PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: Cricket

Steewped is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Steewped
the mogul that went for the swim

Well my mogul went in the water and very salty water at that (epson salt for my foot) it was in for less then 3 seconds I was quick it rebooted under the water I saw it I snatched it out took the batter out as fast as I could and it seemed like it barely got wet. I shook it didnt seem like any water came out. So I put it on my heater for a lil bit and put the battery back in. It booted and looked crazy. So I decided to see if I could load a new rom on it. I did it took it then the touch screen didnt work couldnt get past the calabration. the caps and fn light were always on and the blue light next to the email before you turned it on. So I took out the two screws in the back of the screen I could see and popped it open as much as I could and put it in the toaster oven at 200 degrees lowest it would go. I left the door open lol. 10-15 minutes of toasting I took out my freshly baked phone and placed the battery in it. well no extra lights on so I hit the power button and it calabrated just fine.

****Update**** hour later
I asume the salt is going to kill it but its been plugged in chargeing keeping it nice and warm the down arrow key started working again and the camera is fully functioning and taking pictures. Wish I could swap it out it was given to me by a friend they had it for a month and switched to a touch pro I've had it less then a week So as of now everything works see how long it takes before it bricks

****cupple hours even latter****
Well it works better then it did in the first place lol. Anyone have any guess to when its going to give up remember it was salt water and hot really salty water to

****next day****
turned off wouldnt turn on without the battery being taken out and put back in keyboard was screwy for 30 seconds all seems fine now. seems like alot of calls are going strait to voice mail that might be from a running app not sure. Moral of the story don't drop your phone in a bucket of epson salt water. The phone will soon be up for parts if anyone wants it I'll use it till its dead.

Last edited by Steewped; 02-04-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Treo 800w
Carrier: Sprint

ryu hayabusa is becoming a great contributor
Re: the mogul that went for the swim

eventually its going to quit working i would suggest taking it to your nearest repair center while it is stilldry and getting it swapped before it shows too much liquid damage
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

You are one lucky person. Salt water is a killer.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

BigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good work

If you're trting to save it, or at least clean it up for return, I can recommend something: disassemble the unit C O M P L E T E L Y. Blow as much water off as you possibly can, but don't start wiping everything down with towels and the like. Go to a hardware store and get a product made by LPS. It's called PreSolv. It is a citrus based cleaner and degreaser. It will not damage electronic components at all. Be sure to allow it to fully dry/evaporate. It isn't like contact cleaner that dries really fast. This stuff dries really slow. But it works great! I use it severeal times a week and the machines I work on could buy 1000 TP's for people on this site... at full price. If nothing else, it may not save it but it may clean it up well enough to return it.

Last edited by BigDinCA; 02-03-2009 at 04:47 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Steewped is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
If you're trting to save it, or at least clean it up for return, I can recommend something: disassemble the unit C O M P L E T E L Y. Blow as much water off as you possibly can, but don't start wiping everything down with towels and the like. Go to a hardware store and get a product made by LPS. It's called PreSolv. It is a citrus based cleaner and degreaser. It will not damage electronic components at all. Be sure to allow it to fully dry/evaporate. It isn't like contact cleaner that dries really fast. This stuff dries really slow. But it works great! I use it severeal times a week and the machines I work on could buy 1000 TP's for people on this site... at full price. If nothing else, it may not save it but it may clean it up well enough to return it.
There is no return was a used sale I bought it to flash to cricket.
1 l7 thats water dammaged.
1 Dare that works 100% yea aint broke it yet
Old 02-04-2009, 02:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

BigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good work

Oh! Then you're on the SOL program! Why didn't you say so? Well, if you're trying to keep it working, that stuff works great. If it works on my lasers, it will work on a cell phone. If nothing else, you can always part it out. People can always use new cases and screens, if they're still in good shape.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

af1xme is a n00b

made a post about it a while ago, similar experience, except mine happened to go for a dip on the beach. not full submerged, the waves just crashed towards the lower bottom of my shorts pocket.

people recommended rice, but it was already too late for that im sure. i bet your screen keeps scrolling after you boot it up? my phone had the same lighting problem, however, after a while i just left it alone, and it worked again, except that the scrolling thing was there. i ended up getting another mogul though.

if youre feeling adventurous, try to dip it back into say distilled water, and then try the rice method hah ..
Old 02-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Steewped is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by af1xme View Post
made a post about it a while ago, similar experience, except mine happened to go for a dip on the beach. not full submerged, the waves just crashed towards the lower bottom of my shorts pocket.

people recommended rice, but it was already too late for that im sure. i bet your screen keeps scrolling after you boot it up? my phone had the same lighting problem, however, after a while i just left it alone, and it worked again, except that the scrolling thing was there. i ended up getting another mogul though.

if youre feeling adventurous, try to dip it back into say distilled water, and then try the rice method hah ..
Yea the downward sprial as it always scrolled down yea it did that for a bit got that to stop it was the down arrow key it wouldnt work at all but it would be stuck down I attacked it with some compressed air. Its been good all day today. Yesterday it decided to auto complete everything also that has stopped everything works. It magicly turns off or freezes up but that may be do to the zillion games installed on it. I've had to take the battery out of it twice now. but its still alive
Old 02-05-2009, 09:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

for future reference, turning it on right away was probably not the best idea... i'd have let it dry using ur methods plus rice for 24 hrs.... dissasembled of course.

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Steewped is a n00b

well it is what it is now i went to take it apart but when i took the screws out of the bottom it didnt seem to want to come apart. I couldlnt wait so toaster oven it was seems ok now but only time till the salt gets it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan