PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 09:04 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: about to buy an HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sun cellular

marvdmartian is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm looking into buying a Touch Pro2, but i have some questions.

Hi guys. I'm new here and this is my first post..

I'm looking into buying a new HTC Touch Pro 2. After reading its reviews, i seem to like it.. But now I have a lot of questions in mind..

So here they are:

1. I've read that there are 2 kinds of the Touch Pro 2?.. The GSM one and the CDMA one if i'm not mistaken? What's the difference between the two? and which one should I get?.. I'm from the Philippines by the way.

2. I might get one off ebay, so usually they are T-Mobile, Sprint, etc. versions. What makes these carrier versions different from the normal HTC one? are they GSM or CDMA? and there's no difference in terms of hardware if i'm not mistaken, just the software right? Am I right that they do not have a front camera?

3. If I get a T-Mobile or Sprint version, can i flash another ROM? I don't to use a carrier ROM. I like the one i see on the reviews on the net. Which one is that?

4. If I get a T-Mobile or Sprint version, do I have to do some unlocking to be able to use my sim card?

5. I know normally it comes with Windows Mobile 6.1. And i know it could be upgraded to 6.5. Would you guys recommend it? Is there an official HTC rom for WM6.5? and does WM6.5 still have TouchFLO3D?

6. Is there a certain version of the Touch Pro 2 I should avoid? something to do with the radio band? I'm afraid it might not work with our cellular networks here, or I may not be able to use it at all.

7. I've read that there are some TP2s that have a 3.5mm earphone jack, and I want one of those. I've read that the Sprint version has it. But then I've also read somewhere that the Sprint version needs some special method of unlocking to be able to use other sims?

I hope these things get cleared up in my head. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HP6945~Mogul~TP~TP2~EVO
Carrier: Sprint - RIP Sero Plan \ Current: BP F&F

demolasko is keeping up the good workdemolasko is keeping up the good workdemolasko is keeping up the good work
Re: I'm looking into buying a Touch Pro2, but i have some questions.

1. I've read that there are 2 kinds of the Touch Pro 2?.. The GSM one and the CDMA one if i'm not mistaken? What's the difference between the two? and which one should I get?.. I'm from the Philippines by the way.

This would depend on which signal you carrier is running. you will need to call them and see what they are running and the frenquency.

2. I might get one off ebay, so usually they are T-Mobile, Sprint, etc. versions. What makes these carrier versions different from the normal HTC one? are they GSM or CDMA? and there's no difference in terms of hardware if i'm not mistaken, just the software right? Am I right that they do not have a front camera?

no front camera its on the back of the phone

3. If I get a T-Mobile or Sprint version, can i flash another ROM? I don't to use a carrier ROM. I like the one i see on the reviews on the net. Which one is that?

Please see http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93252 for CDMA unlocking and then http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=95375 for flashing the rom. ROMS can be found here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98 .. remember this is CDMA only for all of these links

4. If I get a T-Mobile or Sprint version, do I have to do some unlocking to be able to use my sim card?

use this site http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98 for CDMA phones and this site http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=490 for GSM phones

5. I know normally it comes with Windows Mobile 6.1. And i know it could be upgraded to 6.5. Would you guys recommend it? Is there an official HTC rom for WM6.5? and does WM6.5 still have TouchFLO3D?

Yes u can upgrade just pick your rom version that you want to flash to from one of the sites.

6. Is there a certain version of the Touch Pro 2 I should avoid? something to do with the radio band? I'm afraid it might not work with our cellular networks here, or I may not be able to use it at all.

Yes ... CDMA and GSM are 2 different bands (2 different phones) .. with in those signals they also run off different frenquencys call your carrier to see what they run off of.

7. I've read that there are some TP2s that have a 3.5mm earphone jack, and I want one of those. I've read that the Sprint version has it. But then I've also read somewhere that the Sprint version needs some special method of unlocking to be able to use other sims?

Yes the sprint one does have this hook up. all unlocking info is in the links i provided. just make sure you get the correct phone for your service.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:24 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

marvdmartian is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolasko View Post

This would depend on which signal you carrier is running. you will need to call them and see what they are running and the frenquency.

Please see http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93252 for CDMA unlocking and then http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=95375 for flashing the rom. ROMS can be found here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98 .. remember this is CDMA only for all of these links

use this site http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98 for CDMA phones and this site http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=490 for GSM phones

Yes u can upgrade just pick your rom version that you want to flash to from one of the sites.

Yes ... CDMA and GSM are 2 different bands (2 different phones) .. with in those signals they also run off different frenquencys call your carrier to see what they run off of.

Yes the sprint one does have this hook up. all unlocking info is in the links i provided. just make sure you get the correct phone for your service.

thanks for the reply.

i believe my carrier uses GSM because I use a sim card. Does this mean i should not get the CDMA version?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G and HTC Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

boeman is becoming a great contributor

The Sprint TP2 is a world phone. It does have a GSM sim as well. If you buy the Sprint phone, you need to make sure you only put CDMA ROMS on it. The links above should also tell you how to use the phone in GSM only.

The Tmobile or AT&T versions are GSM phones. GSM roms are found over at http://www.xda-developers.com/. You need to make sure you only put GSM roms on a GSM version of the phone.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

marvdmartian is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeman View Post
The Sprint TP2 is a world phone. It does have a GSM sim as well. If you buy the Sprint phone, you need to make sure you only put CDMA ROMS on it. The links above should also tell you how to use the phone in GSM only.

The Tmobile or AT&T versions are GSM phones. GSM roms are found over at http://www.xda-developers.com/. You need to make sure you only put GSM roms on a GSM version of the phone.
so, whichever version of the TP2 i get, I would be able to get it working here with the correct unlocking and ROMs?

and lets say I get a Sprint version. When i get it, what should i do first, and what next? Theres the sim unlock thing, and that hardspl thing i really dont understand..

sorry for my newbieness.. my last WM phone was an XDA mini S.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:51 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

OP...basically, the the way you can tell the difference between a CDMA & GSM is that, like previous answers said, GSM uses SIM card. case in point....your carrier sun cellular uses a SIM so it's a GSM network. bayantel span (which i don't know for the life of me why they call a wireless landline) runs on a CDMA network. but don't go running buying a Sprint or Verizon tp2 thinking that you can take it to bayantel and have the ESN flashed over on their network. they're not gonna do it. i've asked already.

if i were you pare...just get the GSM TP2 since Philippines is dominantly GSM. but if you're really gonna spend all that $$$ on a tp2...why not just get the HD2 from t-mo without the contract? it costs the same as a brand new tp2...but a newer model.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:57 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvdmartian View Post
so, whichever version of the TP2 i get, I would be able to get it working here with the correct unlocking and ROMs?

and lets say I get a Sprint version. When i get it, what should i do first, and what next? Theres the sim unlock thing, and that hardspl thing i really dont understand..

sorry for my newbieness.. my last WM phone was an XDA mini S.
like i said...just get the GSM version of the TP2. but if you do decide to get the CDMA version...the sim device already comes unlock for international use so you don't have to do anything to use it. but as far as using cooked roms, you would need to hardspl unlock your phone. hardspl pretty much just unlocks your device's radio so you can use an un-official rom on it. you can get the answer on how to do that on the reply to your no. 3 question. but do be aware of what you're doing when flashing to another rom. if you mess up, you'll have a very expensive and shiny new brick and/or paperweight. oh and unlocking your device's radio and flashing to a custom rom voids the warranty of the device.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:24 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

marvdmartian is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojary View Post
OP...basically, the the way you can tell the difference between a CDMA & GSM is that, like previous answers said, GSM uses SIM card. case in point....your carrier sun cellular uses a SIM so it's a GSM network. bayantel span (which i don't know for the life of me why they call a wireless landline) runs on a CDMA network. but don't go running buying a Sprint or Verizon tp2 thinking that you can take it to bayantel and have the ESN flashed over on their network. they're not gonna do it. i've asked already.

if i were you pare...just get the GSM TP2 since Philippines is dominantly GSM. but if you're really gonna spend all that $$$ on a tp2...why not just get the HD2 from t-mo without the contract? it costs the same as a brand new tp2...but a newer model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojary View Post
like i said...just get the GSM version of the TP2. but if you do decide to get the CDMA version...the sim device already comes unlock for international use so you don't have to do anything to use it. but as far as using cooked roms, you would need to hardspl unlock your phone. hardspl pretty much just unlocks your device's radio so you can use an un-official rom on it. you can get the answer on how to do that on the reply to your no. 3 question. but do be aware of what you're doing when flashing to another rom. if you mess up, you'll have a very expensive and shiny new brick and/or paperweight. oh and unlocking your device's radio and flashing to a custom rom voids the warranty of the device.

hello mojary

i plan to buy one on ebay kasi, and the ones i find are usually CDMA ones. and usually the ones there are from sprint, or t-mobile.. and i want to get the sprint version because of the 3.5mm earphone jack. but the sprint one is CDMA, right?
So if i get a CDMA one, theres no need to unlock anything? I just simply insert the sim card?
What if I want to flash to the latest HTC official (non-operator) ROM, do i need to hard spl?

And may I know the advantages and disadvantages if i get a GSM or CDMA one? Why do you recommend I get the GSM one?..

The HD2? I want a real QWERTY keyboard.

thanks for the replies.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:48 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, HTC HD2
Carrier: Etisalat

cmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIP
Talking Re: I'm looking into buying a Touch Pro2, but i have some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolasko View Post

Hey, if he's not going to thank you for composing this post, I will. Nice answers.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:54 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvdmartian View Post
hello mojary

i plan to buy one on ebay kasi, and the ones i find are usually CDMA ones. and usually the ones there are from sprint, or t-mobile.. and i want to get the sprint version because of the 3.5mm earphone jack. but the sprint one is CDMA, right?
So if i get a CDMA one, theres no need to unlock anything? I just simply insert the sim card?
What if I want to flash to the latest HTC official (non-operator) ROM, do i need to hard spl?

And may I know the advantages and disadvantages if i get a GSM or CDMA one? Why do you recommend I get the GSM one?..

The HD2? I want a real QWERTY keyboard.

thanks for the replies.
sprint is CDMA. ok...if you're after the 3mm jack, best bet mo is sprint. yung mga GSM does not come with that feature. and yes, it already comes sim unlocked for international use. so ilagay mo lang sim mo and you're all good to go. for data, if sun offers data, you'll need to get the settings from them. but i dont know if sun runs on a 3g network. you may only end up running with gprs on data even if you have a 3g network.

if want to run custom roms, you'll need to do a hardspl unlock. you can find out about it here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93867 - if you get the sprint tp2, make sure get the unlocker for CDMA.

i recommended you get the GSM because like i stated, philippines dominantly use GSM. but you can't go wrong with the headphone jack on the cdma version though. the difference between the two networks doesn't really matter there in the philippines...because almost all cell phone devices run only on GSM. but here in the states, the differences is the technology.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2