PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

HybridAndy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TP2: Use the Light Sensor to detect that phone is in pocket?

This used to drive me nuts on my phone as well. I download PocketShield a while back and have been very happy with it and paid for the full version. It has a light sensor unlock but I don't use it. I have mine setup so that I have to run my finger down the front of the screen (top to bottom) to unlock or pull the stylus.

I haven't pocket dialed anyone or added any cities to my clock since I started using it.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: n/a
Threadstarter

DeltaBlast is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBlazer01 View Post
Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50286; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

i'm sure about that. Try making a call, and put your finger over (about 1cm) just above the top left corner of the screen. You can't see it, but that is where the proximity sensor is. Still think it's a light sensor? Do this test in a dark room. How can your phone tell the diference between pitch black, and pitch black with a finger over the proximity sensor?

Now, there is also a light sensor. Put the screen on auto brightness, the shine a flashlight to the right of the speaker grill. That is where the light sensor is.

There, myth solved!

FYI, the new 6.5 roms have a feature that detects when the phone is in a pocket/purse, and will ring louder. Haven't gotten it to work, but it has it.
Okay, that makes sense. odd that it isn't in the manual then... if you look closely in the diagram, it is actually pictured, it's just not explained that that's a proximity sensor...

I've updated to the latest rom on the site, but there's nothing in the new features guide, nor anything I could find in the settings, about proximity lock for pockets and such

So far you've been the most helpfull though, thanks for that!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:59 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff
Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50286; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBlast
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBlazer01 View Post

i'm sure about that. Try making a call, and put your finger over (about 1cm) just above the top left corner of the screen. You can't see it, but that is where the proximity sensor is. Still think it's a light sensor? Do this test in a dark room. How can your phone tell the diference between pitch black, and pitch black with a finger over the proximity sensor?

Now, there is also a light sensor. Put the screen on auto brightness, the shine a flashlight to the right of the speaker grill. That is where the light sensor is.

There, myth solved!

FYI, the new 6.5 roms have a feature that detects when the phone is in a pocket/purse, and will ring louder. Haven't gotten it to work, but it has it.
Okay, that makes sense. odd that it isn't in the manual then... if you look closely in the diagram, it is actually pictured, it's just not explained that that's a proximity sensor...

I've updated to the latest rom on the site, but there's nothing in the new features guide, nor anything I could find in the settings, about proximity lock for pockets and such

So far you've been the most helpfull though, thanks for that!
No prob, glad to help! Yea, if you go to the settings tab, I think in the sound menu, there are 2 new options - 1 quiet ring when phone is movie (polite mode), and 2 - ring louder when in a pocket.

I'll take a screenshot in a min. I'm on the WiForums now, so I'll have to use the regular browser on the phone to upload.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:23 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff

Okay, so here's the screenshot. It's called Pocket Mode. I'm on the EnergyROM Leo WM 6.5.3.

phew, that was tough doing all this from the phone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CapScr0019.jpg (11.1 KB, 88 views) Click for barcode!
Old 12-10-2009, 02:32 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Does that feature actually work for you??

I have the "pocket mode" turned on in my phone, but I can't see that it actually does anything??

~John
Old 12-10-2009, 02:59 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!

No, I really don't notice it to work. I suppose I could sit it on the counter, and play with the proximity sensor, but I don't think it'll work.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vinterceptâ„¢
Carrier: Sprint SERO500 & Virgin Mobile

one80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to one80oneday

This tweak uses the TP2’s proximity sensor to turn of the screen when a finger or any object is detected in front of it. This would work a little like during a phone call, except it does not turn back on until you press a hard button.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=112471

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2