PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Who plans to go HD2? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=103702)

WisdomWolfX 12-30-2009 06:48 PM

Re: Who plans to go HD2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg (Post 1449205)
Totally wrong. If Sprint is the only carrier using WiMax, nobody will even bother making devices that support it. Kind of like IDEN right now.

While it will certainly be harder to get devices being the only US carrier using Wimax, you can't compare to IDEN. Nobody makes devices for IDEN because it's partially owned by Motorola and they are the only ones that can make devices for it. That is the limiting factor there.

BlackDynamite 12-30-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX (Post 1449242)
While it will certainly be harder to get devices being the only US carrier using Wimax, you can't compare to IDEN. Nobody makes devices for IDEN because it's partially owned by Motorola and they are the only ones that can make devices for it. That is the limiting factor there.

Well you could even cite CDMA as an example. It's harder for CDMA carriers to get good devices than GSM. CDMA still gets some decent devices, but not as many as GSM. And this is with roughly half (or even more than half) of the north American customers being on CDMA. So it can only get worse if Sprint is the only carrier using WiMax (as all signs are pointing to that being the case).

And that is pretty much what that CEO said too, so it's not like this is totally baseless or anything...

WisdomWolfX 12-30-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg (Post 1449306)
Well you could even cite CDMA as an example. It's harder for CDMA carriers to get good devices than GSM. CDMA still gets some decent devices, but not as many as GSM. And this is with roughly half (or even more than half) of the north American customers being on CDMA. So it can only get worse if Sprint is the only carrier using WiMax (as all signs are pointing to that being the case).

And that is pretty much what that CEO said too, so it's not like this is totally baseless or anything...

What are you talking about? There's a hell of a lot of good smartphone choices on CDMA. More so than GSM (I'm not counting unlocked devices from overseas since they don't support 3G here).

While I don't care for many of the choices, you can't refute that they exist and are viable options for lots of people.

Droid, Hero, Eris, Pre, Pixi, Intrepid, TP2 w/ a freaking 3.5mm jack...CDMA only.

GSM has...umm...G1? The iPhone?

p-slim 12-30-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg (Post 1449306)

youre getting them mixed up. cdma is still the network, wimax is just a different radio. Making phones for sprint is not going to be affected at all.

BlackDynamite 12-30-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX (Post 1449442)
What are you talking about? There's a hell of a lot of good smartphone choices on CDMA. More so than GSM (I'm not counting unlocked devices from overseas since they don't support 3G here).

While I don't care for many of the choices, you can't refute that they exist and are viable options for lots of people.

Droid, Hero, Eris, Pre, Pixi, Intrepid, TP2 w/ a freaking 3.5mm jack...CDMA only.

GSM has...umm...G1? The iPhone?

Wait, are you seriously making an argument that CDMA has more smartphones than GSM? Really man? LOL!!!!

Should I point out that just about every single one of the devices you listed had a GSM version first? Droid- Click, Hero and Eris (which are the same, by the way)- My Touch 3G, Touch Pro 2- come on, you know it was on GSM first, I had one in July on AT&T for crying out loud. It doesn't have a 3.5mm jack because it was made FIRST, before HTC started putting 3.5mm jacks in devices.

And there ar eliterally tons of GSM devices that CDMA doesn't have- including the device this thread is talking about, the HD2.

Where is the CDMA HD1? The CDMA HTC Kaiser? The CDMA HTC Universal? The CDMA G1? The CDMA google Nexus or whatever they are going to call it? The CDMA iPhone? The CDMA LG Expo, The CDMA Xperia (X1, X2, or X3)? The Garmin phone? CDMA versions of any of the Dell, HP, or Acer phones?

Seriously man, this is just the tip of the iceberg. This list can go on and on and on. You must be crazy to actually imply that CDMA gets more and/or better smartphones than GSM. It's not even close.

BlackDynamite 12-30-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1449469)
youre getting them mixed up. cdma is still the network, wimax is just a different radio. Making phones for sprint is not going to be affected at all.

No, you're wrong man. WiMax is not CDMA. WiMax is WiMax. If WiMax was CDMA, Verizon would be going to WiMax and not LTE.

p-slim 12-30-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg (Post 1449509)
No, you're wrong man. WiMax is not CDMA. WiMax is WiMax. If WiMax was CDMA, Verizon would be going to WiMax and not LTE.

so verizon isn't going to be considered cdma at all? Is the whole network changing altogether, even the voice service? Does this mean they could loose their nationwide best coverage title since this will be a new network? if the network isn't changing in that sense and only data coverage then its not going to make a big difference. Those are serious questions i don't know the answers to.

WisdomWolfX 12-30-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg (Post 1449502)
Wait, are you seriously making an argument that CDMA has more smartphones than GSM? Really man? LOL!!!!

Should I point out that just about every single one of the devices you listed had a GSM version first? Droid- Click, Hero and Eris (which are the same, by the way)- My Touch 3G, Touch Pro 2- come on, you know it was on GSM first, I had one in July on AT&T for crying out loud. It doesn't have a 3.5mm jack because it was made FIRST, before HTC started putting 3.5mm jacks in devices.

And there ar eliterally tons of GSM devices that CDMA doesn't have- including the device this thread is talking about, the HD2.

Where is the CDMA HD1? The CDMA HTC Kaiser? The CDMA HTC Universal? The CDMA G1? The CDMA google Nexus or whatever they are going to call it? The CDMA iPhone? The CDMA LG Expo, The CDMA Xperia (X1, X2, or X3)? The Garmin phone? CDMA versions of any of the Dell, HP, or Acer phones?

Seriously man, this is just the tip of the iceberg. This list can go on and on and on. You must be crazy to actually imply that CDMA gets more and/or better smartphones than GSM. It's not even close.

We are talking about the US, so yes I'm gonna say that smartphone choices are about the same. GSM gets most devices first OVERSEAS and then a few months ahead here, if that. Sure GSM has exclusives, but so does CDMA as I just pointed out. What happened to an open mind?

EDIT: Did you seriously try to say that the Droid, Hero, and Click are all the same?

BlackDynamite 12-30-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1449521)
so verizon isn't going to be considered cdma at all? Is the whole network changing altogether, even the voice service? Does this mean they could loose their nationwide best coverage title since this will be a new network? if the network isn't changing in that sense and only data coverage then its not going to make a big difference. Those are serious questions i don't know the answers to.

Verizon will still have a CDMA network, but they will also be launching an LTE network. Just like AT&T will still be GSM, but will also be launching an LTE network. And Sprint will still have a CDMA network, but is launching a WiMax network.

WisdomWolfX 12-30-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg (Post 1449509)

He didn't say Wimax was CDMA. He said that CDMA was still the network. Wimax is merely an addon for data services. I think you closed your mind a while ago and are now just blindly disagreeing with everything we say. :disgust: