PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: VZW

kev2 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question What's the point?

Just curious... Educate me please!

I have been watching these forums ever since I got my Verizon Imagio last Nov (09).

I got caught up in the hype of waiting for the HSPL, and the ability to unlock my phone, and checked back daily for the big news. The day finally came, and I held back...

In the meantime, I updated my phone to Verizon's latest version, too chicken to reflash my phone.

I have now been watching all the posts about the latest and greatest ROMS/kitchens/etc, and have noticed a few underlying themes:

1) There is always an issue with an application (or several)
2) You become dependant on the next release, and are at the mercy of the so-called "chef" to prepare a new ROM to fix all the problems not tested for in the first place
3) Your phone may become a brick if the chef isn't paying attention

What I have experienced with my STOCK Imagio with the Verizon update:

1) Stability
2) Memory consistently hovers around 56% when nothing running except for Sense, and 70-87 with 1-10 apps open
3) Never crashed yet
4) Apps work as advertised (even the new Bing with voice installed and is running with no problem)
5) SMS/MMS messages work without issues
6) No tweaks to the registry are needed

So that brings me to my subject: What's the point?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

heydr is keeping up the good workheydr is keeping up the good work
Re: What's the point?

custom roms are for enthusiasts and/or people with specific needs. every rom has different advantages.

in a nutshell....custom roms run faster, they run newer versions (6.5.x and sense). the point is to make your phone function the best it can for you. if the stock rom fits your needs that is fine. drellis roms fit my needs perfecty, theyre clean, up to date and hes great with support. energy cooks in useful apps and is blazing fast. all of them have different advantages. you should try some.

Last edited by heydr; 05-20-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Uh Oh!!
Get ready OP!
This may get ugly...
Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

heydr is keeping up the good workheydr is keeping up the good work
Red face Re: What's the point?

it will
Old 05-20-2010, 09:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

fluidj is becoming a great contributor

It's a geek thing, you wouldn't understand.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio™

y0himba is keeping up the good worky0himba is keeping up the good worky0himba is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to y0himba Send a message via AIM to y0himba Send a message via MSN to y0himba Send a message via Yahoo to y0himba Send a message via Skype™ to y0himba

Wait...there is an official Verizon update? Where?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc imagio
Carrier: verizon wireless

jadedame is keeping up the good workjadedame is keeping up the good work

I completely agree with heydr. Unless you're an enthusiast about your phone and the many many many capabilities that it CAN have compared to the stock version, then you really wouldn't be interested in flashing ROMS.

The imagio is my very first smart phone and I'm one of those that really wants to understand everything my phone can do for me, whether i want to use those functionalities or not. Custom ROMS gives you so much more options all the while making the phone fast and easier to use. With the stock ROMS, you just keep adding more and more .cabs (or change the manila files which is crazy to get into) in order to really customize your phone to the way you want it to look and perform better and that really hogs up the memory which makes the phone slows down much on functionality. I was really happy w/ JMart's tweaks for the original ROM but it really does not beat the fastness of a custom ROM with everything already cooked in and you don't have to worry about hogging more memory for customization.

Although there are issues with the chefs' ROMS, most of them really do look into them based on users' inputs and they do provide feedbacks. I can almost guarantee if you ask anyone whether they would go back to their original verizon ROM after they've flashed, they would say hek no simply because they are so use to the features that these custom ROMS have made available. I know for sure that i will never go back to the original
Old 05-20-2010, 12:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

nsa_sailor is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnsa_sailor is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnsa_sailor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0himba View Post
http://www.pcdphones.com/phone_downl...zon%20Wireless
Old 05-21-2010, 02:08 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

thepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0himba View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa_sailor View Post
NSA - I could be wrong (but I was detecting a little sarcasm from yohimba.

I think custom roms are cool. I certainly agree that I don't like dealing with roms that have all kinds of issues. But Adortabs Rom (MyCleanImagio) is basically the stock rom with a lot of the unwanted junk removed and some very nice visual enhancements. Spetrillo's 6.5.x is very stable and all of the normal stuff works right from the getgo. Not All of them have issues - while some of them certainly have issues that for me make them unusable. Just my 2 pennies.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio™

y0himba is keeping up the good worky0himba is keeping up the good worky0himba is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to y0himba Send a message via AIM to y0himba Send a message via MSN to y0himba Send a message via Yahoo to y0himba Send a message via Skype™ to y0himba

There was a bit of sarcasm there as Verizon has not released any updates on their site nor has HTC. They seem to have forgotten this phone and it is without a doubt one of the best phones out there. It is simply amazing.

Can you link me to "Spetrillo's 6.5x"? I like MyCleanImagio a lot, but some of the points in the OP are valid. What the OP fails to see is that custom ROMS fix a lot of the issues that the manufacturer or distributor won't such as the horrible memory leak in the Imagio. However, they are really for enthusiasts.

I have all the necessary tools for flashing my phone sitting here on the drive including the MyCleanIMagio ROM, but just cannot seem to get the balls to do it. I am set in my ways with my phone, and love it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio