PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

nmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Forget Pandora ! Register with Lala for music streaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
Exactly.

It has always been possible to stream music (or video or pics ar anything else stored on your hard drives) from your home computer using ORB so that's really nothing new.

To me, Pandora rocks because it comes up with music I don't already own & sometimes comes up with song versions I haven't heard before.

~John
Lala doesn't stream music from your home (like ORB). It streams it from it's own collection of music on its servers. The beauty is that after Lala verifies the existance of the music files on your drive, you can shut of your PC, Mac etc and Lala will continue to allow streaming of those songs for free from its servers in any order, playlist, at any time you choose.

It trumps Pandora by allowing user choice in song, album etc played at anytime and it trumps ORB by not needing to have anything running on the users end.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

nmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Forget Pandora ! Register with Lala for music streaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_musiq07 View Post
Is there a mobile app for this? And Technically Apple has Home Sharing on iTunes...It's a helluva beast!

Apple has not as of yet approved an app for Lala. No app available for PPC yet, but skyfire works on the site.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

mobius999 is just getting started
Re: Forget Pandora ! Lala streams your music from it's servers

If Lala lets you play any song you like for free from it's collection, then why does it scan your home PC and look for DRM rights in the first place? I don't get why that is necessary if it's truly a free song depository.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

alex jb is keeping up the good workalex jb is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to alex jb

I'm going to try this, but I have my home computer on 24/7 (for skype & simplify media) so in this case is it better than ORB?
Old 01-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Virtually, I am a Ppc
Pocket PC: SAMSUNG EPIC 4G

Hypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the community

The problem with this is that it only allows you to play any song once in its entirety. If you try to play the same song again it will only give you a 30 sec sample and ask you to purchase the song.
Another downside is it doesnt continue streaming similar songs like Pandora. Just gives you a list of songs that you are allowed to play once!!
Or buy=FAIL!

**Got Lasers?? Check out our site for shows and equipment:
http://www.ctlasers.com/

-A quick thanks always helps!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic2010 View Post
The problem with this is that it only allows you to play any song once in its entirety. If you try to play the same song again it will only give you a 30 sec sample and ask you to purchase the song.
Another downside is it doesnt continue streaming similar songs like Pandora. Just gives you a list of songs that you are allowed to play once!!
Or buy=FAIL!
In regard to your own music (purchased or obtain via ripping your CD collection or from any other means.... no DRM needed) it will allow continuous play of any song, playlist etc that Lala confirms resided on a hard drive connected to a PC that you logged into Lala from. I have no idea what checks it is performing, but can attest to the fact that non-DRM music worked fine with the service.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius999 View Post
If Lala lets you play any song you like for free from it's collection, then why does it scan your home PC and look for DRM rights in the first place? I don't get why that is necessary if it's truly a free song depository.
From their website (no DRM needed)

Play over 8 million songs for free
No ads, no subscriptions -- just an incredible catalog of music to explore. Listen to any song or album once for free. Music from major labels and indie labels, all legally licensed. New albums on the day of release, and hidden gems from an artist's early works.
Play your music, anywhere on the web
Lala's Music Mover quickly matches the songs on your computer to Lala's licensed catalog. Songs you already have and playlists you've created are instantly added to your Lala collection for free. The number of songs you can add is unlimited. Play and share your music, anywhere on the web.
Discover new music through friends and experts
Get picks from artists, DJs, and music reviewers delivered to you daily. Browse your friends collections, listen to their playlists, and get updates when they add or recommend new music. Connect with real people who can guide your music discovery.
Buy new music starting at 10 cents
Listen to songs in full before you buy. Get unlimited plays of a song on the web for 10 cents, or the MP3 download for 79 cents more. All the MP3s are DRM-free, compatible with iTunes and Windows Media Player.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic2010 View Post
Or buy=FAIL!
The price for unlimited web plays of any song is only 10 cents. Not bad. As far as repeat plays.... if you have a copy of the song in your collection, you will be able to play it as much as you like.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Apache/TouchPro/TouchPro2/Evo4G

vradi is a n00b

How is the sound quality through Skyfire?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

alex jb is keeping up the good workalex jb is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to alex jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vradi View Post
How is the sound quality through Skyfire?
good question, +1 on this.
I tried bbc I-player throught the old skyfire and it was awfull.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2