PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 08:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

aznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: The purpose of the design of the back cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
The VZ cover doesn't have all those ugly orange holes & it runs just as cool as the Sprint version (even with a seidio cover over it)

~John
The holes for Sprint cover is covered inside so it really doesn't work as ventilation. But he was talking about the plastic sheet inside the cover.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
The VZ cover doesn't have all those ugly orange holes & it runs just as cool as the Sprint version (even with a seidio cover over it)

~John
But can you strain veggies with your battery cover? Huh? huh?
I doubt that it's a heatsink...
It has the two functioning holes from the inside that let the sound out. Other than that... Heatsink was needed by the TP not the TP2
p.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II (WM6.5, MR2), Nokia 2630, Nokia 1661
Carrier: Verizon, Vodafone, T-Mobile

constitutionalist is becoming a great contributor

I agree with those who question the heatsink theory. Sounds nifty, but for one thing the TP2 runs cooler than did the TP1, and as others have pointed out, neither Sprint nor Verizon's back covers have any ventilation.

Also, my Verizon cover doesn't have any pieces of metal affixed to it, as was described by a couple users, which allegedly performs some sort of heat-mitigation task. Perhaps I misunderstood where that piece of metal is.

One thing I will also agree with that was posted in this thread is the risk of using some protective phone cases, as they also tend to prevent heat from escaping as efficiently and may lead to over-heating during calls.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:01 PM
SUPER GADGET ADDICT!!!
Pocket PC: Samsung GS2 Epic 4G Touch

japper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIP

I wonder how much money it cost for Sprint to hire some industrial design firm to make the battery cover? Is that why for retail the Sprint TP2 is $350 and the Verizon one which is very close to the international unlocked GSM version is only $199???

Please remember to THANK me if I helped you!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:11 PM
VIP Member

aznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by japper88 View Post
I wonder how much money it cost for Sprint to hire some industrial design firm to make the battery cover? Is that why for retail the Sprint TP2 is $350 and the Verizon one which is very close to the international unlocked GSM version is only $199???
I'm sure it's because verizon is trying to be more competitive with their pricing then they jack you with their rate plan. Comparing the back covers, looking at Verizons it should cost more. But functionality, the Sprint is better since it doesn't muffle sound as much when the phone's on its back. Ahh..maybe that's where the price difference comes from. lol.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:15 PM
VIP Member

There's really only 1 way to confirm if those plastic piece dissipate heat from the phone. Just leave the cover off if your on wifi or when it's charging. If the phone's still not hot then that isn't what those are made for.

I'm wondering if it's to provide more firmness to the back cover without affecting the overall thickness of the cover. Just where it's needed.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: RazrMaxx
Carrier: vzw

cbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:

~John
True that, the only time my verizon tp2 warms up a little is when I'm tethered for more than 30 min. Cool as a cucumber otherwise. Now the tp1 was almost always warm. I think some finely drilled holes in the back of the tp cover would have helped that heat issue.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:48 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro 2

inflewence is just getting started

I thought it was to disperse the sound somehow. like a speaker box. I'm a producer so I'm always thinking in terms of sound anyway.

I tested it and it sounds a slight bit difference but not enough for the normal ear to hear (not to say I got a bionic ear but I listen different, and that difference in sound could just be the cover itself vs open.)

It could be designed like that because they wanted to have it as a big speaker like they said, then couldn't find a practical way to implement it.

I could just be wrong on all accounts.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

It'd be funny if the back's design was purely for decoration

The mesh is probably 50% decorative & 50% to keep dust out. I like the design of the sprint cover, it's all artsy-fartsy. I'm thinking about dyeing the orange mesh purple though.

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
Old 12-04-2009, 09:59 PM
SUPER GADGET ADDICT!!!
Pocket PC: Samsung GS2 Epic 4G Touch

japper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIP

It might look artsy but it's not that professional looking, so I just use a nice black Seidio case to cover it up.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2