PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Overclock TP2 in WM? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=117052)

Keyone 07-17-2010 08:09 PM

Re: Overclock TP2 in WM?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxx134 (Post 1870870)
After reports from other users at XDA and
After more testing I also experience a crash notice after wakeup,
So I just went bold and deleted the only folder in that same directory:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Power/state/suspend

It the folder i stated before, labeled with a long string value, and has one dword reg key labeled "Default" inside.
I am assuming it is a profile setting for the device to suspend.

I haven't had a crash notice since, unless I clock at highest speed.
The unit always reverts to normal clock speed on wakeup, but at least no notice of application crash, AND no more SOD (for me).

If anyone care to try, they may want to save the folder name if they want to revert,
but the dword labeled "default" inside& outside the folder is easy to make again.
So in all I deleted one folder and 2 dwords.

Dunno about other devices, but hope that helps.

Does that seem like it's making the phone not go into sleep mode besides turning off the screen (or maybe just backlight), so the processor is fully active?

Maxx134 07-18-2010 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keyone (Post 1871103)
Does that seem like it's making the phone not go into sleep mode besides turning off the screen (or maybe just backlight), so the processor is fully active?

Na those settings are little further in another folder, I already messed with those and they should be left alone.
They change anyway when you adjust then in power/backlight settings.

erikzon 07-18-2010 11:48 AM

not if you already knew http://www.xda-developers.com/window...dtopazrhodium/

aldamon 07-18-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzon (Post 1871892)

Good job reading the thread.

teradog 07-18-2010 12:26 PM

SWEET! THIS ROCKS, I'm also on Energy 911 (looks funny now that I wrote it... emergency 911?)
re: not GPU, yea but... pulling up & changing wallpapers in cookie, it sure finds the icons fast out of my 2000 pictures spread all over!
Download here

*edit post testing*
729 is real stable for me both power & battery, running load test with wifi router & music. Let go into sleep mode, music keeps playing fine, take out of sleep & drops down to 528, no errors, no music interruption, no BSOD & just ran app again to OC! The only time I saw “error calculating speed” (as prev stated) was not exiting msm7kcpuspeed app before testing, so.. just exit the app! Music menu pulls up REAL fast (1000 songs)…

Downside? Only drawback is that songs play 50% faster now, but my wifi is downloading over 400 KB/sec! … :>)) ……..not

I submit, you probably don’t need to do what maxx134 did. I simply ran Netrippers app, slide to 729. Done.
Maxx134: from several of your posts over multiple pages… to summarize: The only thing you did was deleted the directory (very long numbered) here correct? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Power/state/suspend (I did not do this & it works great for me, thanks for the testing though)

BTW, ** something is strange, tons running 10 min, battery still on 100% several reboots! **

TIPS
· Don’t slide beyond 748, you can’t pull back down & exit, have to reboot (Sprint TP2, Energy cookie 911)
· 748 hangs in less than 1 min using sense slider & winkey test
· 787 (max) & 768 hangs immediately for me, can’t even slide back down, (reboot)

Where I see the most speed improvement?
Pulling up wifi router
Going into the start/settings menu while in wifirouter!
Total commander, especially pulling up the windows directory..

I simply made a top quicklink for msm7kcpu & also put it in windows/startup

Boominsvx 07-19-2010 02:13 AM

Mine goes all the way up to 787. Running Energy Cookie with all kinds of cabs installed. Sometimes you just get lucky with the cpu's. Stable with no crashes and not even a program event on battery after standby. Seems it will work perfectly after we get the resume clock speed brought back up. I can't wait until this works full time. I love the potential I see here. Great job netripper. Keep it up.

teradog 07-19-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boominsvx (Post 1873037)
Mine goes all the way up to 787. Running Energy Cookie with all kinds of cabs installed. Sometimes you just get lucky with the cpu's. Stable with no crashes and not even a program event on battery after standby. Seems it will work perfectly after we get the resume clock speed brought back up. I can't wait until this works full time. I love the potential I see here. Great job netripper. Keep it up.

Good for you! agreed on CPU! I'm LOVING THIS!! wishing i had 787!!

brokensparrow 07-19-2010 05:02 PM

I ran mine at 748 for awhile. Played a bit of FF7 on FPSECE. Plugged my phone into an AC Adapter. Got SOD. And on bootup, Sense doesn't load up anymore. I get an endless cycle of it trying to load up. Just sharing my experiences... Running on Stock 6.5

smileyface22 07-19-2010 05:12 PM

Wirelessly posted (TP2: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

Suscribed! :mrgreen:

teradog 07-19-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokensparrow (Post 1873945)
I ran mine at 748 for awhile. Played a bit of FF7 on FPSECE. Plugged my phone into an AC Adapter. Got SOD. And on bootup, Sense doesn't load up anymore. I get an endless cycle of it trying to load up. Just sharing my experiences... Running on Stock 6.5

729 seems to be my magic number (748 sometimes hangs, but works good.. but I want stability) 710 is good for most. Seems to not matter AC or DC, no difference for me. ** day 2 **

brokensparrow 07-19-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teradog (Post 1874193)
729 seems to be my magic number (748 sometimes hangs, but works good.. but I want stability) 710 is good for most. Seems to not matter AC or DC, no difference for me. ** day 2 **

You still have to restart the overclocking tool when it comes out of standby, right? Because when you say day 2, it sounds like you've been running it overclocked for 2 days straight. If not, please share your secret :-P

Maxx134 07-19-2010 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boominsvx (Post 1873037)

If your running a faster Build rom then you will have better results.
For some reason manila sometimes writes to the storage card in an "app data" folder. It can be deleted if your manila/Sense is frozen/crashed.

Anyone willing to try a new reg setting here:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System
\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Power\State
\On]
dword:
"Default"
value was at zero, currently testing at 1.

This setting is for those with app crash error on wakeup, at WORKING SPEEDS, and also Screen Of Death(no wakeup)...
This is working for me BUT
It could be also in combination with my
previous deletions.. soooo
If anyone can test this entry (from zero to one) without my previous reg deletions if would be help as I cannot re-flash till 2nite.

If you have good results Over Clocking at highest setting, I am thinking because :
1- good rom synergy(no conflict in theme & apps)
2- latest build OS
3-your microSD card may be faster to load on wakup.

EDIT: here my cab to try:
Edit2: this cab is a dud. It was my folder deletions, but Im now looking elswere..

pringlet 07-20-2010 01:16 AM

Thanks for this! This is excellent!

Everything's buttery smooth at 710mhz. I especially like the camera application. No lag in bringing up the controls after taking a pic and also faster return back to camera mode. The time to focus the camera remains the same. The new Bing app seems to be more useable at this clock speed and swype definitely benefits. I have encountered a couple freezes during sleep at 729, but have been able to soft reset without issues. A few folks over at XDA are talking about corruption of sense files due to freezing, but I haven't encountered that yet.

pt

docnas 07-20-2010 01:50 AM

hey i have tried using the overclocking ant it works no prob at 787 but i would always get the error on waking up from sleep.I made the reg edit change it from 0 to 1 am trying it now to see what happens.

EDIT - Still got the error on powering after sleep :(

edit 2 - just messing with it i had set it to 787 again and then used the power button to make it go to sleep and i got the SOD had to reset ...

Maxx134 07-20-2010 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docnas (Post 1874652)
hey i have tried using the overclocking ant it works no prob at 787 but i would always get the error on waking up from sleep.I made the reg edit change it from 0 to 1 am trying it now to see what happens.

EDIT - Still got the error on powering after sleep :(

edit 2 - just messing with it i had set it to 787 again and then used the power button to make it go to sleep and i got the SOD had to reset ...

try on battery.. which rom are you on?
On other thread at xda, very few had 787 stay working for long.
Most had lower limits, mine is one click lower at 768, but only on external power.
on battery I have to click 2 down at 748.
Seems like my cab don't work without my previous deletions.
I dont know how to make a cabfile delete so I will try changing values. in a new cab.
Also try new workaround over at xda using both nuetchem to underclock for sleep and mortscript file to automate the program:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...00#post7261800

Maxx134 07-20-2010 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pringlet (Post 1874622)
....A few folks over at XDA are talking about corruption of sense files due to freezing, but I haven't encountered that yet.
pt

Naw, the Sense freezing is due to processor.
I had Sense freeze on a few roms at 748 & 768, BUT on external power it does not have any problem.

teradog 07-20-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokensparrow (Post 1874252)
You still have to restart the overclocking tool when it comes out of standby, right? Because when you say day 2, it sounds like you've been running it overclocked for 2 days straight. If not, please share your secret :-P

Correct, I still have to start it back up out of standby. re. day 2: this is my second day of testing, no SOD or hangups either on/off A/C or in/out of sleep power @ 729, VERY occasionally @ 748 I have issues. (see prev post)

"If you have good results Over Clocking at highest setting, I am thinking because :
1- good rom synergy(no conflict in theme & apps)
2- latest build OS
3-your microSD card may be faster to load on wakup."

Agreed, but feel you missed the most important one mentioned earlier:
4- Good mojo (silicone).. I use to overclock PC's LONG LONG ago.. same ver of chip... different chips, many different results. Same cpu model, results will vary

Re. #3, I will ONLY use a class 6 SD (C2=2MB/s, C4=4MB/s, C6=6MB/s), but even then, I personally feel this has little bearing on outcome.

*** I use NONE of MAX's mods or CAB's ***

Lucky? maybe... but have no need to mod anything to use this app. If this app doesn't work for you, then you may want to try his mods... I don't need to. (not knocking your work)

Question/Statement about application error message?. The only time I've ever got an error from this app is if I don't exit after setting the slider/speed & I'm running way to high (last couple settings). Otherwise it either drops to 528 or freezes solid (highest setting). Q: does anyone get error app after exiting out of app (after setting higher mhz successfully?

Maxx134 07-21-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokensparrow (Post 1873945)

Just an observation:
I been flashing different roms and while most have performed similarly, a few let me click one speed higher(768) and stay stable one click higher at 748.
They are current favs:
"Inferno"; Vin's "Neodium"; Zone and Energyrom.. In that order.

BUT...
If I was pressed to mention the most stable rom where Sense actually tried to work after a freeze like you mention, and the OS actually tried to remain stable the longest, at the most unstable speeds(768&787)...

There was ONE rom that did:
I am just going to say it, It was MrXrom.
Repeat, this was MY observation with my TP2... your results may vary.

So this is going to be my test rom for now.. until prob end of week, lol

domoarigato 07-22-2010 12:09 AM

running at 710, stock rom, battery powa!

damn havent had an issue with it freezing at all

atomicvocabulary 07-22-2010 01:18 AM

I am really really happy about this. I wish I could give this guy money from my pocket, but I don't see a paypal link on his posts. Man, been waiting a long time to overclock this phone.

divineazn716 07-22-2010 11:50 AM

Hey anyone running it on a stock sprint 6.5 rom? it works good at 710 but everytime it goes to sleep and I try to power it back up, I get SOD??? I noticed everyone is having that problem but has anyone been able to power up after sleep? im running on a stock sprint 6.5.

one80oneday 07-22-2010 11:52 AM

I guess I'll wait for an update on this app before I continue to use it. I can get it to run fine at any speed but always reverts back to stock speeds when the phone sleeps. Very few lockups. While running android I can overlock to 824mhz 100% with no problems. Hopefully this app will be that good soon :)

boredandtattooed 07-22-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by divineazn716 (Post 1877945)
Hey anyone running it on a stock sprint 6.5 rom? it works good at 710 but everytime it goes to sleep and I try to power it back up, I get SOD??? I noticed everyone is having that problem but has anyone been able to power up after sleep? im running on a stock sprint 6.5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by one80oneday (Post 1877949)
I guess I'll wait for an update on this app before I continue to use it. I can get it to run fine at any speed but always reverts back to stock speeds when the phone sleeps. Very few lockups. While running android I can overlock to 824mhz 100% with no problems. Hopefully this app will be that good soon :)

why dont you guys just set your phone to not sleep while plugged in then?? doesnt the OC require you to stay plugged in anyways?

divineazn716 07-22-2010 01:30 PM

I was using this off battery power. it was working just fine but when it goes to sleep it's SOD. I mean many props to the genius behind this but I was doing this battery power and not by being plugged in.

jerryyyyy 07-22-2010 09:27 PM

The discussion of this one XDA developers is over 40 pages.... I have tried it and it resets back to standard speed when I take it off AC power. Does not work on battery for me.

xicloe 07-23-2010 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryyyyy (Post 1878889)
The discussion of this one XDA developers is over 40 pages.... I have tried it and it resets back to standard speed when I take it off AC power. Does not work on battery for me.

I always use that Netripper app when I take it off AC power, and it's works, but some times when I set it too high it's hang :P

Maxx134 07-23-2010 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oveclock resp

Quote:

Originally Posted by divineazn716 (Post 1877945)
..it works good at 710 but everytime it goes to sleep and I try to power it back up, I get SOD??? I noticed everyone is having that problem but has anyone been able to power up after sleep? ..

Yes try my new cab
Quote:

Originally Posted by xicloe (Post 1879185)
I always use that Netripper app when I take it off AC power, and it's works, but some times when I set it too high it's hang :P

Try my new cab also
Must reset for change 2 take effect.
It can also easily be uninstalled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryyyyy (Post 1878889)

Try the safe speed in grey button. Then try higher from there.
Also new version2 app posted first page over there.
Also try my new fix...at your own risk of course :)
Edit :
this is not true fix, just narrow down area of troubles & divert conflict.

jerryyyyy 07-23-2010 12:05 PM

Well, the new version still crashes for me at 604.8 MHz off power.... at least no SOD. From the sounds of the 44 pages over at the other site, this has not been resolved. Wish I had the time to debug and play with it, but too busy. Recall there used to be an app to do this... too simple.

cls_ 07-23-2010 12:32 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that netripper over at xda has released an app to overclock our devices. There is some issues with SOD, but I have created a few mortscripts to prevent the SOD, and fully automate the overclocking. Here are the links:
http://ip208-100-42-21.static.xda-de...d.php?t=725290
http://ip208-100-42-21.static.xda-de...&postcount=430

You will need mortscript, and rhodium keyboard controller (included in Medium Hill Roms)

I have been testing this all day, and it works great. Gives the rhodium a slight speed increase, and makes CHT much smoother.

*EDIT* Just an FYI, but this solution seems to be rom dependent. So you may need to tweak the script to work correctly.
Original Script looked in:
HKLM\Drivers\Display\

Script w/ jpc073@gmail.com modifications looks in:
HKCU\ControlPanel\BackLight\

123sit 07-23-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cls_ (Post 1879741)
Just wanted to let everyone know that netripper over at xda has released an app to overclock our devices. There is some issues with SOD, but I have created a few mortscripts to prevent the SOD, and fully automate the overclocking. Here are the links:

You will need mortscript, and rhodium keyboard controller (included in Medium Hill Roms)

I have been testing this all day, and it works great. Gives the rhodium a slight speed increase, and makes CHT much smoother.

cls_, just wanted to say thanks for this. Been using all day and not a single SOD. Highly recommend to anyone wanting that extra boost of speed. It's also compatible with the version 2 of overclocking app. I didn't set it to overclock on boot in the software, just used your scripts and automagically it works great. Thanks once again.

EDIT: If you use S2U2 like I do, the script that gets attached to the power button has to have one line added in at the end of the file to launch S2U2. If you use the Rhodium keyboard, S2U2 is no longer able to hook the button press.

Just add:

Run("\Program Files\S2U2\s2u2.exe")

as the last line and your good to go.

Maxx134 07-23-2010 05:56 PM

I used my test cab because I didnt have mortscript installed or want to change rom.
That's a very smart method though.

My posted cab was a test epic-failure as further testing reveald it does not prevent SOD after 5min.

Further testing ....

cls_ 07-24-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cls_ (Post 1879741)

Just an FYI, but this solution seems to be rom dependent. So you may need to tweak the script to work correctly.
HKLM\Drivers\Display\

*EDIT* Updated scripts: http://ip208-100-42-21.static.xda-de...&postcount=570

Maxx134 07-25-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cls_ (Post 1881860)
Just an FYI, but this solution seems to be rom dependent. So you may need to tweak the script to work correctly.
HKLM\Drivers\Display\

*EDIT* Updated scripts: http://ip208-100-42-21.static.xda-de...&postcount=570

Personally I don't like running scripts as a solution and so even though it is all we have now,
I am looking for a more direct solution.

My testing so far is showing that there are processes still incomplete on a soft-reset, that will also cause SOD .
You must not set the phone to turn off less than 2minutes on battery.
The area of trouble I have traced to the wireless networks section.

Also all registry settings on "Sleep", "PowerSaveMode", or "DisablePowerManagement" did nothing but speed up a few areas very negligible.

There was one setting taht did help besides the :
battery/suspend/timeout=at least 2min for the wireless networks to finish whatever the hell it is doing (in Sense, maybe weather updating?).

But my testing haven't been conclusive enough to narrow it down yet.
planning to cab any benefits on all settings above.

This is all pertaining to SOD only...

cls_ 07-25-2010 07:15 PM

well, i believe the ideal solution is to write a service, register the service to get power state notifications, and have that service react to certain power state changes. This has been discussed in the xda thread, and references have been made to msdn articles about this.

I would code it myself, but have never wrote a service for win mobile and unfortunately do not the time to do this at the moment. Additonally, if netripper writes that into his code then we will not need to write this.... so if anyone decides to take up this task, I would pm netripper first just to see if you are not duplicating what he maybe doing.

jerryyyyy 07-25-2010 10:28 PM

Yes, still pretty unfinished. I was in a plane all day and had time to mess with this and the code if pretty rough. Registry keys vary by phone and so the various programmers cannot really collaborate.

I am about ready to drop the effort. When it does work, the phone is much snappier... but it does not last long before a SOD.

rom116 07-28-2010 05:51 PM

I realized after a lot of trial and error that if you let the phone go to sleep on it's own you'll get SOD, you'll need to use the top sleep button and have it appropriately mapped to the right mortscript. Very easy to do, been running 2 days at 728 no SOD using Rhodium Keyboard Controller app and the S2U2 app method. The S2U2 app launches the overclock app at the desired setting when you bring it out of lock mode and the sleep button script puts it at 604 to prevent SOD when you put it to sleep. Buru at XDA has a flawless tutorial with pics.

jerryyyyy 07-29-2010 11:20 AM

Well guys, I am now running at 691Mhz and no SOD for 14h... overnight, power on/off, going to sleep and phone calls... before I declare victory... what else should I test?

I am running the stock Sprint ROM, which may be a factor.

demonlordoftheround 07-29-2010 12:15 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Well, you can try wifi, gps, etc but everything seems working for me at 749MHz.

jerryyyyy 07-29-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround (Post 1888277)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Well, you can try wifi, gps, etc but everything seems working for me at 749MHz.

The only thing I noticed was it seemed slow to pick up a call when plugged in. Do you recall there is a registry setting to change the timing of how quickly it polls for an incoming call?

I think I am using the same script.

PS I guess I can creep up the overclocking speed given your results... Do you edit the script on the phone... I read there were problems unless you used the right editor.

chronster 07-29-2010 01:47 PM

I'm running 768mhz, and I've got it doing it automatically anytime I press my power button.

First I deleted this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Power/state/suspend
dword is :
"Default" = 3

Then I followed the steps in this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...81#post7330081

BUT, instead of having it run his under.mscr file, I have it perform the default operation first, THEN run the auto overclock exe found in the startup folder.

There are some slight discrepancies with this method however. For instance, when the phone gets a text message, phone call, or when it's turned on by sliding the keyboard out, the overclock won't occur since the phone woke up without the use of the power button. To overcome this little annoyance, I set it so if I triple press my back button, the auto overclock exe is ran and the clocks are set to 768.

So far, I'm very happy, and I do notice a difference in performance. Not so much battery though. TCMP er whatever plays my futurama episodes just fine, which normally would pause and tear and not be playable at all.