PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 04:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul
Carrier: sprint

pflatlyne is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: heat + power drain in wifi adhoc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
If by plugged in, you mean to your laptop, you're actually correct. The USB charge is a slow trickle charge, and more than likely you're draining your battery faster than it's being charged.

Thats been going around for awhile now and its completely incorrect. The USB port has enough power to run the phone with wifi and EVDO just fine. Whats happening is the phone is overheating. Its a well known problem.

The mogul generates alot of heat. The battery has a thermal cutoff in it. When it gets to hot, the battery stops charging and the yellow light starts blinking.

It helps if you take the back off the phone and open the keyboard to help the phone cool. If you set a fan blowing on it,it fixes it almost completely. (I'm trying to get a fat back battery cover so that I can mount a 4mm thick fan I bought on the battery to solve it once and for all. With a temperature switch,it wont even drain the battery as it will only run when the battery overheats on the charger)

You will sometimes find that the phone overheats and then you let the phone cool off,take the back off and open the keyboard,but it still has problems. Whats going on here is that the battery is already discharged. Charging the battery generates even more heat. The heat from the phone,plus the wifi plus charging is too much and the phone stops charging again.

Sometimes this even happens when the wifi is off depending on the ambient temperature,but its not as common. I suggest you complain loudly. Its unacceptable that the phone was release like this. It just dissipates to much heat. In fact,if the battery is dead,it can have this problem just taking on the phone which is rather irritating. Who ever heard of a phone that you cant plug into the charger when the battery goes dead to keep talking. Ive send mine back twice for overheating and they keep sending me another phone. My hope is that I can talk them into upgrading me to the new model after the sixth or sevent replacement. =)
Old 06-04-2008, 01:28 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if newer phones like Diamond, Raphael and Instinct have these kind of issues as well or no?

my phone:
________
Motorcycle Tires

Last edited by gTen; 04-14-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

LoneSnark is keeping up the good workLoneSnark is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

This seems like a reasonable restriction, just don't wifi unless the battery is already charged.

However, if I begin using the wifi for ICS then plugging it into a USB port just keeps on draining. If the battery was low (30%) when I started and then I use it for awhile, if I unplug it from the USB when I finish then the battery says it has been drained completely and must be recharged. Sure, the app uses a lot of power, so stop charging. But can't the phone itself subsist on USB power?

Either way, it is still a great phone, I don't mind letting it charge before engaging in such practices

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan