PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

grandzu is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargrandzu is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargrandzu is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargrandzu is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Is Windows Mobile Vanishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandzu View Post
Well Samsung has said it will no longer use WinMo for its phones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
Link please.
Samsung to Discard Windows Phone
http://www.telecomskorea.com/market-8281.html
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

that article seems to be mistitled. seems theyre just scaling back wm but completlery getting rid of symbian
Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

nmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Smile Re: Is Windows Mobile Vanishing?

The demise of the PalmOs was also a matter of debate following the updates to the Windows Mobile and Symbian Operating systems. If Windows 7 fails to address the major complaints of the die hard users (myself included) I would not be surprised if Windows Mobile finds itself being dropped. Keep in mind that even if Microsoft tries to keep it alive by purchasing a phone manufacturer, they may be unable to make a dent in the established leader Symbian or the new kids on the block i.e. Apple and Android.

Time will tell.

Out of all the current contenders Android seems to have the most promise as an open OS. Apple still stands a good chance of taking over if thy start producing a wider range of handsets.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandzu View Post
Samsung to Discard Windows Phone
http://www.telecomskorea.com/market-8281.html
Did you read the article? It says 50% of Samsung's smartphones will be Windows Mobile (and 30% Android) this year. In 2012, 20% of their smartphones will be Windows Mobile. There is nothing in there that says they are getting rid of Windows Mobile altogether (other than the incorrect title).
Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmhusa View Post
The demise of the PalmOs was also a matter of debate following the updates to the Windows Mobile and Symbian Operating systems. If Windows 7 fails to address the major complaints of the die hard users (myself included) I would not be surprised if Windows Mobile finds itself being dropped. Keep in mind that even if Microsoft tries to keep it alive by purchasing a phone manufacturer, they may be unable to make a dent in the established leader Symbian or the new kids on the block i.e. Apple and Android.

Time will tell.

Out of all the current contenders Android seems to have the most promise as an open OS. Apple still stands a good chance of taking over if thy start producing a wider range of handsets.
Microsoft has a bigger market share than Android right now. It's Android who is trying to do the catching up...

Oh yeah, and Microsoft already owns a phone manufacturer- Danger (makers of Sidekick). So they have everything ready to go if they decide to make their own phone.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evil Evo

i360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Android will own all in a couple of years I can see it already.

- Not an Android, Apple or Windows fan-boy by any stretch
Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO

awenthol is becoming a PPCGeeks regularawenthol is becoming a PPCGeeks regularawenthol is becoming a PPCGeeks regularawenthol is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

It really doesn't help that there are all kinds of WinMo stereotypes out there as well..and honestly, can't deny a bunch of them. If it weren't for custom ROMs I would never in a million years, have boughten a TP2. They are going to have to advertise the crap out of the updates to WinMo, just like they're doing with Windows 7, to try and break down the stereotypes.

I didn't even give the Sprint ROM a chance when I got my TP2 (immediately loaded Mighty) but if it was anything like the TP, I can see why people are so disappointed and untrusting of Windows right now.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Switching to Android
Pocket PC: SameSung S3, (retired)HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Big Red.. Unless they piss me off!

clueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuff

I think what people need to remember is that winmo is more for the business person. Those other phones are for people that usually want the music & widgets( which to me are useless) but they are also a much younger crowd. friend has the new balckberry storm, and it is nice. Honestly it takes better pics then our tp2. but has a very small screen itty bitty keyboard which i could not deal with.

I do think however microsft needs to step up abit to work with cell companies with issues of hardware & software support. Its a issue that has been stuck with microsoft even on desktops.

If Someone has helped you, don't forget to thank them.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post
It really doesn't help that there are all kinds of WinMo stereotypes out there as well..and honestly, can't deny a bunch of them. If it weren't for custom ROMs I would never in a million years, have boughten a TP2. They are going to have to advertise the crap out of the updates to WinMo, just like they're doing with Windows 7, to try and break down the stereotypes.

I didn't even give the Sprint ROM a chance when I got my TP2 (immediately loaded Mighty) but if it was anything like the TP, I can see why people are so disappointed and untrusting of Windows right now.
I gave the stock ROM a chance. I had to- there was no hard SPL yet.

And yeah, the stock ROM sucked, big time.

Having said that- the stock ROM is not Microsoft's fault. That is a Sprint (and HTC) thing. The fact that you can use a custom ROM that prforms much better (and at a satisfactory level) just means Microsoft actually got it right. The problem is Sprint customized the ROM in an unsatisfactory manner. And this is the normal thing for carriers to do.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

grandzu is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargrandzu is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargrandzu is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargrandzu is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Did you read the article? It says 50% of Samsung's smartphones will be Windows Mobile (and 30% Android) this year. In 2012, 20% of their smartphones will be Windows Mobile. There is nothing in there that says they are getting rid of Windows Mobile altogether (other than the incorrect title).
It doesn't bode well.
For WM to go from 90% to 20% in 4 years (and to 50% from 90% in one year) and Android to be in 30% of their phones next year, it seems like thats the way its headed.
Motorola has dropped Windows Mobile from its line entirely in a switch to Android
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/26/te...26android.html

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2