PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim
Re: Data Plan Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazell View Post
The Exchange and heavy Enterprise support makes Windows Mobile a business platform. Hense why MS is keeping WM 6 on the market even after 7...

WP7 will probably need a data plan as it is a consumer targeted device. It is NOT aimed at business.

Android and Palm are also consumer smartphone OSes. The Onlytwo left in the business arena is RIM (Blackberry) and Microsoft (WinMo). MS is started to drift and is leaving it to RIM it looks like. Android is slowly trying to get into the business market, but it simply hasn't gotten there yet.
I think people read too much into the business excuse as an excuse. Both palm and android support exchange. Android had problems at 1st with exchange but those have been fixed. Now I just need a little detail about what you mean hy enterprise solutions. Windows is not drifiting at all nothing is being removed just adding missing features which are long over due if they want to compete with the next Gen OS. Just because certain customization options are being removed and their monitoring their app store better doesn't mean business users and the functions that business users use will disappear.
Google is the next skynet
Old 03-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
I think people read too much into the business excuse as an excuse. Both palm and android support exchange. Android had problems at 1st with exchange but those have been fixed. Now I just need a little detail about what you mean hy enterprise solutions. Windows is not drifiting at all nothing is being removed just adding missing features which are long over due if they want to compete with the next Gen OS. Just because certain customization options are being removed and their monitoring their app store better doesn't mean business users and the functions that business users use will disappear.
Android still does NOT have full Exchange support. Android 2 offers some native Exchange support, but nothing on the level of BlackBerry (w/ BES) or Windows Mobile (via ActiveSync OTA).

Android is limited to Contacts and E-Mail. It doesn't support tasks, cal, etc...

There are a ton of Enterprise Line of Business (LOB) apps for Windows Mobile. Next time you see the Coke delivery man inside 7-11 dropping off a shipment and recording it. Look at the device he is using to record his shipment. It will be a Windows Mobile based device...

WP7s is consumer focused. There is no question about it. That's why its Facebook and Twitter integration go to the core of the OS and are more integrated than its Exchange support. That is why its primary focus is on XBOX Live game integration and Zune functionality.

There is a reason why Windows Mobile 6 will still be around and MS is rumored to be working on a new Windows Mobile for business...
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 03-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Bay Area Boss

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Android still does NOT have full Exchange support. Android 2 offers some native Exchange support, but nothing on the level of BlackBerry (w/ BES) or Windows Mobile (via ActiveSync OTA).

Android is limited to Contacts and E-Mail. It doesn't support tasks, cal, etc...

There are a ton of Enterprise Line of Business (LOB) apps for Windows Mobile. Next time you see the Coke delivery man inside 7-11 dropping off a shipment and recording it. Look at the device he is using to record his shipment. It will be a Windows Mobile based device...

WP7s is consumer focused. There is no question about it. That's why its Facebook and Twitter integration go to the core of the OS and are more integrated than its Exchange support. That is why its primary focus is on XBOX Live game integration and Zune functionality.

There is a reason why Windows Mobile 6 will still be around and MS is rumored to be working on a new Windows Mobile for business...
You are right but like I was saying they're going consumer based to make more $. You are not losing any business features in the least. There are no business phones about to be released from windows and if there are its pure speculation so I will not even get into that. Yes winmo 6 will still be supported but they Dont have many apps and I highly doubt that's going to change randomly. Wp7 will get all the new apps.

Also android supports calendar as well as contacts and email. Task and notes will be there soon.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:16 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:

There is always SyncML....personally I find it sad that people still use Exchange when there are a lot better and more scalable platforms >.>

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
There is always SyncML....personally I find it sad that people still use Exchange when there are a lot better and more scalable platforms >.>
To be honest we've only been talking about native exchange programs. Gten is 100% correct there are programs for android also that do sync all categories.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
I haven't seen a platform that offers the features I get from Exchange and Windows Mobile combined at the price point we pay for Windows Mobile + Exchange. And I make the tech purchase decisions at my company...

If you have something you use that you feel meets your needs then share it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
You are right but like I was saying they're going consumer based to make more $. You are not losing any business features in the least. There are no business phones about to be released from windows and if there are its pure speculation so I will not even get into that. Yes winmo 6 will still be supported but they Dont have many apps and I highly doubt that's going to change randomly. Wp7 will get all the new apps.

Also android supports calendar as well as contacts and email. Task and notes will be there soon.
Oh I'm not arguing if MS will make more money or not. That isn't my job to figure out. But the reality is, as you agree, that they are jumping consumer. But even they know they have to keep something on the pipe for business.

Microsoft makes a lot of money on Windows Mobile device licenses and Exchange CALs based on Windows Mobile + Exchange ActiveSync. Loosing the business market isn't a realistic option for Microsoft. They need to chase both markets at the same time (like they do in Computers).

As a business I loose a lot of features (by the looks of it) with W7Ps. By having Facebook and Twitter cooked into the core of the OS that means I have less control over information leakage in my organization. It also increases the likelyhood that my employee will be loosing hours on the phone I paid for to post twitter updates... My existing business applications and tools will not work...

For a business it is no more exciting to me than letting the iPhone into my company.

For consumers it is probably a great device and we plan on targeting it as a development platform for sure.

You have to understand that the needs of a company and the needs of Facebook happy teens are far from the same. That's why consumers like you hate WinMo in its current state and business executives like me love it to death.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
I haven't seen a platform that offers the features I get from Exchange and Windows Mobile combined at the price point we pay for Windows Mobile + Exchange. And I make the tech purchase decisions at my company...

Oh I'm not arguing if MS will make more money or not. That isn't my job to figure out. But the reality is, as you agree, that they are jumping consumer. But even they know they have to keep something on the pipe for business.

Microsoft makes a lot of money on Windows Mobile device licenses and Exchange CALs based on Windows Mobile + Exchange ActiveSync. Loosing the business market isn't a realistic option for Microsoft. They need to chase both markets at the same time (like they do in Computers).

As a business I loose a lot of features (by the looks of it) with W7Ps. By having Facebook and Twitter cooked into the core of the OS that means I have less control over information leakage in my organization. It also increases the likelyhood that my employee will be loosing hours on the phone I paid for to post twitter updates... My existing business applications and tools will not work...

For a business it is no more exciting to me than letting the iPhone into my company.

For consumers it is probably a great device and we plan on targeting it as a development platform for sure.

You have to understand that the needs of a company and the needs of Facebook happy teens are far from the same. That's why consumers like you hate WinMo in its current state and business executives like me love it to death.
Your last statement is wrong. Facebook and twitter are the least of my worries. If you think that's what's making people choose android as of late then you're sadly mistaken. Truthfully HTC has done a great job of integrating both of those with sense ui. So if that's what you're really worried about you wouldn't be able to buy the HD2 for an employee plus it has a blockbuster tab to stream movies and waste more time.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:39 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:

I use Zimbra + Funambol (but both are custom modified by me to meet my needs..depends on what needs you have there are other options)

Quote:
windows mobile only gives them 5-25$ per license, Exchange and Activesync though they may earn more on

Quote:
My guess is if they do realize WP7 as a phone to business they may let you lock out features but probably a person would be able to crack the lock if wanted..

that said I'm also not too happy at the direction WP7 is going from a business perspective...reason for it being as microsoft said..its not a pocket pc anymore its a phone..but I need a pocket pc not just a phone.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive 32GB MANGO (Sprint)
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular (Verizon)

dtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

[QUOTE=platin465;1620490]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrush View Post

Ah, yes, that is true. Of course, you'd have to jailbreak it first. No big deal since there probably wouldn't be a warranty on a used phone. Anyway, that's a different discussion. But, I'll have to remember that in case the iPhone ever looks more enticing than my winmo phone.

Thanks for the reminder!
I purchased a 16gb black iPhone 3G from a third party, got it "Jailbroken" from a guy for $15 and mailed it to my brother in Washington state. He just went into a T-Mobile store and set up an account and they gave him a SIM card. Popped it in the phone and it worked immediately. He's another guy who doesn't need to use data as Wi-Fi works just fine. T-Mobile isn't the best but it suits his needs. Doesn't talk on the phone a lot, but texts some and NEEDS to run all Apple Products because he's an Apple freak I guess there's nothing wrong with that.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2