PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 04:10 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Apache
Carrier: Sprint

The_Omni is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Guys this isn't going to work on CDMA, either google needs to develop a module for CDMA or it simply can't be done on CDMA.

Welcome to GSM favoritism once again.

T_O
Old 12-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
I'm confused... I thought aGPS was triangulation. What's the difference?
Cell triangulation is based off of signal strength and calculations based on cell tower base. It's an old, universal system that pre-dates aGPS. It is also a lot less accurate, hence the 1/3 to 1 mile variance on location assessment with "My Location". It works on Sprint just as Live Search (for non-WM devices) on Sprint uses triangulation as well. Why it does not work on Sprint currently either has to do with Google not making it CDMA compatible or Sprint somehow not allowing it.

aGPS uses your location merely to tell the device what satellites (out of dozens, a lot are not relevant) to look at for data, reducing signal acquisition. It also can help compute the GPS data for faster location identification.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:49 PM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan

TC1 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

aGPS uses your location merely to tell the device what satellites (out of dozens, a lot are not relevant) to look at for data, reducing signal acquisition. It also can help compute the GPS data for faster location identification.
I know we've been over this, but again, based on real world experience and developing apps, this is not entirely true when it comes to CDMA cell phone application of aGPS.

Your statement above implies that aGPS is simply used to assist a satellite based GPS device, correct? I've unlocked my wife's LG Fusic which has NO stand-alone GPS capability, and installed mGMAPS which accesses the Java aGPS API. The accuracy provided is less than about 50 feet... I can literally walk around my house and around the block and the map will follow me precisely at a street level view. In this case aGPS is using the Assistance Server data that is on the carrier's network, the same thing that is available to e911. This data is very precise (but not as good as true sat-based GPS) because it uses data from multiple towers.

The application and the phone are using aGPS with NO sat-based data from the phone. And it's pretty precise.

Malatesta, I noticed you're on Long Island... I'm in Nassau County. If you ever want to discuss cell phone issues and GPS in person let me know. The sharing of knowledge is always a good thing
Old 12-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC1 View Post
I know we've been over this, but again, based on real world experience and developing apps, this is not entirely true when it comes to CDMA cell phone application of aGPS.

Your statement above implies that aGPS is simply used to assist a satellite based GPS device, correct? I've unlocked my wife's LG Fusic which has NO stand-alone GPS capability, and installed mGMAPS which accesses the Java aGPS API. The accuracy provided is less than about 50 feet... I can literally walk around my house and around the block and the map will follow me precisely at a street level view. In this case aGPS is using the Assistance Server data that is on the carrier's network, the same thing that is available to e911. This data is very precise (but not as good as true sat-based GPS) because it uses data from multiple towers.

The application and the phone are using aGPS with NO sat-based data from the phone. And it's pretty precise.

Malatesta, I noticed you're on Long Island... I'm in Nassau County. If you ever want to discuss cell phone issues and GPS in person let me know. The sharing of knowledge is always a good thing
It's true, gpsOne can operate in 4 different modes. But in all of those modes, the gpsOne chip is pulling some sat data down, just not enough to be valuable. So the servers help compute what little data they can pull and also pull their own sat data.

If you look up gpsOne on wiki, it explains all four possible modes. Standalone is one of them, but it appears it may be dependent on an internal GPS antenna, which of course most devices do not have--so the other 3 are generally used at some level, depending on the setup.

Regardless: correct aGPS is very accurate as you mention. Google Maps with "My Location" is *not* accurate (between 1/3 to 3 miles--source)--hence why I know this is not aGPs but triangulation.

So my argument is as follows:

aGPS + Triangulation = different technology
aGPS = accurate (< 500 feet--within 50 feet by some users experiences)
Triangulation = not accurate (1/3 to 3 miles) <-- this is why we had the e911 mandate!
"My Location" = not accurate

Therefore, Google Maps "My Location" = Triangulation...that and Google has said so press releases and demo video

Last edited by Malatesta; 12-01-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:03 AM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan

TC1 is a n00b
Actually, I must correct myself and apologize... I've been doing further research for a proposed project and I'm leaning more towards the theory that my wife's LG Fusic (and other Java based Sprint flip-phones) are actually using Advanced Forward Link Trilateration, which is the technology that uses the network carrier's LBS servers and tower info. It's just one-step below GPS in terms of accuracy.

Getting back to the Titan: I've been beating my head against a wall on this unit's capabilities, Sprint has purposely lobotomized and/or locked down the necessary API. I've read countless horror stories about other developers losing their minds trying to get at the GPS functionality in the phone. The only way someone is going to do it before Sprint does is if they can get their hands on a CDMA ROM that has working GPS and somehow extract the code that provides the Qualcomm GPS API... unfortunately I know of no such phone that exists yet, does anyone?
Old 02-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

shellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to shellguy Send a message via MSN to shellguy Send a message via Yahoo to shellguy
can someone tell me if i can get GPS one working with the Mogule with just an installer instead of DL the GPS sprint update..

will
Old 02-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
No. Right now, the gps hardware is invisible to applications until you update the firmware to recognize it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan