmo was M$ being dumb and telling ppl early that there will be no app backwards compatibility...

The TP2 is a good phone yes..but we are entering a new era where phones are much more powerful then what they used to be..that by not switching we will loose out..

nrfitchett4 06-26-2010 03:31 AM

Not jumping to android anytime in the near future.
Just got me and the wifey a couple of hd2's!!!
I think I can get by for quite awhile on 1ghz and all that memory. Still setting it up and it's not even activated yet, but man this phone is cool! I'll probably start cooking Roms for it next week, since I like 6.5.x better than 6.5, but so far it is very nice right out of the box.

crazed_z06 06-26-2010 04:20 AM

Quote:

I actually see a lot of your list as negative aspects of the TP2.

I wish I could have a phone that just works. Yea, being able to sustomize stuff is nice, but I get so tired of spending hours at a time digging through forum posts and finding obscure cab files to change basic settings.

jnuts5423 06-26-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

i couldnt agree more myself. im saddened by the new specs of wp7. there goin droid like. from what i know, (and i dont own a droid, so correct me if im wrong) you cant install apps from a storage card. thats a huge thumbs down for me. i can take my sd card and pop it into any wm phone and go to work. or i can email cabs, save them, and then install them. no dioing that with a drroid. and i havent seen any different stlye UI's yet. they all look the same. and the task killer option is a joke. why wouldnt they put a task manager into the device. seems like a no-brainer to me. i got to download something to close my apps.
with saying that, the processor is smokin. camera is phenominal. hd video comin in the droid x is very hot. and its got a tv out option for your recorded videos. sorry no other option can be viewed. no youtube on the tv. but still. i can see both sidees. but im stickin with my pro. the 3.2 mp camera is fine for me. the half size processor does the trick for me. and ill keep my pop up keyboard. thats my two sense. get it sense. LMAO!

ModmyPPC 06-26-2010 09:32 AM

Forgot to mention SERO!!!!!!

1000 mins
Free nights and weekends
Unlimited data
Unlimited text and picture mail

for 30$

Unless Android can find an app to give me my money back! It can sing and dance for all I care.

Ill be sticking to the TP2!