PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Who plans to go HD2? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=103702)

1999TL 01-05-2010 10:02 AM

Re: Who plans to go HD2?

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeszekely (Post 1461030)

As for development, the Windows Phone Marketplace is indeed lacking compared to the Android Marketplace. But that's where WinMo's biggest advantage really shines: it's an open platform. Pretty much anything I've wanted WinMo to do, I've been able to find an app for it with a quick Google search, including stuff that comes on Android like Google Maps.

This is what really bug me about Microsoft. They only make a few apps to make their very own platform better. However, their Facebook application is HORRIBLE. There are too man areas where functionality is seriously lacking, such as being able to view all comments. Considering Facebook is the unquestioned leade in social networking, you would think that Microsoft would update their Facebook application. The app's shortcomings don't really bother me. What bother's me is that Windows Mobile is losing developers left and right to the Iphone and Android. Hell if Microsoft does not even want to spend time on their app for their OWN platform, what's that telling consumers and developers? And what's in store for the future?

I forgot to add that a lacking FB app from MSFT is compounded with a clumsy browsing experience via Internet Explorer on Facebook.com. If you guys have tried it, you can't even get the whole screen.

I'll add some screen shots.
Screen 1 & 2 are on the regular Facebook.com site. I had to open the phone to Landscape just so that I could access the scroll bars. I could not even move left and right. What you see in Screen 2 is basically all I could even access.

Then I went to Touch.facebook.com This site works fine for touch phones on Opera. Observe how it looks for IE. What a joke.

AB33, I would not consider the HD2 the same phone by any means. Double the processing power with a more efficient power consumption....NOT the same

BlackDynamite 01-05-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TL (Post 1462023)
This is what really bug me about Microsoft. They only make a few apps to make their very own platform better. However, their Facebook application is HORRIBLE. There are too man areas where functionality is seriously lacking, such as being able to view all comments. Considering Facebook is the unquestioned leade in social networking, you would think that Microsoft would update their Facebook application. The app's shortcomings don't really bother me. What bother's me is that Windows Mobile is losing developers left and right to the Iphone and Android. Hell if Microsoft does not even want to spend time on their app for their OWN platform, what's that telling consumers and developers? And what's in store for the future?

I forgot to add that a lacking FB app from MSFT is compounded with a clumsy browsing experience via Internet Explorer on Facebook.com. If you guys have tried it, you can't even get the whole screen.

I'll add some screen shots.
Screen 1 & 2 are on the regular Facebook.com site. I had to open the phone to Landscape just so that I could access the scroll bars. I could not even move left and right. What you see in Screen 2 is basically all I could even access.

Then I went to Touch.facebook.com This site works fine for touch phones on Opera. Observe how it looks for IE. What a joke.

AB33, I would not consider the HD2 the same phone by any means. Double the processing power with a more efficient power consumption....NOT the same

While I agree with what you are saying (Microsoft's Facebook app could be better) I think that is intentional. I think they wanted to leave the door open for 3rd party developers to jump in.
They gave us something to use for now (imagine if there was no Facebook app at all, people would be bailing right and left). And at the same time, they left the door open for 3rd party developers to come in and make some money. And if the 3rd party devs come in and make money, they are more likely to start coding other WinMo apps as well.

Microsoft basically planted a momey tree. Any dev out there has to see the opportunity for a decent Facebook app on WinMo...

1999TL 01-05-2010 10:27 AM

What about FB and their piss poor IE browser support?

BlackDynamite 01-05-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TL (Post 1462056)
What about FB and their piss poor IE browser support?

Well I don't know anything about that, I haven't used IE Mobile in forever. But that basically backs up my other point- MS gave us something we could use if we absolutely had to, but left the door wide open for 3rd party developers. Opera stepped in, and nobody uses IE anymore. If IE was perfect, we wouldn't have Opera and Skyfire.

p-slim 01-05-2010 12:57 PM

Sprint officially removed tp1 and diamond from the website, now they officially do not have 1 single winmo phone that is touchscreen only.

1999TL 01-05-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1462303)
Sprint officially removed tp1 and diamond from the website, now they officially do not have 1 single winmo phone that is touchscreen only.

LOL p. I'm trying to figure out are you analyzing this every which way b/c you want the HD2, or you want Sprint to get it so that they can increase sales?

BlackDynamite 01-05-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1462303)

With a joint press even between Sprint and Microsoft tomorrow, this could be something. Too bad it doesn't have a keyboard.

p-slim 01-05-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TL (Post 1462310)
LOL p. I'm trying to figure out are you analyzing this every which way b/c you want the HD2, or you want Sprint to get it so that they can increase sales?

to be honest its both. i definitely want the hd2 and badly but it would be quite awhile before i trusted tmobile everywhere i travelled to. so my only other option is to add a tmobile line a see if they stepped their game up or the easiest way would be for sprint to just pick it up.

on the other hand i also think it makes since for sprint to pick it up, 1 because they have no touchscreen only winmo phone and 2 because hd2 is getting a lot of hype i do believe sprint would win back some of its customer base just by picking up this phone. i know sprints customer service is the worst of them all but i love how fast and reliable their network is, its sucks they are losing customers due just to the fact they may not know how to treat people. get a device that brings people back then change your customer service and we're good, i hope i never have to go to the expensive carriers like att and verizon, while i also hope i never have to go to a network like tmobile. i never need customer service so sprint is the best of both worlds for me, cheap plans and high quality call reception and data speeds.

1999TL 01-05-2010 01:19 PM

I have literally not called Sprint CS in 2 yrs. Is the service still that bad? Last timeI dealt with ecare with my Mogul, I was shipping a new Touch Pro. So their service is allllll right with me. Then I got the TP2 free too.....

p-slim 01-05-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TL (Post 1462344)
I have literally not called Sprint CS in 2 yrs. Is the service still that bad? Last timeI dealt with ecare with my Mogul, I was shipping a new Touch Pro. So their service is allllll right with me. Then I got the TP2 free too.....

Im with you, i never have any problems either but when i use to work their 2 years ago, the customer service was bad. it has dramatically changed for the better but in alot of peoples mouths they have a really bad taste from sprint and plus people talk so word of mouth is killing them also. sprint needs to change that look, customer service is really big now, even at my company (comcast) we made our phone reps have certain things they have to say on every call now, like "we appreciate your business" you should here alot of companies saying this before you end the call now, just goes to show how big customer service is. thats just 1 example.