PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Who plans to go HD2? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=103702)

BlackDynamite 01-04-2010 12:56 PM

Re: Who plans to go HD2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1459684)
WHY???? It's slower, OLD and less development for it

Windows Mobile is not old. WM6.5 has not even been fully rolled out yet. So yes, PPC 2002 might be old, but WM6.5 is pretty freaking new, lol.

brownhornet 01-04-2010 01:08 PM

Please... the only thing new about 6.5 is the honeycomb menu. Take away manila and you have the same ol winmo from the mogul. I think its pretty much a concensus that hardly anything has been done to upgrade it other than to lay interfaces over the top of it to make it look pretty.

BlackDynamite 01-04-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1459747)
Please... the only thing new about 6.5 is the honeycomb menu. Take away manila and you have the same ol winmo from the mogul. I think its pretty much a concensus that hardly anything has been done to upgrade it other than to lay interfaces over the top of it to make it look pretty.

I don't even use Manilla, so you're definitely wrong about that.

There are a number of improvements in WM6.5 over older versions. It's faster, the menus are a lot bigger, it has scrollable lists, and it's more finger friendly all around.

You're crazy if you think it's the same ol WinMo form the Mogul. It's not even remotely close. And, again, I don't even use manilla (hate it) so that clearly isn't it.

brownhornet 01-04-2010 01:26 PM

Faster WHERE??? As a matter of fact its still SLOW as hell compared to android and the iphone. Takes forever for programs to load and dont even bother letting a lot of texts back up. Bigger menus and more finger friendly...yea... major improvements.disgust

BlackDynamite 01-04-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1459786)
Faster WHERE??? As a matter of fact its still SLOW as hell compared to android and the iphone. Takes forever for programs to load and dont even bother letting a lot of texts back up. Bigger menus and more finger friendly...yea... major improvements.disgust

So you're running a 6.1 ROM then? Oh wait, you're on 6.5? I'm guessing you must have appreciated the improvements in WM6.5 when you risked bricking your phone to install it...

If WM6.5 wasn't any different, then all of the apps from previous versions would run the same on it.

And yes, WM6.5 is a lot faster than WM6.0 (from the Mogul).

So, again, all of your other rants aside- WM is not old, as you claimed. Yes, there are old versions of WinMo, but WM6.5 is pretty freaking new.

brownhornet 01-04-2010 01:44 PM

I risked bricking it because without it there was no way I would have gotten another windows mobile phone in the first place basically. And if I had to actually buy it I definitely wouldnt have... only reason I have it is because it was free. And YES it is slow compared to other OS out, and there is still NOTHING new about 6.5 other than the number and the menus. Same OLD functions, same OLD specs... only thing NEW about it is what HTC added with manila/sense.

Like i've said before on here i've used the moto droid.. speed wise, no comparison. I'm not a fan of the iphone but speedwise, not much comparison there either. NEW is the fact that android has been able to develop and pretty much PASS winmo in development even though winmo had like what, a 5 year headstart? New is when THEY drop updates they are actually significant changes.. not just menu sizes. What has winmo done to actually upgrade the OS ITSELF? Almost NOTHING!!!!!

I'm sorry but i'm just realistic on this one... I can only imagine what android & iphone4g will come out with over the next year in comparison to winmo7. IF its anything like this "major" upgrade from 6.1 to 6.5 then I definitely wont be able to say im impressed.

BlackDynamite 01-04-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1459818)
I risked bricking it because without it there was no way I would have gotten another windows mobile phone in the first place basically. And if I had to actually buy it I definitely wouldnt have... only reason I have it is because it was free. And YES it is slow compared to other OS out, and there is still NOTHING new about 6.5 other than the number and the menus. Same OLD functions, same OLD specs... only thing NEW about it is what HTC added with manila/sense.

Like i've said before on here i've used the moto droid.. speed wise, no comparison. I'm not a fan of the iphone but speedwise, not much comparison there either. NEW is the fact that android has been able to develop and pretty much PASS winmo in development even though winmo had like what, a 5 year headstart? New is when THEY drop updates they are actually significant changes.. not just menu sizes. What has winmo done to actually upgrade the OS ITSELF? Almost NOTHING!!!!!

I'm sorry but i'm just realistic on this one... I can only imagine what android & iphone4g will come out with over the next year in comparison to winmo7. IF its anything like this "major" upgrade from 6.1 to 6.5 then I definitely wont be able to say im impressed.

So now you're backing off your claim that it's the same old WinMo that was on the Mogul and just ranting about it not being as good as Android or the iPhone?

Again, I don't even run manilla. I hate it and the ROM I have been running for the last month doesn't even have it cooked in. And even before that, when I had it cooked in, I never ran it. I'm an SPB Mobile Shell guy. I dare you to go ask anyone running Mobile Shell on a Touch Pro 2 if it behaves differently on WM6.5 than WM6.1. I'll save you the trouble and tell you- yes, it does. One example is the dialer buttons having functions that only work on WM6.5. So clearly WM6.5 has some differences under the hood. And there are plenty of apps that only work correctly on one or the other. See the stickied thread in this forum with a tweaks cab that only works on WM6.1 for further evidence of this. By the way, when I ran SPB Mobile Shell on the mogul, it was not a today screen replacement. It just ran as a today screen plugin. Because back then, winmo didn't allow today screen replacements.

And, again, you go on to say you risked bricking your phone to install it, and wouldn't have bought the phone if you couldn't, and then say it's nothing new. LOL! Which is it? Is it such a nice upgrade that it made you buy a phone that you didn't want otherwise, or is it nothing new?

If you want a Droid, go buy one. Nothing is stopping you. But don't sit here and lie to us that WM6.5 is the same ol WinMo that the Mogul has. It's not. There are huge improvements in interface, speed, and functionality.

And don't try to change or twist your argument. You said it was old, and I called BS on that claim. It has nothing to do with it being faster than a Droid or an iPhone. It has every bit to do with it being newer than the "same ol winmo that the mogul has" though.

p-slim 01-04-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1459818)

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. When did winmo claim 6.5 was suppose to be a major upgrade? No one ever said that, actually we all had 6.5 roms 8 months before it came out, so technically everyone new exactly what it was. 2nd why would you expect a major upgrade going from 6.1 to 6.5, that doesn't even make sense, to me that sounds like minor updates. Its only logical to expect a whole new number when you expect major updates, ie winmo 6 to winmo 7. Windows is doing great with updating what the people want before the full release is out. they now even have 6.5.x which is more finger friendlyness since the people are asking for that. Giving updates like that before the release of the official next version is what I personally like to see. Go get a droid if you want one and stop crying.

furiousgtz 01-04-2010 02:50 PM

can you imagine cooked custom roms on that hd2.

brownhornet 01-04-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1459877)
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. When did winmo claim 6.5 was suppose to be a major upgrade? No one ever said that, actually we all had 6.5 roms 8 months before it came out, so technically everyone new exactly what it was. 2nd why would you expect a major upgrade going from 6.1 to 6.5, that doesn't even make sense, to me that sounds like minor updates. Its only logical to expect a whole new number when you expect major updates, ie winmo 6 to winmo 7. Windows is doing great with updating what the people want before the full release is out. they now even have 6.5.x which is more finger friendlyness since the people are asking for that. Giving updates like that before the release of the official next version is what I personally like to see. Go get a droid if you want one and stop crying.

Tell em why you mad son. Funny thing is the only thing people can harp on is how finger friendly it is.. thus even further proving my point that there really isnt anything else to mention. LOl trips me out how folks on here worship this phone like there are no faults and then claim someone is "crying" when they point out the obvious. And the obvious IS that windows mobile hasnt changed AT ALL... in years.

Its one of the main reasons sales are constantly slumping while others are constantly growing because there really isnt ANYTHING new about it. And you can make the menu arguments and finger friendly arguments or whatever else you want.. but i've had windows mobile for 5 years and like I said aside from manila and a few overlays there's really nothing different about it. If you want to count "more finger friendly" or "nice shiny menus" as upgrades or changes then whatever works.

But bottom line is.. keeping up with new advances in technology... windows mobile is NOT. Handle a HTC phone with the same hardware running android and another running windows mobile and the difference is pretty clear.. dont know how else to put it. Hell had it not been for sites like this and xda how many people HERE would even have windows mobile still if they had to stick with the stock OS?

Like I said before I got the phone as a free upgrade from my touch pro so pretty much ANYTHING from that would have been an improvement. Some of yall are worse than those iphone fanboys that just refuse to see the obvious.