PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 12:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: sprint

esoteric1311 is keeping up the good workesoteric1311 is keeping up the good workesoteric1311 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: May have to hard reset Hero....some advice/help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicToastKatz View Post
If i'm not mistaken, you can make the Nandroid backup right from the Kitchen, no?

I have a little reading to do this week and I'll decide if I'm going to take the plunge

This is coming from a guy who was WAYYYYY to skeptical and careful flashing when the Rev. A update "unofficially" came out for the Vogue 2 years ago
yeah you can. its easy to do it from your phone also. just hold the home + power, then navigate the user friendly menu.

Freshhhh.. 1.0
Clear as a Bell theme
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:15 AM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
If i'm not mistaken, you can make the Nandroid backup right from the Kitchen, no?

I have a little reading to do this week and I'll decide if I'm going to take the plunge

This is coming from a guy who was WAYYYYY to skeptical and careful flashing when the Rev. A update "unofficially" came out for the Vogue 2 years ago
I was in your shoes man! I didn't run a custom on my Vogue, in fact because I liked the unofficial rom more I ran that instead of the Official. I flashed my TP a few times, but went stock until I discovered Mighty Rom 6.5. That was the only reason I flashed it toward the end. I ran my Treo Stock too, which was bc at the time it hadn't been unlocked, but I can tell you firsthand, this is easier and more fun haha.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

ToxicToastKatz is keeping up the good workToxicToastKatz is keeping up the good work

I posted this over at Androidforums.com as well, but I value everyone's opinion/input, especially County and Esoteric for what they've given so far:

ok....this may or may not be a series of stupid questions (I hope it's the latter instead of the former):

So, I've been doing a bit of reading on rooting and flashing a custom ROM. It appears that, while there is no clear-cut winner, Fresh 1.1 seems to be a little more heavily favored as the choice to go with.

My original reason for contemplating rooting/flashing was pretty much what everyone else's is: Speed (or lack thereof, smoothness, responsiveness, etc.). I was having issues with the phone running slower than a dog and things just not working right, plus, something was keeping it awake, and thus bleeding my battery dry. I've identified the culprits of all of the problems (SMS Backup was keeping my phone awake at all times, which sucks, because that is a great app, and Lookout Mobile Security was slowing down the whole phone to a crawl) and have since deleted them from my phone. Everything seems to be running hunky-dory right now. The phone moves pretty quickly, responds pretty easily and doesn't really lag at all. However, there are a few issues I still have with the phone that I was curious to see if rooting/flashing to a custom ROM will fix.

1. For whatever reason, my WiFi will not stay connected to my work's wireless router. I don't really have that problem at home or anywhere else I can pick up WiFi, so my suspicion is that it's just the router or the strength of signal. I guess, generally, do any of the custom ROMs increase the WiFi stability (or is this just a router specific issue that is a non-issue for everyone else)?

2. Location Updating: I've noticed that while driving through different towns, I can have my phone awake on the home screen and the HTC Clock and Weather widgets will not "follow my location". I guess I don't expect it to change with every different town I cross, but there have been times where I've passed through 8 different towns, gotten to my destination, had the phone's home screen with the widgets up for a good 5 minutes and it still doesn't update. Do any of the ROMs fix any location issues?

3. GPS: I've noticed quite a few people on here post that their GPS is screwy. I've really only noticed it with Google Maps, but there are times where it places me 3 states over from where I am. Are there any improvements there?

4. Radio/Phone Signal: I don't know if it's my particular hardware, but in certain areas where I should be getting, and have gotten with different phones, a great signal, I'm getting marginal signal. Like, 1 or 2 bars. I've actually roamed quite a few times in my office building, where that has never happened with my previous Sprint phones. I live in the 2nd largest city in Illinois (besides Chicago), so it's not like I'm out in the sticks. I should have great coverage everywhere. Any improvements here?

5. Web Browser/Data Speeds: The reason I asked the above question is because I've seen a few people state that their web browsing/data transfer speeds have increased while on the EVDO signal. If this is possible, I'm thinking there may be an improvement in the phone signal as well. Regardless, are the data speeds and web browsing, in fact, speedier with custom ROMS? If so, how is that possible (I'm just more curious than anything).

6. Certain Functions not working?: I've read quite a bit on the different ROMS, and to be honest, it's a bit too much info. I'm quite confused. Would I be correct in my assumption that MoDaCo's ROM and Fresh 1.1 are non-beta ROMS? In other words, flashing to either one of those, as opposed to other beta ROMS, does not mean sacrificing standard operations? I've read that certain ROMS work, for the most part, but certain things, such as the camera or visual voicemail, don't currently work. Is everything operational w/ Fresh 1.1 and Modaco? Are all the HTC SenseUI functions (Facebook integration, Contact integration w/ texts and emails, etc) still operational?

Guys, I sincerly appreciate anyone who takes the time to read all of this and the effort to respond. I like to think of myself as quite informed on this stuff, and while I realize that this topic has been covered at length, I don't think I've seen these particular questions asked or addressed.

Again, I'm just trying to determine if rooting is for me. Right now my phone seems to be functioning very nicely and if there is no real advantage to do so over what I have, I don't want to risk screwing anything up.

My other concern, although after reading, I think it's moot, is that once 2.1 is released, I'd like to be able to update to that OTA. Based on what I've found out through research, that's nothing more than flashing back to the Stock RUU and updating through the Settings menu. My assumption is that doing this step, however, would require a complete wipe of all info/settings on the phone since you'd be going back to stock as opposed to a Nandroid backup.

Again guys/gals, thanks in advance for any info.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

esoteric1311 is keeping up the good workesoteric1311 is keeping up the good workesoteric1311 is keeping up the good work

#1 - no.. that's a router/hardware related issue.

#2 - Location updating has been a culprit of diminished battery life, as it is always polling for location. with Fresh 1.1, I believe he removed it so it didn't drain the battery. The other ROMs, I don't know. I'm running TTG right now, and it updates once in awhile. Not a big thing to me, but you can always check it manually.

#3 - that's a google problem. I've had it happen to me too

#4 - again.. signal strength/reception is hardware related

#5 - I believe some of the ROMs compress some of the data to increase browsing speeds, but don't quote me on that. If you are on EVDO it will be faster than 1x. Also try Dolphin Browser for faster page loading. Remember, this is a Phone, not a computer, so it won't load that fast.

#6 - SenseUI is fully functional in all ROMs unless it is an AOSP, then its plain vanilla. Everything is fully functional, unless stated (like in 1.6 and 2.1 ROMs) or it has been removed and stated.

Just root the phone, if you don't like it than go back to stock. by rooting you can play with different ROMs until you find one you like. As long as you don't flash a different radio, you can always go back.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

ToxicToastKatz is keeping up the good workToxicToastKatz is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric1311;1504515
#2 - Location updating has been a culprit of diminished battery life, as it is always polling for location. with Fresh 1.1, I believe he removed it so it didn't drain the battery. The other ROMs, I don't know. I'm running TTG right now, and it updates once in awhile. Not a big thing to me, but you can always check it manually.

[B
When you say "removed it" does that take away any functionality of the phone or any applications? Does this mean that Latitude in GoogleMaps won't work, or that the clock won't update at all? BTW, what is "TTG"?[/B]

Is this common among the Hero users or do I have a bad unit? I've never dropped calls, but when I'm not connected to my work's WiFi, my battery gets killed by all the updating the phone has to do over a weak signal. It's not a huge deal at work since I have a charger in front of me, but I'm still curious if it will be an issue in other locations where WiFi is not available and I have a poor signal.

#5 - I believe some of the ROMs compress some of the data to increase browsing speeds, but don't quote me on that. If you are on EVDO it will be faster than 1x. Also try Dolphin Browser for faster page loading. Remember, this is a Phone, not a computer, so it won't load that fast.

Yea, I realize it's not going to be blazing fast, but I've just read some people say that the browser is faster and I was just curious as to how much faster. Even when I'm on WiFi w/ a strong signal, webpages can sometimes hang towards the end if there is a lot to DL.

#6 - SenseUI is fully functional in all ROMs unless it is an AOSP, then its plain vanilla. Everything is fully functional, unless stated (like in 1.6 and 2.1 ROMs) or it has been removed and stated.

So it's basically the beta builds (anything other than 1.5) in which some stuff doesn't work? That's a good thing to know.

Like I've said earlier, if I end up doing this, I'm going to try to stay as close to stock as possible, because quite honestly, I really like the look of the stock. There are enough customizations available to where I don't really need to get too fancy in that regard.

Anyway, thanks Eso for chiming in. County...anything to add? You guys are awesome!!

thanks again!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:07 PM
White Monster > Red Bull

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
I posted this over at Androidforums.com as well, but I value everyone's opinion/input, especially County and Esoteric for what they've given so far:

ok....this may or may not be a series of stupid questions (I hope it's the latter instead of the former):

So, I've been doing a bit of reading on rooting and flashing a custom ROM. It appears that, while there is no clear-cut winner, Fresh 1.1 seems to be a little more heavily favored as the choice to go with.

My original reason for contemplating rooting/flashing was pretty much what everyone else's is: Speed (or lack thereof, smoothness, responsiveness, etc.). I was having issues with the phone running slower than a dog and things just not working right, plus, something was keeping it awake, and thus bleeding my battery dry. I've identified the culprits of all of the problems (SMS Backup was keeping my phone awake at all times, which sucks, because that is a great app, and Lookout Mobile Security was slowing down the whole phone to a crawl) and have since deleted them from my phone. Everything seems to be running hunky-dory right now. The phone moves pretty quickly, responds pretty easily and doesn't really lag at all. However, there are a few issues I still have with the phone that I was curious to see if rooting/flashing to a custom ROM will fix.

1. For whatever reason, my WiFi will not stay connected to my work's wireless router. I don't really have that problem at home or anywhere else I can pick up WiFi, so my suspicion is that it's just the router or the strength of signal. I guess, generally, do any of the custom ROMs increase the WiFi stability (or is this just a router specific issue that is a non-issue for everyone else)?

2. Location Updating: I've noticed that while driving through different towns, I can have my phone awake on the home screen and the HTC Clock and Weather widgets will not "follow my location". I guess I don't expect it to change with every different town I cross, but there have been times where I've passed through 8 different towns, gotten to my destination, had the phone's home screen with the widgets up for a good 5 minutes and it still doesn't update. Do any of the ROMs fix any location issues?

3. GPS: I've noticed quite a few people on here post that their GPS is screwy. I've really only noticed it with Google Maps, but there are times where it places me 3 states over from where I am. Are there any improvements there?

4. Radio/Phone Signal: I don't know if it's my particular hardware, but in certain areas where I should be getting, and have gotten with different phones, a great signal, I'm getting marginal signal. Like, 1 or 2 bars. I've actually roamed quite a few times in my office building, where that has never happened with my previous Sprint phones. I live in the 2nd largest city in Illinois (besides Chicago), so it's not like I'm out in the sticks. I should have great coverage everywhere. Any improvements here?

5. Web Browser/Data Speeds: The reason I asked the above question is because I've seen a few people state that their web browsing/data transfer speeds have increased while on the EVDO signal. If this is possible, I'm thinking there may be an improvement in the phone signal as well. Regardless, are the data speeds and web browsing, in fact, speedier with custom ROMS? If so, how is that possible (I'm just more curious than anything).

6. Certain Functions not working?: I've read quite a bit on the different ROMS, and to be honest, it's a bit too much info. I'm quite confused. Would I be correct in my assumption that MoDaCo's ROM and Fresh 1.1 are non-beta ROMS? In other words, flashing to either one of those, as opposed to other beta ROMS, does not mean sacrificing standard operations? I've read that certain ROMS work, for the most part, but certain things, such as the camera or visual voicemail, don't currently work. Is everything operational w/ Fresh 1.1 and Modaco? Are all the HTC SenseUI functions (Facebook integration, Contact integration w/ texts and emails, etc) still operational?

Guys, I sincerly appreciate anyone who takes the time to read all of this and the effort to respond. I like to think of myself as quite informed on this stuff, and while I realize that this topic has been covered at length, I don't think I've seen these particular questions asked or addressed.

Again, I'm just trying to determine if rooting is for me. Right now my phone seems to be functioning very nicely and if there is no real advantage to do so over what I have, I don't want to risk screwing anything up.

My other concern, although after reading, I think it's moot, is that once 2.1 is released, I'd like to be able to update to that OTA. Based on what I've found out through research, that's nothing more than flashing back to the Stock RUU and updating through the Settings menu. My assumption is that doing this step, however, would require a complete wipe of all info/settings on the phone since you'd be going back to stock as opposed to a Nandroid backup.

Again guys/gals, thanks in advance for any info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric1311 View Post
#1 - no.. that's a router/hardware related issue.

#3 - that's a google problem. I've had it happen to me too

Just root the phone, if you don't like it than go back to stock. by rooting you can play with different ROMs until you find one you like. As long as you don't flash a different radio, you can always go back.
Quote:
thanks again!
Just to add to his post, Fresh is chosen because he literally is updating us all the time. Flipz is always checking in to make sure everything is running good. This is the best custom Rom I have ran on any phone. Can't wait for his Full Kitchen he just announced.

1. WiFi connection will not be increased from any rom. I suggest checking the router and make sure you are close enough to it or see if they will put another antenna on it to extend the service.

2. Agreed Location will not be fixed. The best thing to do here is to set it to one town and leave it because of battery issues it caused, some even had it with stock roms.

3. Google Maps is Whack, use Sprint Nav or Waze. Make sure when you turn it on that you have hit find me on map. Also make sure in settings > location > that GPS is on.

4. No radios for Sprint Hero yet. If someone says there is, they're lying.

5. Eso is right, to elaborate they have taken Ads out of browsing, so we aren't waiting for eyesores to load, it will actually say failed to load, but that's ok with me, its not an ad and its faster!

6. There is nothing Beta about Fresh 1.1. I don't know about Modaco. Fresh 1.1 is a final product, he can add more to it if he wants, but there is nothing that isn't working. You may have to uninstall and reinstall WiFi Tether, but that is it. As far as compared to stock you are losing ZERO functionality. And Eso was right about Sense UI, it is fully functional on both roms. Mod 2 and Fresh 1.1.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

TTG is another ROM based one Modaco and Fresh. You can find it in the upgrade section of this forum.

When I say the location services has been disabled, it won't constantly try to update your location. As with anything, when you constantly allow a service to run, it will take away from your battery life. That may be the answer you're looking for in question 4. I'm not sure why you mentioned dropped phone calls and WiFi in the same breath, but I'm thinking you're meaning two separate things. You have dropped calls, and when you have a weak Wi-Fi signal, it consumes more juice to update things.

ROMs will not solve dropped calls or low Wifi.. thats all hardware related.

Last edited by esoteric1311; 01-20-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric1311 View Post
TTG is another ROM based one Modaco and Fresh. You can find it in the upgrade section of this forum.

When I say the location services has been disabled, it won't constantly try to update your location. As with anything, when you constantly allow a service to run, it will take away from your battery life. That may be the answer you're looking for in question 4. I'm not sure why you mentioned dropped phone calls and WiFi in the same breath, but I'm thinking you're meaning two separate things. You have dropped calls, and when you have a weak Wi-Fi signal, it consumes more juice to update things.

ROMs will not solve dropped calls or low Wifi.. thats all hardware related.

yea, i got all that. I meant that when WiFi goes out at work, I'm relying on EVDO/1x to get updates and data. When I'm getting a weak signal, it has to work harder, no? I just brought up the no dropped calls thing because I'm getting a weak signal (1 bar, and sometimes roaming) so data takes FOREVER but i can still make and receive phone calls w/ no problem.

Anyway, thanks a ton for the info. I'm seriously debating doing this

With regards to the location setting....I'm not really having battery issues, so is there a way to restore those settings if i flash to Fresh?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:22 PM
White Monster > Red Bull

Quote:
yea, i got all that. I meant that when WiFi goes out at work, I'm relying on EVDO/1x to get updates and data. When I'm getting a weak signal, it has to work harder, no? I just brought up the no dropped calls thing because I'm getting a weak signal (1 bar, and sometimes roaming) so data takes FOREVER but i can still make and receive phone calls w/ no problem.

Anyway, thanks a ton for the info. I'm seriously debating doing this

With regards to the location setting....I'm not really having battery issues, so is there a way to restore those settings if i flash to Fresh?
Yea it is in the kitchen.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero

Tags
hard, reboot, reset