PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511
Re: Is anyone going to get the new HTC EVO

wrong form dude... im sick of these threads. not to pick on you OP because lots of people post stuff like this.... there is a evo forum, there is a carrier forum, there is an off topic forum there are places to post things. JUST BECAUSE YOU OWN A TOUCH PRO 2 DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT ANYTHING CAN BE POSTED IN THE TP2 FORUM

im not trying to be a jerk the last thing i want is for people to hate me but its really annoying when people post in the wrong forum or post things already posted

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

rigo is keeping up the good workrigo is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarflarex View Post
Thats definately an opinion... Android is basically just another app device isn't it? I understand it runs on a linux kernel, but I think you are pretty much stuck with whatever amateurs decide to code for google. (do they have an apple like toolset with limited function?)

With wm7 there will be a ton of professional developers along with the rest of the coding communities that are long established that will make great games and programs (not apps) for the device.

There is alot of speculation about wm7 and compatibility with older os, if its going to be a cut down os like iPhone and android, but I think when it all pans out we are going to have a better device than both droid and iphone, and I can't wait to play some xboxlive stuff while commuting etc...

wm phones have always been way more functional with many more choices than any other phone, and I dont see that changing any time soon. Try dual booting your android device.. maybe its possible. I haven't looked at the droid forums to see if their devices can run wm... but you can do it the other way.

It is also more likely that the development community will code wm for android vs the other way around in the future.. but my speculation on this one could be way out in left field.

Google is "the man" anyway and you have the gestapo of apple not very "choice" if you ask me....
well if you ask me... why would i want to play some xbox stuff on my iwinmo phone? the day suckosoft introduced the iwindows phone i was like.. i better load android in to my touch pro dos and start to get use to it.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

rigo is keeping up the good workrigo is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidetkin511 View Post
wrong form dude... im sick of these threads. not to pick on you OP because lots of people post stuff like this.... there is a evo forum, there is a carrier forum, there is an off topic forum there are places to post things. JUST BECAUSE YOU OWN A TOUCH PRO 2 DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT ANYTHING CAN BE POSTED IN THE TP2 FORUM

im not trying to be a jerk the last thing i want is for people to hate me but its really annoying when people post in the wrong forum or post things already posted
i havent seen any other post asking if i was going to get the evo.
i have a solution to your jerkness just dont comment lol jk
Old 05-14-2010, 03:05 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Quote:
no way the first 5" 4g win7 ppc i'll get... for sure. EVO is nice, but droid is pretty much as proprietary as iPhone. I'd rather just dual boot with ppc. maybe a win7/droid/wm6 dual boot setup in my future? that would rewl.
Quote:
Thats definately an opinion... Android is basically just another app device isn't it? I understand it runs on a linux kernel, but I think you are pretty much stuck with whatever amateurs decide to code for google. (do they have an apple like toolset with limited function?)

With wm7 there will be a ton of professional developers along with the rest of the coding communities that are long established that will make great games and programs (not apps) for the device.

It is also more likely that the development community will code wm for android vs the other way around in the future.. but my speculation on this one could be way out in left field.

Google is "the man" anyway and you have the gestapo of apple not very "choice" if you ask me....
Dude, I'm sorry, but it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. iPhone is proprietary hardware because of its stupid Apple port, while Android phones have a standard micro USB, and the EVO has a standard micro HDMI. Nothing proprietary about that. I like that I can use cables that I already have laying around...and they're cheap to buy more.

Also, about the app development, Android has an OPEN market. Anyone can code for it. That means amateurs and professionals alike. I've seen tons of professional applications on the Android platform and they're fantastic. So are the amateurs' ones as well. Even if it's not on the market, you can manually install .apk files anyway, so it doesn't matter. Sure beats what MS has going on right now (from a dev prospective such as mine).

Android programs are coded in the Java EE environment, and I can pretty much guarantee more people in the world know Java than know Apple's stupid XCode crap or whatever they use. Mark my words, Android's market will be twice the size of Apple's market within the next two years easily...and with more free apps. Not to mention I read that Froyo will bring JIT to the table allowing for easier coding on the dev side.

I'm really trying hard not to be an ass here, but you're making statements as if they're factual, but they're really just based on your opinion and what you think is true...but these are the facts.

EDIT: I'd also like to state my opinion as well. I've been a huge supporter of WM since WM5, but I really don't think WP7 is going to work out as well as they hope. It's quite sad, because I was looking forward to the new WP7, but I don't like what I see, and I don't think many others do either. I hate to say it, but I'd rather own an iPhone than a WP7 device...and I hate Apple passionately.

Last edited by Cicatrize; 05-14-2010 at 03:09 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

solarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
Dude, I'm sorry, but it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. iPhone is proprietary hardware because of its stupid Apple port, while Android phones have a standard micro USB, and the EVO has a standard micro HDMI. Nothing proprietary about that. I like that I can use cables that I already have laying around...and they're cheap to buy more.

Also, about the app development, Android has an OPEN market. Anyone can code for it. That means amateurs and professionals alike. I've seen tons of professional applications on the Android platform and they're fantastic. So are the amateurs' ones as well. Even if it's not on the market, you can manually install .apk files anyway, so it doesn't matter. Sure beats what MS has going on right now (from a dev prospective such as mine).

Android programs are coded in the Java EE environment, and I can pretty much guarantee more people in the world know Java than know Apple's stupid XCode crap or whatever they use. Mark my words, Android's market will be twice the size of Apple's market within the next two years easily...and with more free apps. Not to mention I read that Froyo will bring JIT to the table allowing for easier coding on the dev side.

I'm really trying hard not to be an ass here, but you're making statements as if they're factual, but they're really just based on your opinion and what you think is true...but these are the facts.

EDIT: I'd also like to state my opinion as well. I've been a huge supporter of WM since WM5, but I really don't think WP7 is going to work out as well as they hope. It's quite sad, because I was looking forward to the new WP7, but I don't like what I see, and I don't think many others do either. I hate to say it, but I'd rather own an iPhone than a WP7 device...and I hate Apple passionately.

Proprietary isn't just hardware connections.. I wasn't even referring to anything hardware actually. True anyone can code for google but same for windows mobile too. Problem is with the dumbed down toolsets is they aren't very functional. If google limits their toolset like apple (something I don't know) then thats pretty sucky. Kudos to them if they dont. Point is you can have a million lighter apps created by the masses and one really good xbox live game with OTA online play.. and the winner is clear for me. Its not all about the games though although its going to be sweet. WM7 is a clean break it sounds like from the old ways of thinking. This isn't bad and even in emulation things will still work i'm sure. It always gets worked out... for instance Vista was "supposed" to not run any pre-xp stuff but it does great with it now. While its not slated for the main support, someone will surely write an emulator or microsoft will patch it later.

I am happy that a completely new phone/mobile OS is being developed. All of them are limited and generally sucky.. look at what we deal with on customizing our winmo' phones as it is... I do like the droid sense way to throwing in widgets etc, but wm7 will be alot like that too. I bet the customization will be greater on the wm device however.... Microsoft has learned its lesson on interfaces by now.

You can call it microsuck all you want, and while I was an amiga head I hated nothing more than pee-cee's.. but face it. They have come a long way and windows 7 rules for pc and I am expecting microsofts new moves in the mobile market are going to be earth shaking. Can't wait till its done and we get to see some of the 5" devices just around the corner. Some of them may have 3d displays (w/o glasses) too.. Apparently they have had them in japan for the past several years (no suprise I lived there in the early 90's and they are still more advanced than us...) but it didn't take off for some reason. Now with the new 3d tv craze... its picking up steam again.

Have your keyboardless <5" screen evo. At least you can get slideIT on the device which makes it better than no kb.. I'll wait a few months and get into something shinier =) till then the Tp2 is still really damn good. I can do so much with this phone...
Old 05-14-2010, 04:44 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Yeah, but WP7 seems like MS is trying to be like Apple now, and it's frustrating. They're taking everything that's great about WM6.5 and getting rid of it, and that sucks.

For screen size, I don't know if I really want anything bigger than 4.3". I've seen 5" devices in the hands of a user in pictures and it just looks way too big for comfort. When the HD came out, I always thought that if they added a half inch to that 3.8" screen, it'd be huge, but still the perfect size. Any more than that probably wouldn't work for me. I'd like to see how big they can get and if people will even buy devices that big though...it'll be interesting to see.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

solarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Yeah, but WP7 seems like MS is trying to be like Apple now, and it's frustrating. They're taking everything that's great about WM6.5 and getting rid of it, and that sucks.

For screen size, I don't know if I really want anything bigger than 4.3". I've seen 5" devices in the hands of a user in pictures and it just looks way too big for comfort. When the HD came out, I always thought that if they added a half inch to that 3.8" screen, it'd be huge, but still the perfect size. Any more than that probably wouldn't work for me. I'd like to see how big they can get and if people will even buy devices that big though...it'll be interesting to see.
Dont knock it before its finalized... i actually just did some reading on it.. because I haven't for awhile. I found some really promising stuff for it. like this:

As we delve deeper into what current Silverlight programmers are up to in exploring Windows Phone 7, a few things are becoming evident:

Generally speaking, they love it
It's easy
There's lots of development and excitement amongst the community

Sounds like things are looking up. I doubt it will be dumbed down like apple. It seems like they are making it very easy and functional to provide maximum code portability etc.... Which is a bit more than apple and android in order of gestapo towards freedom have in their toolsets..

On a side note while looking I came across this.. no more sneaking texts at stoplights woot!!!

http://marketplace.windowsphone.com/...3Dvoicepredict

oh and for the 5" devices.. If you are carrying about 4.3 why not 5? substitute it for a slatePC. Dont even think about buying an iPad... and your good to go. Your "Everything" device. 4.3 seems bordering small still.. i want some screen real estate.

Last edited by solarflarex; 05-14-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

tt C6 is keeping up the good worktt C6 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
oh and for the 5" devices.. If you are carrying about 4.3 why not 5? substitute it for a slatePC. Dont even think about buying an iPad... and your good to go. Your "Everything" device. 4.3 seems bordering small still.. i want some screen real estate.
That's EXACTLY how I feel.

If I'm FORCED to give up a physical keyboard, I need at least a 5" screen.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

tt C6 is keeping up the good worktt C6 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
I hate to say it, but I'd rather own an iPhone than a WP7 device...and I hate Apple passionately.
As much as it hurst to say it, I agree. If WM7 is just going to be knock off of the Iphone, you might as well buy the original.

Thank GOD for Android with physical qwerty keyboards.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigo View Post
i havent seen any other post asking if i was going to get the evo.
i have a solution to your jerkness just dont comment lol jk
haha!
the evo has nothing to do with the tp2.... i was just trying to tell people there is a forum for everything.... sorry if you really though i was a jerk

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2