PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 02:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: sprint

esoteric1311 is keeping up the good workesoteric1311 is keeping up the good workesoteric1311 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: May have to hard reset Hero....some advice/help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacounty View Post
I had mine updated before most people had a chance to check on their phones. Immediately flipz had a rom with the fix. So I would say it isn't slower, its just not OTA. And it will definitely be possible or I would NOT be rooted! hahaha

Its pretty easy and when I have time this afternoon I can walk you through it if you'd like, I have helped a few others.
thacounty is great at helping. He helped me. but like i said previously, with the kitchen, you just download the kitchen, plug in your phone and press the autoroot icon, and voila!

and don't worry about the update, there's a lot of smart talented guys working it now!

Freshhhh.. 1.0
Clear as a Bell theme
Old 01-19-2010, 05:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

ToxicToastKatz is keeping up the good workToxicToastKatz is keeping up the good work

another question i have is this, What if i want to keep the stock ROM on the phone? I wouldn't mind removing some of the Sprint bloatware, but for the most part, i use what's on there and like the look and feel of the stock ROM. Can i still use the Autoroot from the kitchen?

My biggest fear is when I read that something rudimentary is buggy and not working in the new ROMS.

I have no need to tether, so that's not a concern. Apps2SD would be nice, but I've read it's not really recommended.

I'm so confused!!

One of my favorite things about this phone is the lack of screwing with it required to get a good unit and I'm afraid that if I root I'm going to spend a ton of time messing with the unit.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicToastKatz View Post
another question i have is this, What if i want to keep the stock ROM on the phone? I wouldn't mind removing some of the Sprint bloatware, but for the most part, i use what's on there and like the look and feel of the stock ROM. Can i still use the Autoroot from the kitchen?

My biggest fear is when I read that something rudimentary is buggy and not working in the new ROMS.

I have no need to tether, so that's not a concern. Apps2SD would be nice, but I've read it's not really recommended.

I'm so confused!!

One of my favorite things about this phone is the lack of screwing with it required to get a good unit and I'm afraid that if I root I'm going to spend a ton of time messing with the unit.
Autoroot will not change your Stock rom. It will stay the same except you will have root access. If you want stock feel go modaco 2.0.

I have nothing that isn't working on Fresh 1.1.

A2SD2, I didn't like at first, but now I have to have it because I have so many games.

It can be confusing sometimes.

Yea, I agree that it doesn't need much. I just rooted a guys phone and it took 30 mins to get exactly to the way he wanted it. You can spend as much or as little time working on the Hero as you want IMHO.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 PM
White Monster > Red Bull

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric1311 View Post
thacounty is great at helping. He helped me. but like i said previously, with the kitchen, you just download the kitchen, plug in your phone and press the autoroot icon, and voila!

and don't worry about the update, there's a lot of smart talented guys working it now!
Thanks bro.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

ToxicToastKatz is keeping up the good workToxicToastKatz is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Autoroot will not change your Stock rom. It will stay the same except you will have root access. If you want stock feel go modaco 2.0.

I have nothing that isn't working on Fresh 1.1.

A2SD2, I didn't like at first, but now I have to have it because I have so many games.

It can be confusing sometimes.

Yea, I agree that it doesn't need much. I just rooted a guys phone and it took 30 mins to get exactly to the way he wanted it. You can spend as much or as little time working on the Hero as you want IMHO.
Yea, there is just SOOOOO much to all of this. I'm debating it back and forth. I actually deleted a lot of problematic apps today, and the phone is back to snappy, freed up a bit of memory and it appears to be maintaining battery stamina again.

A few questions (I know I've asked this before, and thanks county for answering):

1. First off, can you run the Pre-Kitchen on a Mac? (If not, I could always do it at work).
2. If I decide to root, let me see if I have the steps correct:
a. download the Pre-Kitchen from geekforme.com. Extract files to folder.
b. download the Pre-Kitchen patch for auto root and replace the .exe in the folder you extracted with the patch .exe.
c. plug in phone w/ usb connection.
d. open Pre-Kitchen, hit Autoroot and you're done?
does this sound right?
3. If I use the Pre-Kitchen autoroot, once I'm rooted, I can then remove Sprint Bloatware and install only what I want (there's some stuff I don't need)
4. How do you install the Modoco ROM using the Pre-Kitchen, or do you not use the Pre-Kitchen for that?
5. Using Autoroot, do you still need to make that Nandroid backup thingy?
6. Would flashing the new ROM wipe out all of my info (in other words, a hard reset)?
7. Once 2.1 is released, can you go back to stock and do the OTA update, or is an update only possible using what's cooked up on here? In other words, if I want to go back to out of the box new, can I?

See...I have way too many questions, which pretty much indicates that I shouldn't be playing with fire....cause I don't wanna get burned
Old 01-19-2010, 10:11 PM
White Monster > Red Bull

Quote:
Yea, there is just SOOOOO much to all of this. I'm debating it back and forth. I actually deleted a lot of problematic apps today, and the phone is back to snappy, freed up a bit of memory and it appears to be maintaining battery stamina again.

A few questions (I know I've asked this before, and thanks county for answering):

1. First off, can you run the Pre-Kitchen on a Mac? (If not, I could always do it at work).
b. download the Pre-Kitchen patch for auto root and replace the .exe in the folder you extracted with the patch .exe.
does this sound right?
3. If I use the Pre-Kitchen autoroot, once I'm rooted, I can then remove Sprint Bloatware and install only what I want (there's some stuff I don't need)
4. How do you install the Modoco ROM using the Pre-Kitchen, or do you not use the Pre-Kitchen for that?
6. Would flashing the new ROM wipe out all of my info (in other words, a hard reset)?
7. Once 2.1 is released, can you go back to stock and do the OTA update, or is an update only possible using what's cooked up on here? In other words, if I want to go back to out of the box new, can I?

See...I have way too many questions, which pretty much indicates that I shouldn't be playing with fire....cause I don't wanna get burned

1. I don't think so.
2. Yea, there are a couple steps but they are just button presses. Make sure USB Debugging is on in settings>Applications>Development
3. Yea exactly.
4. You don't use the Pre-Kitchen. Put it on Root of SD card and boot into recovery (Turn off phone and power up holding volume down and end key, then press home, update from SD Choose zip) And choose Fresh or Modaco ROM, whichever you chose.
5. Yes, Before you flash, always have a Nandroid Backup on your phone. It is pretty easy from Recovery.
6. No, I have never heard of it doing this. That is why you have a backup though.
7. Yes, you can use the RUU to go stock. That will hard reset you. I suggest not doing it though and staying custom, because Flipz will have it out ASAP.

Nah, I understand caution. Haha you will do it easy.

PS: If you get out of memory errors in the kitchen reboot phone and pc and root again. It happens sometimes and is not a problem. Phone will not be bricked or anything.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

esoteric1311 is keeping up the good workesoteric1311 is keeping up the good workesoteric1311 is keeping up the good work

Quote:

does this sound right?

1. I'm 99% sure its only for windows
2. steps are correct but the site is geekfor.me
3. yes
4. Not sure about that.. help? thacounty?
5. yes. before you make ANY changes, do a backup just in case.
6. no
7. you can, but there may be a patch so you cannot root again. bottom line, there is always away to get to out of the box.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
1. I don't think so.
2. Yea, there are a couple steps but they are just button presses. Make sure USB Debugging is on in settings>Applications>Development
3. Yea exactly.
4. You don't use the Pre-Kitchen. Put it on Root of SD card and boot into recovery (Turn off phone and power up holding volume down and end key, then press home, update from SD Choose zip) And choose Fresh or Modaco ROM, whichever you chose.
5. Yes, Before you flash, always have a Nandroid Backup on your phone. It is pretty easy from Recovery.
6. No, I have never heard of it doing this. That is why you have a backup though.
7. Yes, you can use the RUU to go stock. That will hard reset you. I suggest not doing it though and staying custom, because Flipz will have it out ASAP.

Nah, I understand caution. Haha you will do it easy.

PS: If you get out of memory errors in the kitchen reboot phone and pc and root again. It happens sometimes and is not a problem. Phone will not be bricked or anything.
damn you bet me too it hahahaha
Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 PM
White Monster > Red Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric1311 View Post
damn you bet me too it hahahaha
Haha its all good. Thanks for correcting the site.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

If i'm not mistaken, you can make the Nandroid backup right from the Kitchen, no?

I have a little reading to do this week and I'll decide if I'm going to take the plunge

This is coming from a guy who was WAYYYYY to skeptical and careful flashing when the Rev. A update "unofficially" came out for the Vogue 2 years ago

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero

Tags
hard, reboot, reset