PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Who plans to go HD2? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=103702)

BlackDynamite 12-30-2009 05:17 PM

Re: Who plans to go HD2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1448910)
If a tilt, a G-1 and a touch pro sucked then I guess.... bottom line is T-mobile has the worst service here by far.

I don't know about your particular situation, but I know I read posts about good service in Atlanta from all kinds of posters on Howard Forums. Maybe your house was in a dead zone or something.

WisdomWolfX 12-30-2009 05:22 PM

I will say this. T-mobile has done a great job at building out their 3G network in very short time. I will not argue with that. From a quick glance they appear to have almost equal, possibly even better 3G coverage than ATT already. Not as good as Sprint EVDO and certainly not VZW level coverage, but damn good in the short time they've had 3G.

brownhornet 12-30-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg (Post 1448953)
I don't know about your particular situation, but I know I read posts about good service in Atlanta from all kinds of posters on Howard Forums. Maybe your house was in a dead zone or something.

Dude...give it up lol. And it wasnt just in my house either, I got no service with T-mobile on hwy 431 all the way until I got to Anniston... with Sprint I get 3 bars. Between 285 South and 185 South I was constantly in dead zones... with Sprint no issues. I wont even mention the fact that I was in Fort Valley for their homecoming for a weekend and the phone was roaming the whole time. I'm not knocking T-mobile because im sure they have good service in some areas, but here... bottom of the totem pole and this isnt from reading something on or a forum or listening to something someone said.. it's from actually having had both services.

rorytmeadows 12-30-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1448971)
Dude...give it up lol. And it wasnt just in my house either, I got no service with T-mobile on hwy 431 all the way until I got to Anniston... with Sprint I get 3 bars. Between 285 South and 185 South I was constantly in dead zones... with Sprint no issues. I wont even mention the fact that I was in Fort Valley for their homecoming for a weekend and the phone was roaming the whole time. I'm not knocking T-mobile because im sure they have good service in some areas, but here... bottom of the totem pole and this isnt from reading something on or a forum or listening to something someone said.. it's from actually having had both services.

That's all fine. In a city that matters, like Philadelphia, T-Mobile has the best data connection in the country. Notice they left that out of the speed test results published within the last few weeks.

BlackDynamite 12-30-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX (Post 1448924)
Are you kiding me? The same thing happend with EVDO rev A. It was on data cards only when first released. It took quite some time before the Mogul (first revA device) was released, and even then it still took several months before the RevA ability was unlocked. As far as a case for device support. Sprint is expected to make an announcement in one week. Check back then.

As for the prominent CEO. That's a CEO for a company that doesn't make devices for Sprint (the only telco supporting wimax currently). Hardly an unbiased opinion.

Where to begin? Let me see...

#1: The PPC 6700 was the first EVDO phone on Sprint. The successor to the 6700 was the Mogul- the first EVDO Rev A device. I am pretty sure it did not sit for over a year before they got the first phone supporting that technology.

#2: He may have a biased opinion, but it is also an educated opinion. And not exactly a far fetched position either. It's basically the same opinion I came to (and many others as well) before I ever even knew he had that opinion.

WisdomWolfX 12-30-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg (Post 1449023)
Where to begin? Let me see...

#1: The PPC 6700 was the first EVDO phone on Sprint. The successor to the 6700 was the Mogul- the first EVDO Rev A device. I am pretty sure it did not sit for over a year before they got the first phone supporting that technology.

#2: He may have a biased opinion, but it is also an educated opinion. And not exactly a far fetched position either. It's basically the same opinion I came to (and many others as well) before I ever even knew he had that opinion.

Sprint launched EVDO Rev A in August 2006. The Mogul launched in June 2007, but did not get Rev A unlocked until early 2008 along with GPS functionality. Data cards supporting Rev A, however, were released alongside network launch in 2006. So yes, it's the same things as before as it took a year and a half from revA launch to device support. It is a DATA standard, so it stands to reason that it would start on data cards.

BlackDynamite 12-30-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1448945)
Umm.. you do know that the majority of the customers that Sprint has shed came from the Nextel side right? And shedding and gaining customers doesnt mean a damn thing considering how many customers AT&T was able to gain just by having an exclusive contract on the iphone....even with their dropped calls issue.

Now I cant say what T-Mobile is like everywhere else but hell.. here in Georgia you dont even get 3G with T-Mobile once you get south of Newnan.

#1: Sprint is not shedding nextel customers. Sprint is converting nextel customers to CDMA. They are losing millions of customers overall, and converting everyone they can to CDMA. They are not gaining overall. The majority of the CDMA gains are all existing customers from nextel being converted. This is why Sprint never claims they are actually gaining customers on the CDMA siode. You only hear that ridiculous argument on message boards like this because some fanboy a long time ago didn't know how to read a financial statement. So he posted it and everyone else just assumed he was right. Meanwhile Sprint's CEO is admitting the losses and saying it will eventually get better.

#2: I don't know what T-Mobile's 3G is in Georgia. But I do know T-Mobile is aggressively upgrading their network, so you can reasonably expect it to get better in places where it is crappy. Sprint, on the other hand, isn't exactly know for great coverage everywhere either, and they are not aggressivley upgrading their network. They are focusing on WiMax and that's pretty much it. So if you have crappy Sprint coverage, there is no reasonable expectation that it will ever get better. And there are plenty of people with crappy Sprint coverage. Heck, even my own Sprint coverage is barely tolerable. I can barely get a signal at all in my basement opr in the office tower where I work. Both places alternate between no bars on EV, and 1X. I get a good signal outside, but not indoors. And this is not only a major metro area, but in an office tower dowtown (where my AT&T had flawless service, I might add, and my coworker gets great service on his T-Mobile G1).

WisdomWolfX 12-30-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg (Post 1449046)
#1: Sprint is not shedding nextel customers. Sprint is converting nextel customers to CDMA. They are losing millions of customers overall, and converting everyone they can to CDMA. They are not gaining overall. The majority of the CDMA gains are all existing customers from nextel being converted. This is why Sprint never claims they are actually gaining customers on the CDMA siode. You only hear that ridiculous argument on message boards like this because some fanboy a long time ago didn't know how to read a financial statement. So he posted it and everyone else just assumed he was right. Meanwhile Sprint's CEO is admitting the losses and saying it will eventually get better.

#2: I don't know what T-Mobile's 3G is in Georgia. But I do know T-Mobile is aggressively upgrading their network, so you can reasonably expect it to get better in places where it is crappy. Sprint, on the other hand, isn't exactly know for great coverage everywhere either, and they are not aggressivley upgrading their network. They are focusing on WiMax and that's pretty much it. So if you have crappy Sprint coverage, there is no reasonable expectation that it will ever get better. And there are plenty of people with crappy Sprint coverage. Heck, even my own Sprint coverage is barely tolerable. I can barely get a signal at all in my basement opr in the office tower where I work. Both places alternate between no bars on EV, and 1X. I get a good signal outside, but not indoors. And this is not only a major metro area, but in an office tower dowtown (where my AT&T had flawless service, I might add, and my coworker gets great service on his T-Mobile G1).

I have to say that I won't fight you on these points. I can't say what T-mob's converage is like in my area, but I personally own an airrave so my cellphone is usable at home and I don't get a wimax signal inside my work building in the center of a place called Corporate Park in Charlotte. I worked for Sprint long enough to be semi-brainwashed and I won't leave as long as I keep SERO, but I do see good things coming from Sprint in the near future as well.

I'm trying to keep an open mind as much as possible in regards to the networks and their various pros/cons.

BlackDynamite 12-30-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX (Post 1449039)
Sprint launched EVDO Rev A in August 2006. The Mogul launched in June 2007, but did not get Rev A unlocked until early 2008 along with GPS functionality. Data cards supporting Rev A, however, were released alongside network launch in 2006. So yes, it's the same things as before as it took a year and a half from revA launch to device support. It is a DATA standard, so it stands to reason that it would start on data cards.

Actually Sprint launched EVDO Rev A on October 24 of 06, so basically November of 06. See the press release:
http://mobilitytoday.com/news/sprint..._launched.html

And Sprint launched the Mogul in June of 07.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...ul-smartphone/

We are over a full year with WiMax and not one single phone yet. In addition to that, no other major carrier has commited to WiMax, and prominent CEOs are predicting that WiMax will be a flop. Not even close to the same thing.

BlackDynamite 12-30-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1448971)

Well to you it may be real life experience, but to me (and everyone else) you are just someone on a message board. And like I said, there are hundreds of posts on message boards with people saying they love their T-Mobile service.