PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

big3etr is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to big3etr Send a message via MSN to big3etr Send a message via Yahoo to big3etr
Re: Gmail App with New Rom

I'm a tool. I misread the OP. I apologize.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The Gmail applet worked beautifully on the beta ROM. It's unusable with the stock java in the new ROM.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

TalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuff

This Java Midlet Manager works great with the Gmail Midlet:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=10

Use the info here:
http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...t-manager.html

To get rid of the internet connection warning dialogs, and info on how to create a direct shortcut to the Gmail Midlet.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint (SERO)

qbunnie is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC303 View Post
Does using imap give you instant push or do you still have to send/recieve?
IMAP has push like message polling, but pocket outlook doesn't support that. Just checks on an interval you can set, from manual to 5 minutes or something like that.
Is the new JAVA VM still joedek? I still don't really know the differences real well anyways, lol.

Last edited by qbunnie; 03-12-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscalzott View Post
I never understand this type of reply. It's not constructive.

It's safe to assume that everyone knows the alternate methods of using GMail on their phone. But a new ROM came out and it apparently altered the behavior of an application. One that the original poster has an interest in fixing rather than moving to an alternative method and after appropriately attempting to verify if he is an isolated case.

It's worthwhile to talk about items that have changed with a ROM release, determining their scope as it pertains to others, and determining if there are ways to restore functionality. Without blindly suggesting alternate methods that dismiss the PROBLEM.

That being said, I've reproduced his results. It's definitely a change with the new ROM.
Normally I don't respond to this type of post, but I take exception. I was merely offering alternate methods for the user to access Gmail. I would also say that it is not safe to assume that any user knows any alternatives to any applications. This is well documented by how many merged threads there are and closed threads from Pibe and the other moderaters.

Have a good day and feel to reply or PM me, but I will not be replying publically.

A mass of tears have transformed to stones now sharpened on suffering and woven into slings...
Old 03-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: titan
Carrier: sprint

dave99 is a n00b

I installed jbed (not the java installed by default on the new stock rom) and installed the gmail app to that, and it works fine.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

jharp146 is just getting started

Is there a way to set up the Gmail app so that it works kind of like Outlook in that it will alert me whenever I have a new email? I'd prefer not to actually have to download all my emails to my phone, or at least I would like to delete them from my phone and not from my actual account. Also I like having threaded emails, both reasons I like the gmail app better but I do like that outlook alerts me. Anyway to set this up?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint (SERO)

qbunnie is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharp146 View Post
Is there a way to set up the Gmail app so that it works kind of like Outlook in that it will alert me whenever I have a new email? I'd prefer not to actually have to download all my emails to my phone, or at least I would like to delete them from my phone and not from my actual account. Also I like having threaded emails, both reasons I like the gmail app better but I do like that outlook alerts me. Anyway to set this up?
Yeah you can do all of that in IMAP. In fact, google has instructions themselves on how to set it up. Just go to gmail and click on help, and run a search for IMAP. IMAP works in poutlook, and you can set it to download headers only, and how often it polls GMail's servers. There is also the option not to delete messages on the server when deleting them on your phone. Although from what I understand, even when this setting is set to delete off the server, GMail just puts an IMAP/deleted tag on it. Unforunately, its going to be regular outlook when looking at the email, and not threaded like java gmail. That's really the only downside. I don't think you'll be able to get it to notify you when a new email comes in, though. It's a java app running on a virtual machine, I don't think it will have those capabilities. Sorry, hope this helped.

Last edited by qbunnie; 03-13-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

jharp146 is just getting started

Perfect. Thanks a bunch!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan