PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigray327 View Post
There's a RAM expansion experiment gaining steam here. Has anyone here done any research in that field since September?
Unfortunately, all I see on that thread is people who won't take ppctech's "no" as an answer. Wanting it to happen doesn't make it feasible.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul
Carrier: sprint

pflatlyne is a n00b
Yes of course,becuase PPCtech says they cant do it,its just not possible. Of course we should beleive them,after all the are all knowing...

It may or may not be possible,but there is one piece of information that PPCtech has not told us. WHY is it not possible. I refuse to say it is not untill that question is answered anymore than I will say it IS possible untill I know how to do it.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul
Carrier: sprint

pflatlyne is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxor View Post
I finally found a good link. The RFR6500 and RFT6150 are gpsOne chips, which is AGPS, not standalone GPS. Sorry
I would like to see that link. According to qualcom the chips do both. From qualcoms website.

Key Functionality
  • Supports multiple modes of Assisted-GPS (A-GPS), which leverages GPS satellites and the cellular network for highly reliable positioning capabilities
  • Supports Standalone-GPS, which expands the availability of positioning capabilities to areas where cellular networks are not accessible
  • Supports gpsOneXTRA Assistance™ technology which provides enhanced operation for Standalone-GPS
  • Works in all types of terrains and dense metropolitan areas
  • Eliminates traditional lag to first “fix” on location
  • Supports IS-95A/B, CDMA2000®, CDMA2000 1X, CDMA2000 1xEV, GSM, GPRS, and WCDMA (UMTS) networks
  • Compatible with QUALCOMM’s QPoint™ positioning software for location servers as well as other servers
Additionally from the GPSone data sheet.

How gpsOne Works
The gpsOne technology functions in four different modes of operation. Chosen automatically or specified by software, the
four modes are Standalone GPS, Mobile Station (MS)-based, MS-assisted and MS-assisted/Hybrid. In the A-GPS modes,
gpsOne technology utilizes assistance data from a location server in the wireless network in combination with A-GPS circuitry
and software in the wireless device.
Note: The common term used by standards bodies for the handset/terminal device in CDMA2000 is "Mobile Station" (MS) and in WCDMA (UMTS)/GPRS/GSM/HSDPA/EDGE is
“User Equipment” (UE). For simplicity in this document, references to the handset/terminal will be "MS," but this use implies both MS and UE.
Standalone GPS: The GPS receiver calculates a position without using any assistance data and without a connection to
the wireless network.
MS-Based: The GPS receiver calculates the position using assistance data from a location server to increase cold-start
sensitivity and reduce the start time for an initial position calculation.
MS-Assisted: The GPS receiver uses assistance data from a location server to make measurements related to its distance
from the GPS satellites, then sends this information to the location server where the position is calculated. This mode also
increases cold start sensitivity and reduces the start time for an initial position calculation.
MS-Assisted/Hybrid: Wireless network information is added to GPS measurements as part of the position calculation by
the location server, integrating the relative strengths of GPS information and available wireless network location information
for increased positioning reliability in difficult GPS environments.

Last edited by pflatlyne; 12-25-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Super Delux Windoz9 6800+
Carrier: SARS, Avian Flu, Scabies

canospinach is keeping up the good workcanospinach is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to canospinach
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflatlyne View Post
Yes of course,becuase PPCtech says they cant do it,its just not possible. Of course we should beleive them,after all the are all knowing...

It may or may not be possible,but there is one piece of information that PPCtech has not told us. WHY is it not possible. I refuse to say it is not untill that question is answered anymore than I will say it IS possible untill I know how to do it.
I once asked about this and was told something along the lines of it being a hardware design/compatibility issue meaning even if you somehow changed it the PPC CPU would not recognize it.

They did some unusual things with the 6800. The ROM partitions are different formats etc. Being that it was designed at the end of the WM5 lifecycle they just dont seem to have been thinking long term design flexibility.

Are any of the other newer phones (post 6800) upgradeable?

Has anyone actually tried it yet? was it a sacrifice or a success?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:00 PM
bassic

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
iphone

how do I get the iphone soft ware on my 6800
Old 12-25-2007, 11:32 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

harrybozack is just getting started
Thanks for doing this!
Old 12-25-2007, 11:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint... wtf is this required?!

willpower101 is just getting started
use the big search button at the top of the forum. You took the time to register, and even to post in a topic completely irrelevant to your question, so take the time to search for "iphone".

More on topic. I hadn't seen this thread earlier, I know it's kinda old, but you should posts pics of the antenna side of the phone if you have them. Man, that bga ram chip is just BEGGING to be replaced. (I know bios upgrade etc prolly needed)

Oh, and flatlyne is correct. It's qualcom's gpsone in both the 6800 & 6900. Unless i'm mistaken it does and can operate in standalone mode and uses standalone as well as a-gps cell tower triangulation to plot your location better than either alone.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Airave
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Edwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wow, very nice dissection walkthrough.

Now I'd really love to see a dissection of the 6900 Touch next.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

Keir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to Keir333 Send a message via Yahoo to Keir333 Send a message via Skype™ to Keir333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxor View Post
This is what the bottom half of the phone looks like with the motherboard removed. You see three ribbon cables here. The very left one is for the keyboard, the middle one is for the screen and front panel buttons and the very right is the camera on its own little pcb. I have no idea what the small chip on the board is to the upper left of the keyboard connector is.
On the Alltel PPC6800, it's my understanding that the small chip located next to the keyboard connector is an interface for a flux capacitor.

Alltel promised me at the time I bought my phone, that there would be time travel capabilities coming in early 2008....I don't know if this was just something that the salesperson was telling me to try and make a sale, or if it really will be available in 2008 or not....anyways, that's my guess as to what that chip is.

Like I said, that is on the Alltel PPC6800, the Sprint version may be different though.

Does anyone know if Sprint is planning on having time travel functionality for the Mogul???

Last edited by Keir333; 12-26-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:22 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc mogul

temptnation is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keir333 View Post
On the Alltel PPC6800, it's my understanding that the small chip located next to the keyboard connector is an interface for a flux capacitor.

Alltel promised me at the time I bought my phone, that there would be time travel capabilities coming in early 2008....I don't know if this was just something that the salesperson was telling me to try and make a sale, or if it really will be available in 2008 or not....anyways, that's my guess as to what that chip is.

Like I said, that is on the Alltel PPC6800, the Sprint version may be different though.

Does anyone know if Sprint is planning on having time travel functionality for the Mogul???
Doc says YES!

"Hustle hard in any hustle that you pick"
"I smell something funny out here...smells like the devil's lettuce!"

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan