View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Malatesta
Moderator/WMExperts Staff

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC1 View Post
I know we've been over this, but again, based on real world experience and developing apps, this is not entirely true when it comes to CDMA cell phone application of aGPS.

Your statement above implies that aGPS is simply used to assist a satellite based GPS device, correct? I've unlocked my wife's LG Fusic which has NO stand-alone GPS capability, and installed mGMAPS which accesses the Java aGPS API. The accuracy provided is less than about 50 feet... I can literally walk around my house and around the block and the map will follow me precisely at a street level view. In this case aGPS is using the Assistance Server data that is on the carrier's network, the same thing that is available to e911. This data is very precise (but not as good as true sat-based GPS) because it uses data from multiple towers.

The application and the phone are using aGPS with NO sat-based data from the phone. And it's pretty precise.

Malatesta, I noticed you're on Long Island... I'm in Nassau County. If you ever want to discuss cell phone issues and GPS in person let me know. The sharing of knowledge is always a good thing
It's true, gpsOne can operate in 4 different modes. But in all of those modes, the gpsOne chip is pulling some sat data down, just not enough to be valuable. So the servers help compute what little data they can pull and also pull their own sat data.

If you look up gpsOne on wiki, it explains all four possible modes. Standalone is one of them, but it appears it may be dependent on an internal GPS antenna, which of course most devices do not have--so the other 3 are generally used at some level, depending on the setup.

Regardless: correct aGPS is very accurate as you mention. Google Maps with "My Location" is *not* accurate (between 1/3 to 3 miles--source)--hence why I know this is not aGPs but triangulation.

So my argument is as follows:

aGPS + Triangulation = different technology
aGPS = accurate (< 500 feet--within 50 feet by some users experiences)
Triangulation = not accurate (1/3 to 3 miles) <-- this is why we had the e911 mandate!
"My Location" = not accurate

Therefore, Google Maps "My Location" = Triangulation...that and Google has said so press releases and demo video

Last edited by Malatesta; 12-01-2007 at 10:34 PM.