PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Programming via USB (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69834)

Vacs 06-01-2009 07:40 PM

Re: Programming via USB

I don't have data plan, can't afford it. I actually asked vsw to lock out data on my account because people kept sending me pictures.

So you need to access data to use a-gps, I thought so. Data is out for me though.

Last night this thing would get a fix within 1-2 mins. and this morning it would lock up within seconds. It would work in my house and car with no problems. Now its been searching since my last post and has 0 satellites. Very strange, maybe these things (gps receivers in cell phones) just ain't that good without agps helping out. I could see the agps reducing the lock time from maybe 5 mins. to 30 sec. but I just cant see it taking hours to lock up even without a-gps. Also, satellite to ground transmission is usually pretty consistant. There is rain attenuation somtimes when the frequencies are up at 14 GHz and more but these frequecies are much lower, 1900 MHz or 1400MHz I believe. Besides we have clear skys here. This is very strage. IDK maybe the phone is just broken.

cac2us 06-02-2009 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vacs (Post 942834)
Morning Drew and everyone,
I just want to use Megellon or some other navigation software. I don't want to use vsw's vz navigator program at $10/month. So if I don't need agps then the heck with it. I think the satellites lock up quicker with agps idk. I know the stand alone Magellon, Garmon etc..boxes don't have agps and they lockup well enough so why should we need it?

Right now my PRI is 2.03_002; ESN is XXXXXXXX and updated radio is 3.42.50, ROM is dcd 4.1.2. The esn and pri are the same as before I updated or changed anything.

About the ROM yesturday: The rom I copied (which was a wm6.5 rom) actually didn't have the "Phone" program in the Settings menu so I couldn't check the "location" settings. Anyway it didn't make any difference putting in the dcd rom.

I gave a quick read to the thread that Ivan suggested, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=717. Their procudure is quite long and includes everything I've done plus another 20 or so steps including several other programs, like QPST and Nam NAMES and also includes a bunch of registry edits. Is this what everyone on verison did to get gps?

Hey,

Will somebody please advise Vacs to remove the "ESN"

cac2us:silent:

drewcam888 06-02-2009 08:47 AM

I already advised him on the ESN removal he didn't do it I guess. Also try to install quickgps. It helps on standalone lock times. Install then just open registry settings with a registry editor then copy over edited .exe.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...69&postcount=2

Vacs 06-02-2009 01:35 PM

Hey guys I Did remove the ESN soon after Drew said. Don't I always do what Drew says...... eventually?

Drew & everyone, last night I installed the quickgps (patched version) and after running it the gps locked up right away. Used wifi to get internet connection for quickgps to use. This morning gps wont lock again. Shouldn't that data that quick gps gets last at least a week?
So I tried running quick gps again this morning and gps still dont work.
I never did anything to the registry regarding quick gps because so far I'm not clear about the directions but I read them again.
Hey look at that I'm not "lurker" anymore, now I'm a Noob!! Party time!!

drewcam888 06-02-2009 01:44 PM

What is "didnt work". How long did you wait for a lock? Were you outside?

Vacs 06-02-2009 03:52 PM

During the morning I tried three runs of at least 1/2 hour each with the phone outside. I also tried twice while driving in the car 1/2each. (I had the top open on the car) . I just got home at 3pm (45 mins ago). I tried running quick gps again and got 5 sats which are red and come and go. I'm talking abut the compos screen in the HTC GPS TOOL program.

Vacs 06-02-2009 03:54 PM

now I have nothing showing at all.

drewcam888 06-02-2009 04:33 PM

Do you have agps disabled in the registry? HKLM/SOFTWARE/HTC/supl agps AGPS should be 0 not 1.

Vacs 06-02-2009 04:45 PM

Quick GPS.. I'm begining to think that QGPS is something I'm gonna want on this phone provided I ever get the gps working. I think the program is just getting the same info that a-gps does. The program says the data should be good for 7 days so if I had to run it once a week that's not bad. So maybe it would be good to gt those reg changes done.
In the quickgps.zip that I downloaded one of the files is named "quickgps.reg" . It has in it text that looks like it came from a registry file. What do I do with this???

I don't think this will solve problem but I'll give it try.

btonetbone 06-02-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vacs (Post 950706)
Quick GPS.. I'm begining to think that QGPS is something I'm gonna want on this phone provided I ever get the gps working. I think the program is just getting the same info that a-gps does. The program says the data should be good for 7 days so if I had to run it once a week that's not bad. So maybe it would be good to gt those reg changes done.
In the quickgps.zip that I downloaded one of the files is named "quickgps.reg" . It has in it text that looks like it came from a registry file. What do I do with this???

I don't think this will solve problem but I'll give it try.

A .reg file contains registry changes that you can either import using a program, or add manually (after deducing what the text inside there means). A good program to import .reg files is called SKTools; the free trial (www.s-k-tools.com) should have enough functionality to add it.

drewcam888 06-02-2009 04:51 PM

Did you check the registry entry i suggested?

Vacs 06-02-2009 07:03 PM

Hi Ivan thanks,

Yes Drew I did the reg change in your post number 10, disabled agps. I just check3d it and its still "0". I just had the phone outside for 1 1/2 hours running HTC GPS tool and picked up nothing. Then I just now brought it in the house and restarted it and have 3 green balls and two red balls. Those are the only green balls I've had all day.

Vacs

Vacs 06-02-2009 07:12 PM

Finally got 4 sats., now I can go and get a six pack

Later

yearn 06-02-2009 07:22 PM

glad you got it worked out!
I dont really think you'll ever get REALLY good GPS but as long as you can get 4 sats your good.
And at least you have wifi even if you dont have a data plan.

Vacs 06-02-2009 09:03 PM

Hi Nathan
Yeah as you can see I got the gps working but only intermittently. It took all day of trying to get it to come on today, yesterday it worked only for a few hours, well you can read the entries you missed if you want. Its been working since I went to the store after my last entry. I'm thinking of letting the gps viewer program run all night to see what happnds. There must still something wrong, as it is I wouldn't depend on it to get me anywhere.

yearn 06-02-2009 11:13 PM

When we all first figured out how to unlock the gps on our Vogues and Moguls and before Shadows fix popped up the gps was to say the least unreliable. But once 6.1 came along and the agps fix popped up it worked awesome!
I seriously doubt you have a hardware issue, your phone alone just isnt a very good gps reciever without data to help it along.

If you are ever able to get a data plan you will see what I mean, the Mogul is capable of very impressive and reliable gps signals.

drewcam888 06-03-2009 06:07 AM

Verify in the registry that quickgps is placing the xtra.bin gps file in window directory. It was one of the edits needed to make the program work right.

yearn 06-03-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewcam888 (Post 951942)
Verify in the registry that quickgps is placing the xtra.bin gps file in window directory. It was one of the edits needed to make the program work right.

Without data i dont think he can even do the weekly download reqquired by quickGPS.

drewcam888 06-03-2009 10:16 AM

Yes he can do the downloads. With either wifi or usb activesync connection.

yearn 06-03-2009 10:20 AM

HEY!I just remembered how I used to test the GPS on my 2nd Vogue without service(data).
get everything setup and establish an ActiveSync connection and your phone will have data through the AS connection.

So do Shadow-techs agps fix, hook up to AS and download QuickGPS then test out youp gps with GoogleMaps while still hooked to AS.
If all goes well you should see 6-12 sats in under a minute.

I know this method works on the Vogue so im sure it will work for you.

drewcam888 06-03-2009 10:40 AM

The agps requires a carrier data connection nothing else should work. And even if it did work that kinda defeats the purpose of gps because you are now teathered to a computer or wifi for gps to work. If you want standalone then don't follow the agps setup.

yearn 06-03-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewcam888 (Post 952161)
The agps requires a carrier data connection nothing else should work. And even if it did work that kinda defeats the purpose of gps because you are now teathered to a computer or wifi for gps to work. If you want standalone then don't follow the agps setup.

Im not sure about the carrier data part, I just know that on my Vogue it would lock up in seconds as long as I was connected to AS.
And your right its pointless to have to be connected to your PC to get quality GPS but if hes concerned about a problem with the device then this will tell him if it will work correctly with aGPS. which I think it will.

Vacs 06-03-2009 05:35 PM

Hi Drew, Nathan et. al.

First let me say this. As you remember the gps finally came up last night after many hours of waiting. After it started working again I decided to test it out. I left the htc gps viewer application running all night until about noon today. I would also bring up TomTom every so often during this time and it worked great. The viewer had 4-6 green balls plus 2 red balls most of the time, inside my house. I had to go out at noon so I took it out on the road and it worked fine. On the way home as a test I stopped at a k-mart and while running TT went into the store. The signal was lost as soon as I went in the door as I expected, cement builing with metal roof. After shopping, TT relocked before I got 20 steps outside the store. I got home at 2pm and it was still working. So it had been working from 7pm last night to 2 pm today. Now I want to leave it off to at last 10 PM and see if it locks again, then turn it off again until the morning. So that's where it stands right now.

Drew, the registry thats on the phone does not say anything about the xtra.bin file but there is an xtra.bin file in the windows directory right now. To be sure it came from qgps I deleted it. I then ran qgps and a new xtra.bin apeared in windows.

I still did not try to update the registry with the changes that came in the quick gps. "reg" file. I want to finish the test I'm doing first. I did note that the text of the .reg file does mention the xtra.bin file however.

FYI that SKTools demo will only let you do 6 lines at a time but that .reg file must be about 60 lines long so I might as well try to do it by hand. It looks like the non-demo version of sktools can make cab files and that it would be possible to make a cab file that would make all these reg. changes. I wonder why nobody ever did that.

Nathan
I've have had gps running okay on googlemaps while on the internet via WiFi a number of times. googlemaps was able to download its (map) data if thats what you mean. I would really be surpise if quickgps couldn't download data from the internet via Wifi as well.

Oh on a second read of your posts I think your objective is for me to be able to simulate having agps. You wrote:

"So do Shadow-techs agps fix, hook up to AS and download QuickGPS then test out youp gps with GoogleMaps while still hooked to AS.If all goes well you should see 6-12 sats in under a minute."

(I think you mean "run quickgps" instead of "download QuickGPS".)

I don't know anythng about shadow-tech's agps fix, this is the first I've ever heard of it, but normlly quickgps is going to go to some web site to get sat. info then send it back to me via the internet. I'm not sure how your idea would get around this and use agps signals/data but let me keep this idea in my "back pocket" for now until I can study it more.

Vacs

yearn 06-03-2009 05:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My QuickGPS on my Diamond has to be redownloaded every week, its set up to automaticly do it.
This is Shadow-Techs fix. It works miracles but I think you would need data for it to work-->

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36377

heres something else to try, I think its similar to QuickGPS. Its what I used on my Vogue before doing the fix and it always seemed to help.

If you choose menu on googleMaps then click use GPS it will start looking for sats and show how many its locked.(see screenshot)

Vacs 06-03-2009 06:17 PM

Ok, I didn't have to wait until 10pm. I turned it on 20 mins. ago and no balls showing. So I conclude:

1. This is not a problem of signal strength.
2. When the gps works it is just a matter of the phone managing to find some satillites, which can take hours, when it does then as long as the gps is on everyting is fine.
3. When the gps is turned off for some period of time it loses the birds and the whole process must start over.
4. The quickGPS may or may not be working. It is an unknown.

Ok... how do I fix this.. :drunken:

Also, is there anyone out there who is on vsw and has their gps working without agps. I'd just like to know if I'm the only one to try this or if others have been sucessful. =D>

yearn 06-03-2009 06:25 PM

Did you try the SeaSGEE cab I gave you?
You may also try over here-->
http://www.ppchaven.net/

Theres several VZW users over here, although its primarily Vogue users keep in mind the Vogue and Mogul are very very similiar devices, the vogues got a little more memory and the Moguls got a keyboard and wifi and thats bout it.

Theres been ALOT of VZW GPS topics over there so just start browsing around.

yearn 06-03-2009 06:55 PM

heres another thread you might find helpful-->

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=70409

btonetbone 06-03-2009 09:36 PM

Hi Vacs -
Part of the issue is also going to be that your GPS will either be "hot" or "cold" on each start of a program. It's been a while since I've seen this discussed, so some of this may be slightly off. But here's the basics:

When you prime your GPS by running something like GPS Viewer, you are going to make starting Tomtom very easy. Your GPS is hot. Once you leave the GPS off for a period of time or restart your device, you will have a cold start and it will take a while once again to find a lock.

Now you may be thinking "Why don't I leave my GPS on at all times then?" There's a flaw here. Firstly, it will kill your battery pretty quickly. Secondly, there's a failure SOMEWHERE in the GPS chip when the device goes into standby mode (when the screen goes dark, and the phone enters a sleep mode). After your device goes into Standby with the GPS on, your GPS freezes. You will need to soft reset. I remember getting very frustrated with a program called GPSToday, which sat on my home screen, told me my current street address, distance to nearest contact, current weather, current MPH, etc. It would work great for a while and then fail. Someone told me about the flaw and it matched ever problem I had been having.

So keep this stuff in mind when you are using the GPS. It's going to be pretty flaky, but you can make it work. When you've got a good lock, keep the phone awake (maybe a good idea is to get a charger for your car, and change the Power setting to keep your phone out of standby when connected to external power). A soft-reset will also bring it back to life, but then you are starting cold again which will take time.

I hope this helps!

EDIT - Also, if you email me the .reg file, I will use SKTools to turn it in to a cab for you. Zip the file, and email it to my username here at hotmail.

drewcam888 06-04-2009 08:45 AM

I use standalone all the time and get locks usually in under a minute if I am outside. Please check your qpst and registry settings. Maybe they may help. Look in the below post for my settings around post 35. Are you still using prl of 2.xxx. Because If so I kinda think this might be a partial cause. Also look for baf gps toggle. It is a good program to toggle gps on and off from the home screen.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=458923

Vacs 06-05-2009 11:05 PM

Lots to study but I'll be gone for a week, later