PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 12:20 AM
VIP Duck
Pocket PC: RAPHAEL / TOPAZ / RHODIUM
Carrier: Verizon

NinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
EXPERTS: Can you answer this question?

Why is it recommended to hard reset after flashing a custom ROM?

What is it that is possibly left behind by the previous ROM?

I am trying to solve a problem regarding an error message on Verizon and it was suggesting that flashing back to stock, then back to a custom ROM without doing a hard reset fixed it.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=98401

If there is something left behind, it may narrow down where I have to look.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:31 AM
AKA TEMPERBAD
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2/ N1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: EXPERTS: Can you answer this question?

It just seems to get ride of any old settings or anything in the little nooks and crannies of the system.... Its recommended but not really proven, I personaly hard reset as when I dont It seems to mess shit up.....
Old 12-27-2009, 12:36 AM
"MODS"
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2037 View Post

I am trying to solve a problem regarding an error message on Verizon and it was suggesting that flashing back to stock, then back to a custom ROM without doing a hard reset fixed it.

Thanks!

I find it leaves all my programming intact, as far as provisioning and server settings. Meaning whatever I had set is what remains. I have set mine to Home Only, as any other setting renders my device unusable because of the popup you are trying to figure out. So after flashing stock and then custom, that setting remains set to Home Only and I don't even have to do a *228 to get service. But if I hard reset after flashing the custom, these settings get wiped.

Not sure that this exactly the information you are after, but I'm willing to try whatever at this point to make a permanent fix for this. As my solution seems to only be a workaround that works for me. I can constantly produce this message where I live, if I don't set it to Home Only.

~My Ultimate WVGA Wallpapers Collection~
Donations accepted not expected!

Old 12-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

i never hard reset after flashing a custom rom and i never have any problems. just my 2cents.
Google is the next skynet
Old 12-27-2009, 12:56 AM
VIP Duck
Threadstarter

NinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the community

I know the registry in not maintained. The .VOL files are deleted.

Where are these magical settings that remain after a ROM flash being stored?
Old 12-27-2009, 12:57 AM
"MODS"
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
i never hard reset after flashing a custom rom and i never have any problems. just my 2cents.

Thanks P-Slim. However, what's trying to be figured out may somehow have a relation to those particular settings that go unchanged after flashing stock, then custom, without a hard reset. Not so much as to whether it is causing any general issues. This is regarding a popup notification that only seems to effect certain VZW users in certain areas.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85

Quote:

Thanks!
there has never been any hard evidence that hard reseting after a custom rom flash changes anything in the newly flashed rom or that anything is leftover from old images!! so just do it ,like so people warm there car up before driving and some dont!! i usally dont do it unless the chef says to in his/her rom instuctions!!

Old 12-27-2009, 01:43 AM
VIP Duck
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh85 View Post
there has never been any hard evidence that hard reseting after a custom rom flash changes anything in the newly flashed rom or that anything is leftover from old images!! so just do it ,like so people warm there car up before driving and some dont!! i usally dont do it unless the chef says to in his/her rom instuctions!!

I have always been under the impression that this was a myth. I am moving to dumping registries instead...
Old 12-27-2009, 01:49 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
I know the registry in not maintained. The .VOL files are deleted.

Where are these magical settings that remain after a ROM flash being stored?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh85 View Post
if the memory and driver mappings are different between the 2 roms, some of the old may survive and corrupt the new rom. however, with most of the custom roms all using the same kitchen and sys it's not an issue.

try not including some of the 'standard' cpl's in a rom and see if any stay..

(also it may make a difference with the flash method &or bootloader)
Old 12-27-2009, 02:06 AM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g
Carrier: Sprint

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL

Bah. It's a myth.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2