PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: Streaming TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmhusa View Post
$230 buys you remote TV access from any PC that you can install slingmedia software on or that recognizes a USB key (with the software copied over from a PC). So take your TV, Streaming audio channels etc anywhere you travel. It's not just for your phone. And at $200 it is the cheapest remote TV package that works pretty much out of the box.
Don't get me wrong, I hear you. But I just can't imagine needing to watch TV from a computer or my phone bad enough to spend $230. I have a 100 hour DVR for a reason. And I guess for me, I am just too busy. Hell, right now I have shows from last week that I haven't even watched yet on my DVR.

But then again, I am an IT Manager and work 50+ hours a week. I am also married and have four kids. So the only free time I have anymore that is not spent with my family is spent with my Xbox 360. And that my friend does not happen often enough. So for me it is certainly not an issue of cost but rather time... and I know my lack of free time would make this a wasted purchase for me.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

sHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Ok, its capslock time cause this is stupid.....

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO BE SCAMMED INTO SPENDING $200+ ON A ****ING SLINGBOX. GO BUY A ****ING TVTUNER FOR YOUR COMPUTER FOR $50 AND USE ORB.COM TO STREAM FROM YOUR COMPUTER TO YOUR PHONE. NOT ONLY THAT BUT THAT INCLUDES DVR...BECAUSE YOU CAN SIMPLY RECORD RIGHT TO YOUR COMPUTER...AND THEN STREAM IT BACK THROUGH ORB. OR YOU CAN WATCH LIVE TV. Get the point? ****, you could buy a dedicated 160gb hard drive AND the tvtuner for half the price of the slingbox, and all of the sudden you have (gasp) DVR anywhere + live TV anywhere. How the hell do you think I watch football games when I get sent to Japan for months!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

nmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Cool Re: Streaming TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sHockz View Post

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO BE SCAMMED INTO SPENDING $200+ ON A ****ING SLINGBOX. GO BUY A ****ING TVTUNER FOR YOUR COMPUTER FOR $50 AND USE ORB.COM TO STREAM FROM YOUR COMPUTER TO YOUR PHONE. NOT ONLY THAT BUT THAT INCLUDES DVR...BECAUSE YOU CAN SIMPLY RECORD RIGHT TO YOUR COMPUTER...AND THEN STREAM IT BACK THROUGH ORB. OR YOU CAN WATCH LIVE TV. Get the point? ****, you could buy a dedicated 160gb hard drive AND the tvtuner for half the price of the slingbox, and all of the sudden you have (gasp) DVR anywhere + live TV anywhere. How the hell do you think I watch football games when I get sent to Japan for months!

WOW whats with all the CAPS !!!
Cool it. anyone can use whatever method they like. Each of us has our priorities.

Yes, you can build your own DVR using a PC, with a tuner that is "always on" and never crashes etc etc. Or you can buy a $200 box, plug it into a TV and watch streaming TV without all the configuration issues of a homemade DVR. When the power goes out or glitches, the unit restarts with no interruptions, unlike a PC that needs to be restarted from remote (Japan).

Each has its pros/cons.

No need to lose your temper. The whole purpose of this forum is for people to read what works for others, and not for any one of us to try and dictate what people do. Leave that to the Govt. LOL
Old 04-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

sHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmhusa View Post
No need to lose your temper. The whole purpose of this forum is for people to read what works for others, and not for any one of us to try and dictate what people do. Leave that to the Govt. LOL

lolol. that comment made my day

I guess your right, there are pros/cons to each side. But we are all about saving money, none of us here are millionaires.

People dont want to set up a hard drive and yet they are on this site? They dont want to do things as cheaply as possible? They dont want to utilize devices they already have to the maximum potential they have? If any of that is true, they dont need to be on this site. In my eyes, spending $230 for a piece of hardware and software that you can buy for $50, in HD quality at that, is beyond me in any way, shape or form. Slingbox is cool, ill admit it was awesome when it was released in japan. but that was YEARS ago, there are much cheaper, more viable solutions for people who upgrade roms, edit registry entries, etc.

BTW- I have a slingbox. I actually have 2. I dont EVER use either....ever. I orb. Slingbox includes being able to watch dvr...and live tv. Orb does that, is a file browser for ur comp, streams audio, photos, contacts, and access webcams (in my case my security cameras in my house).

I dunno, someone make a viable case against orb. It isnt a preference thing, its a smarts thing. You either are smart, or rich and stupid.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touchpro
Carrier: sprint

mattkeo is a n00b

I used orb once, however, after being infected with viruses i quickly uninstalled.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 PM
N00b

drs6222 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sHockz View Post

What if I want to watch TV in St. Louis but am in school in another state?

Didn't think of that, did you?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jmaxman is just getting started

Anyone heard of this streaming hardware Hava Gold ?
Old 04-16-2008, 03:01 AM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Go to http://blue-mobile.com/ on your phone.......
Lots of channels even Fox.......

Last edited by Lsme420; 04-16-2008 at 03:04 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:14 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsme420 View Post
Go to http://blue-mobile.com/ on your phone.......
Lots of channels even Fox.......
dude.. sweet !!! bookmarked !
I was using http://featheredaccess.gotdns.com, but has limited channels and was hit or miss..

Last edited by Nickles; 04-16-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:47 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: sprint

sloop is a n00b

i use the slingbox/pro - i keep a window open on the pc instead of the tv - any pc with broadband - streams hd channels too - complete dvr control

most of d/fw has ev/do up so its nice when in the car - most airports too

the one limitation is that only one device (at a time) can stream from a slingbox

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan