PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Programming via USB (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69834)

Vacs 05-26-2009 09:30 PM

Programming via USB

I have a unmodified xv6800 on Verizon. I'd like to install radio 3.42.50 as a first step towards getting my GPS working. The procedures I've found described here require formatting a SD card and putting the new radio on it using a personal computer, then moving the SD card in the phone to program it. I don't have a way to read or write to a SD card with my computer so I can't go that route. There are procedures for updating the boot loader and programming a new ROM via the USB but not for Radio upgrading. Is there a way to do it???

PS: Asked this question on the "Official Titan Upgrading Thread, http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33857&page=45" but I don't seem to be getting any answers. :scratch:

btonetbone 05-26-2009 09:36 PM

Re: Programming via USB

Flashing the radio via USB is really not a prefered method. I may be wrong, but I THINK the only way to do it is to flash the Alltel ROM that carries the radio. DO NOT let the customizations run after flashing (ie - do not touch the screen after flashing). Then re-flash to your stock ROM. You will lose all of your data and settings, as with any flash or hard reset.

The much better way is using your SD card. If you have a USB cable, simply use that to copy and paste the file from your computer to the SD card in the phone. Or you can download the file directly from the web browser on your phone. Flashing the file this way (using one of the radio only ROMs) will give you a seamless upgrade and you won't lose any data.

yearn 05-26-2009 09:54 PM

Try going here and just flash the most current Carrier stock ROM and it should update your Radio to a 3.42.xx which will enable GPS

http://www.htc.com/us/SupportDownloa...2&act=sd&cat=2

Vacs 05-26-2009 10:38 PM

Yearn, That is a link to a Verizon ROM. I don't understand. The Verizon Radio and their ROM wont allow GPS, that's what I have on the phone now. From what I read I need to unlock the phone by loading a new bootloader, install a radio from a carrier that don't cripple features on their customer's phones (like Sprint), not allowing customizations. Then put in one of several GPS capable ROMs, like those from DCD, or GGURUUSA or cook my own ROM from a Kitchen. The only thing I'm stuck on is doing the Radio without a PC with a SD card reader. I don't care about losing data if that just means contacts and old messages. Does anyone know if I can do the radio via the USP port somehow.

yearn 05-26-2009 10:44 PM

OK man, Try this
(1) Unlock your phone
(2) Flash this ROM--> http://www.htc.com/us/SupportDownloa...at=2&dl_id=114

(3) Stop it before customizations run
(4) Flash custom ROM of your choice
------------------------------------------------
This should work perfect and enable your GPS

Vacs 05-26-2009 11:17 PM

OK Yearn, You seem confident so I'll try it tomorrow. This phone was a gift so if I brick it I'm dead meet, gulp!! "What me...worry!" as a wise man once said.

chevyforlife 05-27-2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vacs (Post 937406)
OK Yearn, You seem confident so I'll try it tomorrow. This phone was a gift so if I brick it I'm dead meet, gulp!! "What me...worry!" as a wise man once said.

dude ive tried this same method flashing my buddies phone... it SHOULD work. and if he is half way to V.I.P status, im pretty sure you can trust him on this sorta stuff. if not take it from me, a veteran flasher... (haha no pun intended). just take a deep breath and just go for it....

~chevy

drewcam888 05-27-2009 08:32 AM

Ok so the stock verizon rom will allow gps no problem. No custom roms are needed but there is a catch. If you have active data plan account then gps is easier. If you don't have data then you need to do a couple things to allow the MR1 or MR2 to use standalone gps. Let me know if you want instuctions

Vacs 05-27-2009 01:35 PM

Yes Drewcam888 I sure could use the instructions. I've just been trying to follow the instructions given in the "Official Upgrading Guide" located here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33857. The instructions are ok guess, they basically say I must first "Unlock" the phone by using Olipro 2.40 via USB (or nuespl 2.47 via SD card). They say this will then allow me to update my radio rom to one that will allow GPS to work. I think most people use the later Sprint radio's (3.35 or later). I assume that Verizon radios higher than 3.35 still do not work, each carrier has its own revision numbering system.
Ok, then installing the new radio rom is the second thing to do but the only way they describe is via the SD card, which I can't do because I don't have an SD drive on my PC. The last thing to do is install a custom ROM and they give instructions to do this via the USB. They specifically say that the new radio is not compatible with the stock ROM. I quote them here: "
By the way don't worry about the phone failing to boot past the splash screen after you install the radio, because it won't. The radio you just put on is not compatible with the stock ROM. Once you have unlocked and installed a radio you are ready to load your custom ROM. So at this point you can use one of the Custom ROM's that are posted here at ppcgeeks.com, such as no2chems or DCD's , or you can venture into the world of building your own".

So that is where I stand. I'd just like to get my GPS working and be able to burn custom ROMs or use the kitchens if I want.

I DO NOT have a data plan and can't justify paying for one (out of work).

Here is the info on my phone:
ROM ver. 3.57.605.1
Radio ver. 3.37.75
PRL 51307
PRI 2.03_002
ESN xxxxxxxxx

If you can help that would appreciated a lot.

Vacs

PS:

drewcam888 05-27-2009 01:54 PM

Ok so you have a couple choices. You use standalone(No data plan) gps with your current stock rom or go to a custom rom. Which do you want instuctions for?
Assuming you want custom rom.
Here is tutorial for unlocking phone for custom rom http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33857 For gps turn location on under phone and then disable agps is registry under. local machine-software-htc-supl agps set enableagps to zero. Now use htc gps tool or gpsviewer for lock info

Vacs 05-27-2009 02:57 PM

Oh well, I guess I've come full circle. That tutorial for unlocking phone is the same one I keep referencing! To burn the radio in that tutorial the only procedure is via SD card. I keep saying I can't do it that way, I need a way that uses the USB port instead. There is a million Verizon users here with working GPS, does everyone have a SD reader/writer on their PC's?

drewcam888 05-27-2009 03:05 PM

Why do you need a sd writer on your computer?

btonetbone 05-27-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vacs (Post 938477)
Oh well, I guess I've come full circle. That tutorial for unlocking phone is the same one I keep referencing! To burn the radio in that tutorial the only procedure is via SD card. I keep saying I can't do it that way, I need a way that uses the USB port instead. There is a million Verizon users here with working GPS, does everyone have a SD reader/writer on their PC's?

If you have a phone, an SD card, a USB cabl and a computer, I can almost guarantee you can use them in combination as an SD reader/writer. No extra hardware necessary. Or, as I suggested earlier, download the file using your phone's web browser. You are way better off that way versus flashing via USB.

Vacs 05-27-2009 04:46 PM

I have an idea!

The tutorial says to first unlock the phone. For the SD method it says:
"The nice thing about nuespl 2.47 is that it can be ran using an SD card. The SD method instructions are fairly simple. You download the nuespl 2.47 to your PC. Take an SD card, must be 2gb or less in size, and place it in a card reader. On your PC navigate to the card reader through My Computer. Right click on the drive containing the card reader and select Format from the menu. Select fat32 as the format setting. Once the card is formatted you take the 2.47 spl you downloaded and place it on the card. It cannot be inside a folder it must be on the root of the storage card. Right click on the file and select rename. Rename the file to TITAIMG.nbh. Once the file is renamed place the SD card into the device and put the phone into bootloader mode (Power, camera, reset all pressed at the same time for about 2 seconds) and follow the prompts on the screen to update the spl."
Next it says to update to a new radio, it says:

"The following methods are how I did mine. You can download the latest Radio (3.42.30) ( Here is 3.42.40) and place the file (radio) on an SD card, rename that file to TITAIMG.nbh. Place the SD card into the device and put the phone into bootloader mode (Power, camera, reset) and follow the prompts on the screen to update the radio."

There is an alternate methode given for unlocking the phone using the USB but none USB alternate methode for the radio. Thats why I need an SD reader/writer.

BUT

Why can't I use activesync to store the file on the SD card and rename it. I cant do a fat 32 but would it work anyway?

Vacs 05-27-2009 07:31 PM

Well in an effort to get somewhere I ran OLIPRO 2.4 to unlock the phone so now in bootloader it shows SPL-2.40 like it should. It would not come out of b ootloader until I put a new ROM in there so I put in DCD's 4.1.2 ROM. I then tried my idea above with the latest radio and nothing happened when I went into bootloader. So now I have the phone unlocked, and one of the custom roms but no way to get a new gps radio put it. Is this a lost cause or what?? :angry7:

yearn 05-27-2009 07:46 PM

Just flash the Alltel ROM I posted the link for, then stop it before customizations run then flash back to DCD's ROM

Its easy man, your just nervous

Vacs 05-27-2009 10:02 PM

OK Nathan guess so, just one more thing before I pull the trigger please. It will stop with the screen alignment screen right? Then I do what? Take the battery out for awhile or soft reset? What do I do to terminate the customizations.

btonetbone 05-27-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vacs (Post 939317)
OK Nathan guess so, just one more thing before I pull the trigger please. It will stop with the screen alignment screen right? Then I do what? Take the battery out for awhile or soft reset? What do I do to terminate the customizations.

Do not align your screen after flashing to the Alltel ROM. That will start the customizations. Instead, when it says "Touch screen to begin" or whatever, hold the power + camera buttons and press the reset button. That will take you back to bootloader, where you can flash the ROM you want to use.

yearn 05-27-2009 10:41 PM

Thats exactly right man.

chevyforlife 05-28-2009 01:04 AM

WOOHOO!!!

~chevy

Vacs 05-28-2009 08:05 PM

Update on programming Radio's via SD cards. I thought I'd continue this thread until its done 'cause others may need the info someday.

My underlining problem was that I didn't have an SD drive on my PC. Well Radio Shack had a adaptor which can adapt a dozen or more types of media to USB. Plug in your mini SD to the adaptor and up pops your SD under "MY Computer" along with your other drives. The Titan uses an micro SD so you will need to get a separate micro to mini adaptor. These adaptors are common and often come packaged along with SD cards when you buy them. The device is called a "Universal 32 to 1 card reader/writer". It is made by Targus, www.targusdigital.com. Best thing is that it only costs me $7.00 at the shake!!

With that I was able to update the radio as described in the tutorial. I had the 3.42.40 radio, new bootloader, and DCD's ROM. The phone still worked but the GPS didn't. I tried all kinds of GPS programs, Google Maps, GPS Viewer, Live search,Visual GPSce, HTC GPS Tool. None of them worked.

I then finally followed the instructions given by Nathan and Chevy above. Phone still works but GPS don't just like before. Right now though I have a WM 6.5 Rom in the phone I want to flash a different ROM to make sure that is not the problem.

Any other suggestion would be welcomed.

Vacs

btonetbone 05-28-2009 08:25 PM

Verizon made it more tricky than other carriers to enable GPS and aGPS. Their most recent official ROMs can lock up your GPS even after re-flashing. I am not Verizon, but this seems like a fairly successful guide at unlocking your GPS.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=717

yearn 05-28-2009 09:04 PM

Did you make sure your location setting was "on"

Vacs 05-28-2009 09:21 PM

Ivan, I'll check that thread out, thanks

Nathan, Yeah, funny thing I couldn't find the location setting option in the rom I burned. Unless it isn't in wm6.5???!!! IDK Thats one reason I'm looking for another ROM to just put in. I don't wanna bother with making a kitchen just yet.

drewcam888 05-29-2009 08:38 AM

Please state if you are wanting agps or standalone gps. Also please give me your pri version which is under device information.

Vacs 05-29-2009 12:26 PM

Morning Drew and everyone,
I just want to use Megellon or some other navigation software. I don't want to use vsw's vz navigator program at $10/month. So if I don't need agps then the heck with it. I think the satellites lock up quicker with agps idk. I know the stand alone Magellon, Garmon etc..boxes don't have agps and they lockup well enough so why should we need it?

Right now my PRI is 2.03_002; ESN is 36624CFC and updated radio is 3.42.50, ROM is dcd 4.1.2. The esn and pri are the same as before I updated or changed anything.

About the ROM yesturday: The rom I copied (which was a wm6.5 rom) actually didn't have the "Phone" program in the Settings menu so I couldn't check the "location" settings. Anyway it didn't make any difference putting in the dcd rom.

I gave a quick read to the thread that Ivan suggested, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=717. Their procudure is quite long and includes everything I've done plus another 20 or so steps including several other programs, like QPST and Nam NAMES and also includes a bunch of registry edits. Is this what everyone on verison did to get gps?

drewcam888 05-29-2009 12:51 PM

You gps is entirely locked out. You need to roll back to a pregps rom to erase Verizon lock from MR1 and then go back to custom again. Steps are below and there is no way around it. Then just install agps cab and qpst settings or change registry for standalone.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...94&postcount=4

PS erase your esn you don't want to give that out. And just a note. You went through the whole process of buying some sd adapter when you can just use the phone to copy files to the sd card then flash and the sd adapter is never needed. And don't forget the thanks button on anyone posts who have helped you here.

Vacs 05-30-2009 04:26 PM

Hi everyone, hi Drewcam888

Had a little car accident and so I am just able to get back to this now. In trying to follow Drewcam's advice as shown below.

"Your gps is entirely locked out. You need to roll back to a pregps rom to erase Verizon lock from MR1 and then go back to custom again. Steps are below and there is no way around it. Then just install agps cab and qpst settings or change
registry for standalone."

I did the following so far:
1. Used "Titon relocker" to roll back the bootloader and relock the phone.
2. Used RUU to go back to early vsw radio. 2.09.605.8 (Radio 1.30.00).
3. After this the phone would give the message "unable to authenticate the phone" when I tried to place a call. Had to call vsw and get a new "a code". They questioned me on what happened but I just played dumb, which was not to hard for me, lol. I should have said I'm just trying to get my %^%#* GPS working!!
4. relocked the phone using OLIPRO 2.4 via USB.
5. Installed radio 3.42.50 alltel.
6. Installed a wm 6.5 rom. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=513166

My locaton setting is right, in the GPS Settings program, GPS port is 4, hardware is none, and baudrate is 4800, (so all those settings are right). The result of all this the GPS still don't work, shouldn't it be working at this point or did I
blow it already?? Also, my PRI is still 2.03_002 just like before when drewcam said my gps was locked out.

Going beyond those 6 steps I'm on more shacky ground as to know what I'm doing. From Drew's advice above I have these questions.

1. What is an "agps cab". Is that the rom from step 6 above?
2. I've never found any clear instructions for qpst settings, is that just for A-GPS?? Do I want GPS to just run Megellon?? Will my regular GPS work without messing with qpst setting??
3. "Change registry for standalone"?? I know how to change the reg. but what changes do I make?? Could that be all I have to do at this point to make GPS work??

Thanks for all the help so far... ](*,)

Vacs

yearn 05-30-2009 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Try GoogleMaps. Click Menu then click use GPS.
See if it searches or says something like cannot locate GPS reciever.
You may also see if you can find a QuickGPS cab and run it first

Vacs 05-30-2009 08:40 PM

Hi Nathan It says"Seekng GPS satillites(0)". After 5 - 10 mins. it says the GPS signal is weak, may be a prob with GPS. I dont think we can read anything into it.

Another thing, my son, giavonnie on this forum said he had Magellon working on this phone about 9 or 10 months ago. He said he don't remember how he did it but he members a program called valhalla He don't recall doing anything else but he said maybe he did. He then gave it to my other son who took Magellon off. Now its been given down to Dad (me) and when I got it none of the GPS stuff worked. Was there ever such a Valhalla program the enabled GPS on vsw??

drewcam888 05-30-2009 08:58 PM

Ok so you need to roll back again. You cant get gps with that PRI. Please roll back and check pri when using pregps rom. This is still why gps isnt working. Something must have happened and you got a bad flash. Also check gps using htc gps tool or gps viewer. If you want standalone gps on custom you must disable agps in registry under local machine, software, htc, ___agps .

Vacs 05-30-2009 09:49 PM

Ech! Ok but I guess I'd better wait a few days. I just got a new "A" code last night I'd better not ask them again tonight. You know I looked at the PRI after I went back to stock and it was different than it is now but I didn't write it down. I seem to think it started with a 1. What is it supposed to be anyway?
One last question (yeah right huh?), after I put in the GPS radio I go back into bootloader and install a custom ROM. Then the phone does its thing until it stops at a green window that says tap screen to set up your phone (or something like that). So I tap the screen and eventually I get the screen alignment screen (where you tap each corner to align the screen). Here is where I stop to prevent the custoizations from running right? Well no matter if I soft reset, hard rest, or even take out the battery it keeps coming back to the alignment screen. I have no choice but to tap each corner etc. After that it says customzations will run in 3 seconds then it looks like one or two programs run for about 3-4 seconds. Are these the customizations running? What would happen if they did run, would that stop GPS?? Are customizations just the roaming info??

drewcam888 05-31-2009 10:55 AM

You can call 5 times in a day. Just say you did a hard reset and you need the phone reauthorized. I have done it like 4 times in one day. Also customizations running for a custom rom don't effect gps. If you were to roll back then install MR1 or MR2 and let there customizations run then that kills you gps. PRI should be 1.35.002 when you install pregps rom. To stop customications. When window pops up and says they will start in 3 seconds push in the soft reset button on the bottom of the phone. Doing a hard reset wipes the rom and makes the customization run again.

Vacs 05-31-2009 11:08 AM

Morning Drewcam & everyone, Yeah maybe I will not wait, what is vsw going to do not give the "a" code? I wouldn't be doing this if it were not for their games. I'll do it in a cople of hours.
Vacs

Vacs 05-31-2009 05:15 PM

Well I did the rollback deal again. When I was in the stock radio and rom I checked the pri and it was 1.35.002 as you said. Then I unlocked and put radio 3.42.40 and the dcd rom in. The pri came up with 2.03_002 again and gps don't work.

btonetbone 05-31-2009 05:18 PM

Try using a different radio. I'm guessing that something is going amiss when you upgrade to that. 3.42.50 may be a better choice.

http://dcd1182.n715dp.com/titan/radi...%203.42.50.rar

Vacs 05-31-2009 06:16 PM

What!!!!!!!! breaking news!!! after about 1 1/2 hours running gpsviewer 4 satilltes showed up and we got a lock. I'm doing more testing later to see if is just a fluke.

PS: Hi Ivan, yes I have ... 3.42.50 not 3.42.40, that wa a typing error

Vacs 05-31-2009 08:39 PM

Well I took a drive with TomTom and it's working. So what was it that made it work?.... not sure yet, I made a reg. change and fooled with one other thing. I know that I didn't need to get a new "a" code this time, also this time I took the battery out to stop customizations right after the screen setup. Drew, the PRI is 2.03_002.

I want to load a cool ROM (with good dialer that has big number keys) and see if ll still works, then I'll know more.

Anybody have a ROM suggestion let me know.

Vacs 06-01-2009 05:26 PM

So this morning I Try TomTom and it almost found my position instantly, everything was working fine. This afternoon it cant find a lock on anything. Using "GPS viewer" and HTC GPS Tool for a while it would seem like there would be 4 to 6 sats showing on the display that would appear for a second then go off again, now I don't even have that. Nutz, it woud be hard to believe this culd be a propagation issue.

btonetbone 06-01-2009 06:39 PM

Now that you have GPS beginning to work on your phone, you may want to look in to enabling aGPS. It speeds up your lock time (even indoors) to just a few seconds. It uses a very slight amount of data to initially locate you, though, but that's only problematic for people who travel out of country or don't have a data plan.