PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker

SINNN is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If gps gets released then im going to have to throw a pie at yiur face.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by divxrippimp View Post
For those of you saying they are waiting for the gps upgrade... its NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, no other phone with agps has EVER been able to be used as a gps for navigation... i think agps is like a very minimal one way chipset...

Just get a nice tiny gps device... i have one thats 1"X1.2"X.3" and it was 50 bucks, and it works from my pocket...
This is false. Partly.

aGPS on the 6800 is just like every other aGPS on Sprint except there is no API written for accessing it in WM5/6, which has to be done by Sprint.

The rumor is they will do this or have done this for WM5/6 but the catch is it's only for their TeleNav system to recoup costs of their network: so you'll have GPS/aGPS but you can't use TomTom or what have you, only the $2.99 day/$10 month TeleNav.

http://jeepx.blogspot.com/2006/03/qu...on-sprint.html

Back to RevA: its launched in more places now than Rev0 was when it was launched. This is just probably a Sprint "strategy" to have all devices RevA capable--so they'll phase out 700wx, MotoQ, etc for their replacements.

Heck, even the HTC Touch is reported as "Rev A upgradable" meaning that won't even launch with it in the next 2 months.

There is also the other explanation: HTC just doesn't have it ready yet.

Last edited by Malatesta; 09-18-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: AT&T

krohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
This is false. Partly.

aGPS on the 6800 is just like every other aGPS on Sprint except there is no API written for accessing it in WM5/6, which has to be done by Sprint.

The rumor is they will do this or have done this for WM5/6 but the catch is it's only for their TeleNav system to recoup costs of their network: so you'll have GPS/aGPS but you can't use TomTom or what have you, only the $2.99 day/$10 month TeleNav.

http://jeepx.blogspot.com/2006/03/qu...on-sprint.html

Back to RevA: its launched in more places now than Rev0 was when it was launched. This is just probably a Sprint "strategy" to have all devices RevA capable--so they'll phase out 700wx, MotoQ, etc for their replacements.

Heck, even the HTC Touch is reported as "Rev A upgradable" meaning that won't even launch with it in the next 2 months.

I believe that the blog post you linked is only refering to the J2ME API. The .NET framework does contain access to the actual COM component - there is a quite good programming example out there as a POC for .NET. The only question is if there is a library available for free (There are several commercial libraries you can purchase to read from GPS devices - not sure about aGPS but they advertise as if it will work) or if one will need to be written.

So, there is hope, but someone may have to put in some serious leg work to get it done.

edit: There does appear to be at least one free library that only requires the .NET Compact Framework: http://www.codeplex.com/SharpGPS - Now the question is whether or not the aGPS comm port spits out the strings or the app itself needs to do more work - *shrug*. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the actual Sprint GPS implementation can chime in.

Last edited by krohnjw; 09-18-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

riotek is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Figures, those bastards are to slow... I was hoping it would be out with the touch.
Previous Devices: iPhone 3G - iPhone 2G - HTC Touch Pro - Treo 800w - PPC-6800 - Treo 700wx - PPC-6700 - BlackBerry 7300 - Treo 700p - BlackBerry 7100i - Audiovox PPC-6600 - Treo 650 - Treo 600 - Treo 300 - Kyocera QCP-6035
Old 09-19-2007, 01:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Krusty_47 is a n00b
Well I just spoke with ecare about Rev A and GPS.

Sprint:
"Unfortunately, we have no immediate plans regarding the internal gps being able to sinc with map software as this is just not built in as part of the current device structure of this awesome new model at this time. I do apologize for the inconvenience."

And Rev A:

Sprint:

"The Rev A firmware update for the 6800 is expected to be available in 1st Quarter 2008. You should get a text alert or a bill insert about this when it is released."

SO yeah we have to wait at least another 3 months before we get it. This sucks.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

phillyphill39 is a n00b
my girlfriend who works for sprint, said she got an email stating that they were still testing it for the phones. I'll keep you posted of anything changes, i asked her to keep me informed on anythign about it.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:22 PM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan

TC1 is a n00b
Well, this might not be the "popular" view, but I have different feelings on this. I think it's all a matter of prioritizing what you really NEED as opposed to want you really WANT.

I'm currently getting almost T-1 speeds (>1Mbps) via EVDO in my area. For a PDA phone, this is freakin' awesome and puts Verizon to shame. I'm able to stream stuff, load web pages quickly, etc. Would it be nice to go faster? Sure. No one ever turns down more bandwidth But can I live without out it given my current speed? Yup.

What I really want HTC/Sprint to release ASAP is the ROM that will fix the BT and KB issues. These are the types of things necessary for everyday use of this device.

Rev-A would be nice.... but I'm wondering if it's going to be short lived considering that this time next year they are going to start rolling out 4G data networking in some form of WiMax.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

ebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
According to a Sprint network technician in my area, we already have Rev A here....and my Mogul is already updated. I tested on DSL Reports' mobile speed test and got 1.2MB/sec. That's Rev A spec speed.

I don't know how accurate all this info is about Rev A updates not coming until 2008. I seem to be getting it right now.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul

jejagua is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC1 View Post
What I really want HTC/Sprint to release ASAP is the ROM that will fix the BT and KB issues. These are the types of things necessary for everyday use of this device.
Best post I've read all day. I couldn't agree more. I would rather them fix things that are broken than delay the fixes to add new functionality.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Evo 3d

DonC is becoming a great contributor
B18,
Here is the number you were looking for:
Retention Department
1-877-775-4886

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan