PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Wiredengineer
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Acer Iconia Tab!
Carrier: Sprint

PropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EXPERTS: Can you answer this question?

Ya.....this is something I dont quite understand. I have been flashing custom roms for years since the ppc-6700. All the sudden on TP2 some chefs ask you to flash stock, then clear storage, then flash custom rom. I am just not sure that really does anything for you not to mention the time involved in that effort, I never do this. I find it interesting that there is nothing definative and such a varying range of opinion on this even in this thread.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Personaly I think its more like the placebo effect. now with that said, if a cook says do it, it would be in your best intrests to. just my 2 cents.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: US Cellular

k0nkuzh0n is a n00b

I think the reason why it is suggested is because it can't hurt to do a hard reset and could possibly eliminate several mysterious causes of problems that happen so often in electronics.

It most likely roots from how memory works. if you "delete" a file from your hard drive, you don't erase anything, you just allow that location to be overwritten. I accidentally deleted my entire library of movies once on an separate partition (it was the only thing on it) . I was trying to wipe a flash drive and selected the wrong drive. I was able to recover every file through some program because the locations that contained all those files had not been overwritten yet (since it was only used as storage).

so "deleting" files when flashing roms may very well have fragments left over that could cause problems. unallocated ram is like the mysterious-beyond of computers and can cause problems if assumptions are made of it.

Hard reset I believe actually goes out and sets those important bits and bytes to ensure they are what they are suppose to be (no assumptions).

Last edited by k0nkuzh0n; 01-01-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:23 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley762 View Post
Personaly I think its more like the placebo effect. .
I agree.

I have occasionally done it when I was bored, but it never made any difference one way or the other.

~John
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 running MightyROM

tstretch is becoming a great contributor

i cant tell you why but I also can confirm that it fixes wierd issues... I had my TP2 hard resetting on me every 3-4 hours for a couple days. I tried 4 completely different ROMs and none of them fixed the hard reset issues (this was after using the new unlocker too) but flashing back to the stock rom, locking the phone, unlocking it, and then flashing back to my fav ROM fixed the issue. Ever since then I just spend the extra 10 mins and flash to stock and lock the phone b4 trying out a new ROM... Save yourself a lot of POTENTIAL headaches...
Old 01-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Wiredengineer
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Acer Iconia Tab!

PropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I agree.

I have occasionally done it when I was bored, but it never made any difference one way or the other.

~John
I think I agree also.........

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2