PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: heat + power drain in wifi adhoc?

it's the excessive battery drain and charging, I get this often while using slingbox to stream video with it plugged in (without wifi even on), and the device simply gets too hot.... the solutions mentioned are good and maybe even just aim a fan at it and/or take off the battery cover....

also, prop it up so that the bottom of the phone is not touching a surface, especially fabric or something, as this will be very insulating....

I wouldn't worry about it exploding. The battery contains a circuit that will kill the battery if it gets into that temperature range. The phone will probably shut off before that happens anyways...

Note however, that heat especially while charging will reduce the life of the battery. While a couple of times is probably not a big deal, if you are overheating it daily, you'll probably significantly reduce the length of time your battery will last.....

Last edited by holo; 06-01-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:01 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

That sounds a bit odd... it maybe your phones internals. I would suggest buying a new faguglyfarchen board.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby50 View Post
That sounds a bit odd... it maybe your phones internals. I would suggest buying a new faguglyfarchen board.

naw it's totally normal when doing something that is a big drain on the battery and charging at the same time....
Old 06-01-2008, 09:18 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holo View Post
it's the excessive battery drain and charging, I get this often while using slingbox to stream video with it plugged in (without wifi even on), and the device simply gets too hot.... the solutions mentioned are good and maybe even just aim a fan at it and/or take off the battery cover....

also, prop it up so that the bottom of the phone is not touching a surface, especially fabric or something, as this will be very insulating....

I wouldn't worry about it exploding. The battery contains a circuit that will kill the battery if it gets into that temperature range. The phone will probably shut off before that happens anyways...

Note however, that heat especially while charging will reduce the life of the battery. While a couple of times is probably not a big deal, if you are overheating it daily, you'll probably significantly reduce the length of time your battery will last.....

Yeh opening up the keyboard just wans't enough...I'm already on the part of aiming a fan at it and thought about opening the cover but decided not too cause the location fo the fan may make battery fall out fairly easy.

I'm guessing then our cellphones aren't like laptops that don't need battery while plugged in ha? I wonder with all the mogul covers they got, do they have one with fans? lol

and yeh it is overheating daily which is why I am worried ..it didn't do so in the winter..but toward spring it got more and more prone to do so.
________
Asian Kissing

Last edited by gTen; 04-14-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6800 (Mogul)

NF-1087 is a n00b

I used that same app for one day and I noticed the phone would overheat while charging because that app is not battery friendly. So I would turn the air on and place the phone over the air vent while it was charging. Now I had to freeze the house but it worked.

I was glad I only used it for 1 day, since I had to wait for my DSL to get fixed. Ill only use that app again when I really need it.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF-1087 View Post
I used that same app for one day and I noticed the phone would overheat while charging because that app is not battery friendly. So I would turn the air on and place the phone over the air vent while it was charging. Now I had to freeze the house but it worked.

I was glad I only used it for 1 day, since I had to wait for my DSL to get fixed. Ill only use that app again when I really need it.
Yeh..but apparently, some experience this issue while just using wifi without wmrouter..whether wmrouter makes it overheat faster then wifi I don't know..but the issue is still there :/
________
Herbal Vaporizers

Old 06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6800 (Mogul)

NF-1087 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Yeh..but apparently, some experience this issue while just using wifi without wmrouter..whether wmrouter makes it overheat faster then wifi I don't know..but the issue is still there :/
Oh ok, I must have missed that. I don't have that problem with just using WIFI, only when using wmrouter.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TYTN II
Carrier: AIRTEL

babudpoa is a n00b

hey guys,

i have a tytn II, it has the same problem, charge+wifi =over heat, absolute, try whatever way u want it, the phone willl get hot. if you use the wifi alone no overheating, if u just charge the set no overheating, if u charge the set and use just apps, or play games it gets mildly heat, but use charger+wifi it goes over the scale, infact i used a thermometer to check the temperature it was 87 Degrees, quite hot isn't it?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

starfury1 is a n00b

I had noticed this a long time ago. it really doesn't take much cooling to keep this from happening. I actually just taake an ice pack. and sit the phone on top of it. works like charm =)
Old 06-02-2008, 05:05 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfury1 View Post
I had noticed this a long time ago. it really doesn't take much cooling to keep this from happening. I actually just taake an ice pack. and sit the phone on top of it. works like charm =)

Yeh, I set the fan on my phone and its working great other then I'm down 1 fan..but hey its me or the phone..sacrifices must be made..lol

But that is a design flaw I hope HTC fixes in future phones :/...preferably making them similar to laptops where the battery isn't charged directly.
p
When opening it up while hot I realized its actually the battery thats the hotest, thus the source of overheating. Probably due to charge + use up alot of energy at once.
________
ZX14 VS HAYABUSA

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan