PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"
Carrier: Sprint

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2 Questions: Sync and Notifications

Couple of questions:
1. HTC Sync: is there anything that needs to be installed on the phone? HTC's instructions on the support site just says load HTC Sync and then connect via USB and then Sync should detect it, but my Sync isn't detecting it. Suggestions?
2. Notifications: Is there a way to get a custom ringtone as a notification so thats what I hear when I get a text for example? I figured out custom tones for Contacts but not notifications.
I've tried setting it as a contact ringtone first and that didn't work, and trying to move it from the sd card to system/audio/notifications didn't work either

thanks
Old 10-16-2009, 11:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cordevil95 is keeping up the good workcordevil95 is keeping up the good work
Re: 2 Questions: Sync and Notifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
Couple of questions:
2. Notifications: Is there a way to get a custom ringtone as a notification so thats what I hear when I get a text for example? I figured out custom tones for Contacts but not notifications.
I've tried setting it as a contact ringtone first and that didn't work, and trying to move it from the sd card to system/audio/notifications didn't work either

thanks
So are you wanting to make contact based notifications? Like, you want John's text notification to be differant than Sally's?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

superman.namrepus is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
Couple of questions:
1. HTC Sync: is there anything that needs to be installed on the phone? HTC's instructions on the support site just says load HTC Sync and then connect via USB and then Sync should detect it, but my Sync isn't detecting it. Suggestions?

thanks

I am using an app from Android Market called Rings Extended. I placed a folder on my storage card and named it Ring tones and when using rings extended it automatically recognizes that fold and lets me use those for all my notifications. I hope this helps.

As for your second question. If you don't already know there is an update for HTC sync. And it gives pretty good instructions to set up.

http://www.htc.com/us/SupportDownloa...at=3&dl_id=716

Kevin
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:40 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Threadstarter

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordevil95 View Post
So are you wanting to make contact based notifications? Like, you want John's text notification to be differant than Sally's?
no i'm not worried about getting specific notifications per contact i just want to use a sound for notifications that isn't in HTC's list

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman.namrepus View Post
I am using an app from Android Market called Rings Extended. I placed a folder on my storage card and named it Ring tones and when using rings extended it automatically recognizes that fold and lets me use those for all my notifications. I hope this helps.

As for your second question. If you don't already know there is an update for HTC sync. And it gives pretty good instructions to set up.

http://www.htc.com/us/SupportDownloa...at=3&dl_id=716

Kevin
i did grab the update and its still not connecting how HTC says it will and i can't get my computer to recognize anything other than the USB drive
and i'll check out that app, thanks
Old 10-17-2009, 07:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cordevil95 is keeping up the good workcordevil95 is keeping up the good work

Oh, I just put all my notification sounds in \SDCard\notifications.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordevil95 View Post
Oh, I just put all my notification sounds in \SDCard\notifications.
wow, thats one i should've thought of, i guess ive been away from WinMo too long, used to use those 'tricks' all the time
anyway, that changed system notifications but it didn't change the text message sound. ideas?

now to get into a brawl with HTC sync

Last edited by jbearamus; 10-17-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:07 AM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

I think the version that comes on the Hero is more recent than whats on their website. I have 2.0.5 installed and when I went to their website it showed 2.0.4

I've had success syncing by pulling the notifications bar down (or from the 'Home' screen hit 'Menu>Notifications') and selecting 'HTC Sync':
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.

Last edited by dannzeman; 10-18-2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: i'm retarded
Old 10-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
I think the version that comes on the Hero is more recent than whats on their website. I have 2.0.5 installed and when I went to their website it showed 2.0.4

I've had success syncing by pulling the notifications bar down (or from the 'Home' screen hit 'Menu>Notifications') and selecting 'HTC Sync':
odd, the version i pulled off my hero was 2.0.4
and when i plug my Hero in the notifications bar doesn't say anything about sync, it just lists USB connected. then on the desktop in HTC Sync the Synchronize Now button is faded out
Old 10-18-2009, 04:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, HTC Evo

Askym is becoming a great contributor

i have been fighting the sync program ever since i got the phone last week. sometimes it works sometimes (like now) it doesnt. sometimes it connects but doesnt import anything. htc really screwed the pooch on this sync program. my htc touch never had problems with sync....never!
Old 10-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askym View Post
i have been fighting the sync program ever since i got the phone last week. sometimes it works sometimes (like now) it doesnt. sometimes it connects but doesnt import anything. htc really screwed the pooch on this sync program. my htc touch never had problems with sync....never!
well with the touch you had microsoft software syncing through microsoft software syncing to microsoft software and if theres one thing MS can do its maintain consistency and a stable ecosystem, as long as everything is theirs. the Hero on the other hand, Google software through HTC software to MS software, plenty of things to go wrong, i just hope they fix it with an update soon

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero