PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New EVO vs. Launch day EVO

My gf just got her EVO and I must say is faster than my overclocked one with an aosp Rom. What gives? Do these things really age that fast? Should I go back stock? Hahaha

Cooler than your EVO
Old 04-02-2011, 05:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO3D;EVO4G;TP2;Treo Pro;TP;Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

u8myfoood is keeping up the good worku8myfoood is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to u8myfoood
Re: New EVO vs. Launch day EVO

Faster in what way?
Also note that it may also be attributed to the stuff you have on the device, ie. build up of SMS and emails may also bog down the system a bit, since it has to continously process that information along with everything else at the same time. If you want do a NANDroid backup, clear data and everything else, then do a speed comparison.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

is your girlfriends a 0004 or is there something newer now? I know mines a 0004 and I got mine middle of December.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Master Kimosabi
Threadstarter

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
I'm not sure what she has since I didn't root yet. I think its 004 because she has the more pronounced powerbutton. I have 002. Her screen is way better too.

I flash every week or so so I can't imagine it being random junk on my phone. And I don't have all the bloatware she has.

Cooler than your EVO
Old 04-03-2011, 01:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

I have a 0002, 0003 and my daughter has a 0004. I cannot tell much difference. Our SpeedNets are the same.

A bigger SD card will slow you down. There is a price to pay managing more stuff on the card. Android indexes about everything opn your card in memory so if you have a gazillion songs, games, MP4 videos, etc., that has to be managed. She is probably sitting on an 80% empty 8 Gig Class 2.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Master Kimosabi
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkillen View Post
I have a 0002, 0003 and my daughter has a 0004. I cannot tell much difference. Our SpeedNets are the same.

A bigger SD card will slow you down. There is a price to pay managing more stuff on the card. Android indexes about everything opn your card in memory so if you have a gazillion songs, games, MP4 videos, etc., that has to be managed. She is probably sitting on an 80% empty 8 Gig Class 2.
Even though I have a class 6 thats half filled?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

Alpine- is keeping up the good workAlpine- is keeping up the good work

I can contribute a bit to this as I just restored and identical ROM + apps and all system data from an EVO hardware revision 0003 to a 0004 and noticed no difference in speed or responsiveness. So using the EXACT same software setup, performance was identical.

Obviously, I cannot speak for earlier hardware revisions though. Most of the time, they are minor changes in fabrication. For example, I've read that the 0004 revision fixed a screen bonding issue and the power button is slightly more upraised.

Unless you are comparing devices with the EXACT same rom + software and tweak, its hard to really say which is faster. I did notice the stock Sprint Rom on the new EVO was snappy. Of course, I run a LOT more stuff in the background once I get the phone the way I want it.

Here is a thread on observations and info about 0004 changes.
Quote:
Power button is higher, it is noticeably higher than my ver 0003
Volume buttons are higher as well
His capacitive buttons vibrate a bit better than mine
Epson screen
Hardware Version 0004 - Android Forums

Last edited by Alpine-; 04-04-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

JeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

My Rev 4 unit overclocks way better then my 03. Like Apline saud.. maybe better fabrication? Or just luck? I'm not sure.

I know the software is 10 times better then launch day. My phone is way more reliable then it was launch day.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

Alpine- is keeping up the good workAlpine- is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKay View Post
My Rev 4 unit overclocks way better then my 03. Like Apline saud.. maybe better fabrication? Or just luck? I'm not sure.

I know the software is 10 times better then launch day. My phone is way more reliable then it was launch day.
No doubt, software revisions make a HUGE difference. The hardware revisions are generally minor though. IMO, most of the time its to improve costs/yield. They will obviously fix a major issues, but they dont go around tweaking each version to make it better. They have moved on and revisions generally deal with mass production/fabrication and material sourcing logistics. The biggest "benefit" to have ever come out of the EVO revisions was a different/better camera (less blue tint) and this was just because they changed sourcing of the camera component. One commenter from this thread summed it up nicely.

Quote:
Coming from the consumer electronics industry, I can tell you that hardware revisions are always to the benefit of the Manufacturer.. In other words, cheaper to manufacture, and more profit margin. Any improvements are purely coincidental..
Hardware Version 0004 - Android Forums

I suspect that your overclocking difference is largely attributable to changes in the OS/software. The CPU are spec for spec identical and if the silicon was inferior in one fabrication and didn't clock right during testing, it wouldn't have passed spec. We know from observing the GPU market that when they change to a new die size in an older product for costs savings in mass production but keep the clock the same (old GPU lower clock, new product higher clock, same silicon essentially), we can see improvements in the older lines overclockability because its operating below the GPUs potential. However, don't think thats the case with these CPUs. I dont doubt you noticed a change, but its probably due to software revisions moreso than hardware.

Last edited by Alpine-; 04-04-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Master Kimosabi
Threadstarter

I remember the lag from the frame rate cap and the bloatware. Maybe I should get a 004 and then root that. Maybe I'll fly!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G