PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 03:46 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint Phone--->tmobile internet and ATT also??

from what i've been reading, you can't get data on this. please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:01 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint PCS

xsytrance is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to xsytrance Send a message via Yahoo to xsytrance
Re: Sprint Phone--->tmobile internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
from what i've been reading, you can't get data on this. please correct me if i'm wrong.
Yes, you are wrong. Please read below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicrice View Post
Go to connection settings in the settings menu, make a new data connection named "T-Mobile Data". Create a new modem connection within that and make sure it is set to use "Cellular Line (GPRS, 3G)". The access point name is "epc.tmobile.com" and that should be it. Of course this only works if your SIM is enabled with data by T-Mobile (ie. it won't work with prepaid SIMs).
I can confirm that this works. I currently have a Sprint Touch Pro 2 running Mighty Rom 6.5 (011010). For those that don't know, if you are on Sprint, you can currently get out of your contract with no ETF due to an increase in their Regulatory Fee on Jan. 1st, 2010.

Anyway, I just ported my number over to the T-Mobile Even More Plus plan which includes 500 minutes, Unlimited Texting, and Unlimited Data. I popped the T-Mobile SIM into my TP2 and first set up voice following these instructions (thanks goes to user "NIKKG" for this):

1. Open the phone's dialpad.
2. Click on Menu\Options
3. Click on the "Network" tab.
4. Under "Mode of Operation" select "GSM/UMTS only"
5. In the same screen, under "GSM Network Selection" select "Manual"
6. In the same screen, click on "Set Networks" and/or "Find Network" and make sure you select "T-Mobile." If you get a screen with a whole list of phone providers with checkboxes next to them, leave them all checked and just make sure T-Mobile is at the top.
7. Go to the GSM/UMTS Services Tab
8. Click on "Band" (Note: I didn't see the "Band" setting on Calkulin's 6.5 ROM, but it's definitely on Mighty's)
9. Click on "Get Settings"
10. Under "Select your network type" select "GSM"
11. On the same screen, under "select your GSM/UMTS band" select "GSM(1900 + 850) + UMTS(1900+850)

That sets up voice. Here's how to set up data (thank you, user "electronicrice"):

1. Go to "Settings\Connections" on your phone
2. Click on "Manage existing connections"
3. Hold the stylus down on the Sprint connection and select "delete"
4. On the same screen, click "New" at the bottom right"
5. Under "Enter a name for the connection" EDIT: keep the default name of "My Connection" For some reason, if you edit this name, your data will NOT work.
6. On the same screen, make sure you change "Select a modem" from "Cellular Line" to "Cellular Line (GPRS, 3G)" (<--- that's the part that killed me, I just left it at "Cellular Line" without seeing if there were other options)
7. Under "Access point name" type: epc.tmobile.com
8. Leave everything blank on the next screen (User name, password, domain) Just click "Finish".
9. Click "OK" at the topright until you get back to the homescreen.
10. SOFT RESET! I changed my settings over and over and tried different access points, until I realized all I had to do was soft reset.

This should get everything working, e.g. voice and data, on a Sprint Touch Pro 2 using a T-Mobile SIM card on the Even More Plus plan. I'm sure it will work on other data plans, but I can only confirm it works with this particular one. Now, I was having problems with voice last night, where the phone would constantly lose signal whenever I changed locations until I manually set up voice again. I'll see if I'm still having this problems when I go to work today and maybe we can all put our heads together and fix it.

Hope this works for you!
i look back and i'm amazed... that my thoughts were so clear and true.... those three words went through my mind endlessly.... repeating themselves, like a broken record.... you're so cool... you're so cool... you're so cool....

Last edited by xsytrance; 01-11-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: ATT

NIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsytrance View Post
Yes, you are wrong. Please read below.

I can confirm that this works. I currently have a Sprint Touch Pro 2 running Mighty Rom 6.5 (011010). For those that don't know, if you are on Sprint, you can currently get out of your contract with no ETF due to an increase in their Regulatory Fee on Jan. 1st, 2010.

Anyway, I just ported my number over to the T-Mobile Even More Plus plan which includes 500 minutes, Unlimited Texting, and Unlimited Data. I popped the T-Mobile SIM into my TP2 and first set up voice following these instructions (thanks goes to user "NIKKG" for this):

1. Open the phone's dialpad.
2. Click on Menu\Options
3. Click on the "Network" tab.
4. Under "Mode of Operation" select "GSM/UMTS only"
5. In the same screen, under "GSM Network Selection" select "Manual"
6. In the same screen, click on "Set Networks" and/or "Find Network" and make sure you select "T-Mobile." If you get a screen with a whole list of phone providers with checkboxes next to them, leave them all checked and just make sure T-Mobile is at the top.
7. Go to the GSM/UMTS Services Tab
8. Click on "Band" (Note: I didn't see the "Band" setting on Calkulin's 6.5 ROM, but it's definitely on Mighty's)
9. Click on "Get Settings"
10. Under "Select your network type" select "GSM"
11. On the same screen, under "select your GSM/UMTS band" select "GSM(1900 + 850) + UMTS(1900+850)

That sets up voice. Here's how to set up data (thank you, user "electronicrice"):

1. Go to "Settings\Connections" on your phone
2. Click on "Manage existing connections"
3. Hold the stylus down on the Sprint connection and select "delete"
4. On the same screen, click "New" at the bottom right"
5. Under "Enter a name for the connection" EDIT: keep the default name of "My Connection" For some reason, if you edit this name, your data will NOT work.
6. On the same screen, make sure you change "Select a modem" from "Cellular Line" to "Cellular Line (GPRS, 3G)" (<--- that's the part that killed me, I just left it at "Cellular Line" without seeing if there were other options)
7. Under "Access point name" type: epc.tmobile.com
8. Leave everything blank on the next screen (User name, password, domain) Just click "Finish".
9. Click "OK" at the topright until you get back to the homescreen.
10. SOFT RESET! I changed my settings over and over and tried different access points, until I realized all I had to do was soft reset.

This should get everything working, e.g. voice and data, on a Sprint Touch Pro 2 using a T-Mobile SIM card on the Even More Plus plan. I'm sure it will work on other data plans, but I can only confirm it works with this particular one. Now, I was having problems with voice last night, where the phone would constantly lose signal whenever I changed locations until I manually set up voice again. I'll see if I'm still having this problems when I go to work today and maybe we can all put our heads together and fix it.

Hope this works for you!
That is true, my GF tested it, even with the correct voice settings, it still loses connection and she has to manually enable tmobile all over again. I am thinking maybe I should get rid of her stock rom and try a different one like Mighty. Maybe there is something in the stock rom thats making it lose connection.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 AM
N00b

xsytrance is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKG View Post
That is true, my GF tested it, even with the correct voice settings, it still loses connection and she has to manually enable tmobile all over again. I am thinking maybe I should get rid of her stock rom and try a different one like Mighty. Maybe there is something in the stock rom thats making it lose connection.
Unfortunately, it's definitely not that. I am on Mighty and am still losing connection. I guess we just have to play with the settings some more.

Last edited by xsytrance; 01-11-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker

NIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Unfortunately, it's definitely not that. I am on Mighty and am still losing connection. Maybe it has something to do with the PRL? Our phones are probably still looking for Sprint towers to connect to, but we have them set to GSM only. I'm guessing we have to find a T-Mobile PRL and put it on our phones so that it looks for T-Mobile towers without us telling it to manually connect each time.
Thats a good idea, but isn't the PRL on GSM phones located on the SIM itself? I am not sure how that works, but say I put a tmobile SIM in an ATT phone, it never loses connection.

Maybe if we can somehow wipe the prl from the sprint phone or if there is some way to permanently turn off the CDMA radio at the hardware level so that the phone only acts as a GSM phone?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 AM
N00b

xsytrance is a n00b

Quote:
Thats a good idea, but isn't the PRL on GSM phones located on the SIM itself? I am not sure how that works, but say I put a tmobile SIM in an ATT phone, it never loses connection.

Maybe if we can somehow wipe the prl from the sprint phone or if there is some way to permanently turn off the CDMA radio at the hardware level so that the phone only acts as a GSM phone?
You're right. I did some Google searching and realized that PRLs are a CDMA thing. I tried editing my post before anyone could read that, but you beat me to it. Shows how much I know, huh? Your idea sounds excellent though.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 AM
N00b

xsytrance is a n00b

NIKKG, is your data connection staying on? So far mine has stopped working a couple of times and I've had to soft reset to fix it. The first time I thought it was because I renamed the connection from My Connection to T-Mobile, but now it happened again.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
NIKKG, is your data connection staying on? So far mine has stopped working a couple of times and I've had to soft reset to fix it. The first time I thought it was because I renamed the connection from My Connection to T-Mobile, but now it happened again.
I haven't tried the data because my GF only wants the voice and text. I assume you lose connection for the same reason you lose the voice connection.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint TP2
Carrier: AT&T

SouthernAtHeart is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
I haven't tried the data because my GF only wants the voice and text. I assume you lose connection for the same reason you lose the voice connection.
Anyone finding a solution to this network drop problem? I have the same thing with my Sprint phone, using it on AT&T network, keeps dropping me.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

danielsan127 is a n00b

ive used the epc/internet2 APN's but couldnt get data to work for me. It could just be that im using tzone though...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2